Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller fan that will fit LM7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smaller fan that will fit LM7?

I'm swapping in a 5.3 V8 into my 1991 Toyota Supra. 5.3 is from a 2001 Tahoe. I was wondering if there's a smaller diameter fan that would fit on the stock fan clutch. I'm wanting to stick with the stock fan/clutch set up. I'm in San Antonio, TX where it's very hot here. It will be 100* this weekend for starters. Electric fans will not cut it in my car. So again, is there a smaller fan I could use so I can close my hood? Thanks for any input.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Why not just cut down the fan blades?
BTW, there are electric fans that will out-flow the engine driven one. The biggest demand for a fan is when standing or in slow traffic, where electrics are going full tilt, and an engine driven fan is moving at its slowest.
A good, properly sized electric fan will out-perform an engine driven one any day.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Which aftermarket electric fans would those be??? A properly functioning fan, clutch and fan shroud will pull air like a beast. Even at low speed.
I've ran a single perma cool fan on my MKIII and it wouldn't stay cool. People said that fan was junk and told me to go dual flex a lite with shroud. Did that and car wouldn't keep its cool. Went back to stock fan clutch set up and was fine again. Electric fans don't work for a lot of us here in South Texas.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Every FWD vehicle you see on the road has an electric fan. Look around you in traffic some hot day at how many are sitting there with their windows rolled up and passengers in air-conditioned comfort, with no sign of motor distress.

Not surprised a flex fan didn't work. They never do. Never have except in the easiest cases. Amazing that people still buy that stuff.

I'd be looking at an electric setup if I were you. Just FYI, I put the electric setup out of about a 06 or 07 on my 04 Av w/ LM7, to replace the clutch fan it came with. It's NOTICEABLY better at cooling, especially when sitting still. And noticeably better gas mileage as well (if that's a concern for you).

I was in El Paso just yesterday. The rent-a-mule I had, with electric fan, seemed to keep me quite comfortable.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Every FWD vehicle you see on the road has an electric fan. Look around you in traffic some hot day at how many are sitting there with their windows rolled up and passengers in air-conditioned comfort, with no sign of motor distress.

Not surprised a flex fan didn't work. They never do. Never have except in the easiest cases. Amazing that people still buy that stuff.

I'd be looking at an electric setup if I were you. Just FYI, I put the electric setup out of about a 06 or 07 on my 04 Av w/ LM7, to replace the clutch fan it came with. It's NOTICEABLY better at cooling, especially when sitting still. And noticeably better gas mileage as well (if that's a concern for you).

I was in El Paso just yesterday. The rent-a-mule I had, with electric fan, seemed to keep me quite comfortable.
ALL pickups now sold also have electric fans
Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I'm running on my FC. Radiator is a 22x19x3. Fan shroud fits on the core like a glove. Temps around 205 in 85* weather.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Single large Taurus or Volvo fan will move as much air while you're sitting idle as a trimmed down mechanical truck fan will at 4000 RPM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeNova:
G Atsma (06-27-2022), Old Buzzard (06-29-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 07:53 PM
Teching In

I installed an eBay aluminum Chevy swap radiator and the contour fan. I am super happy with it so far. Even without the fan this radiator cools much better. I will have to get it on a trail ride to be sure but this seems to be cooling really well.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'm running a single Ford Contour fan with only the high speed wired up. On E85 I'm a worst of 205 in traffic and usually in the 190s cruising. In cold weather I hit 179F cruising. And I'm turbo charged.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
..... And I'm turbo charged.
We know, John, but we're talking cars here... LOL
The following users liked this post:
Pro Stock John (06-27-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Honestly, if there's no already figured out solution on the web, then you might want to look at your core area measurements, and go search a junkyard with a tape measure.

A good OEM electric fan usually is going to be just fine. Its not going to be a crutch if you have other issues, so make sure your radiator is big enough, that you have a properly working thermostat, and that your engine tuning/ignition timing isn't hurting you.

Are you struggling to keep it cool at a stop/very low speeds, or above ~30 mph? The fan only comes into play at low speed or when stopped. I've actually measured and typically fans are only generating about 10mph, give or take, and leading into the radiator.

In the case of my 71 GMC, for example, people figure out that mid 90s Ford Windstar fans fit almost perfectly. So I run those, with a 3 way relay setup (low = both fans on in series, high = both fans on in parallel). Its a heads/cam 6.0... With a stock 187 degree thermostat, I kick on the low speed at 205 degrees. If has never made it above ~208-209 degrees, in 5 seasons of running, even if we cruise in 90+ heat for 4 hours of stop-and-go on woodward cruise. Once running down the road, it will hold at 188-190 and no fans are needed. (Holley ECU shows exactly what fans outputs are on.)

In the case of my C4 with an LS2 swap, I just did actual measured testing, and am replacing my LT1 dual OEM electric fans with a pair of SPAL 12" fans, they are generating ~ 15% more airspeed through the radiator. The C4 has a very small air intake to the radiator, so they tend to run quite hot. Again, once cruising above 25mph, it will drop into the 180s and fans never run. This is with a 11.8:1 comp 403" motor. I wanted to run above 210 in town with the stock rad and fans, so I just swapped to a bigger radiator and the new SPAL fans.

In general, if there's an OEM fan that fits, its usually a good option. I've had decent luck with Dorman replacements, and with OEM junkyard stuff. For aftermarket, SPAL seems to be one of the best. I've had *OK* luck with flex-o-lite, but nothing special. A good tight fitting shroud, and as much fan diameter with good blades (not tiny thin slim-line type blades). You might need to check and make sure the air in the front is getting funneled/forced through the radiator, especially at speed. The Supra looks similar to the C4, with a 'bottom feeding' air intake for the radiator. In the C4, there is a lot of ducting/panels/shrouding to make sure all the air is ducted through the radiator. You may need to add trap doors in the shroud if you have high speed cooling issues.

Quick Reply: Smaller fan that will fit LM7?