LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Help with starter grind after start (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1899873-help-starter-grind-after-start.html)

RNation0001 06-05-2018 07:37 AM

Help with starter grind after start

So I've got a 6.0 out of a van. Starter doesnt grind when it's trying to start but u get a small grind right as it starts up. Is this something I need to fix with shims or something else ? Thanks in advance

bammax 06-05-2018 09:38 PM

Sounds like the starter isn't disengaging fast enough. Shims to move it back a little could help as long as it's still engaging well when you're starting. Too much shimming and you'll shear the ends of the teeth off the starter gear.

00pooterSS 06-07-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by RNation0001 (Post 19908824)
So I've got a 6.0 out of a van. Starter doesnt grind when it's trying to start but u get a small grind right as it starts up. Is this something I need to fix with shims or something else ? Thanks in advance

Hard to tell over the internet. Shimming is usually about trying different ones, but with late model engines shimming is dead. Sounds like you have a funny starter or something isn't jiving.

Originally Posted by bammax (Post 19909346)
Sounds like the starter isn't disengaging fast enough. Shims to move it back a little could help as long as it's still engaging well when you're starting. Too much shimming and you'll shear the ends of the teeth off the starter gear.

Can't shim it to move it back on an GM style. On a ford you could. You can shim the gear mesh to where the teeth aren't as far into the flex plate but that's up and down not front to back.

bammax 06-07-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS (Post 19910574)
Can't shim it to move it back on an GM style. On a ford you could. You can shim the gear mesh to where the teeth aren't as far into the flex plate but that's up and down not front to back.

Thanks for that correction. Last few starters I've dealt with have been on oldies. Haven't messed with one in a couple years thankfully lol

King23 06-07-2018 07:42 PM

I just dealt with this actually my 00 camaro would grind after it started for a few minutes finally at the gas station it wouldn't start luckily i tapped it with a wrench to get it to start, or i could have rolled it off anyways i got it home pulled starter and the teeth were chewed up pretty bad and had alot of surface rust in it, i changed the starter and no problems since shims and rebuilds on the newer stuff is almost non existent NOT saying its not possible though, im saying a trip to the local junkyard would probably be cheaper and easier, as it seems your starter is not disengaging after startup.

SmokeyCheese1 06-29-2018 08:52 AM

Weird. I'm having the identical issue with a 6.0 and a brand new delco starter. To me, it seems like the starter isn't automatically disengaging once the engine starts. Like the computer isn't detecting rpms to let the starter know the engine is running and to disengage. I could be way off on that.

bbond105 06-29-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SmokeyCheese1 (Post 19922358)
Weird. I'm having the identical issue with a 6.0 and a brand new delco starter. To me, it seems like the starter isn't automatically disengaging once the engine starts. Like the computer isn't detecting rpms to let the starter know the engine is running and to disengage. I could be way off on that.

Yes, you are way off the computer has nothing to do with the starter.

cookseyb 06-29-2018 10:15 AM

Bendix is sticking, you might try and put some antiseize on the shaft and exercising it to make sure it slides free before you install it..

00pooterSS 06-29-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by bbond105 (Post 19922391)
Yes, you are way off the computer has nothing to do with the starter.

Actually on some newer vehicles the PCM senses rpm and will over ride what you do with the key. For example you can bump the key and the starter will turn over the motor until it fires even if it takes several seconds.

SmokeyCheese1 07-12-2018 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS (Post 19922410)
Actually on some newer vehicles the PCM senses rpm and will over ride what you do with the key. For example you can bump the key and the starter will turn over the motor until it fires even if it takes several seconds.

I love this about my truck.