Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is worth getting my ls1 machined and rebuilt or lq9.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is worth getting my ls1 machined and rebuilt or lq9.

So I got a complete ls1 with a blown cylinder in a trade. Took it to the machine shop had it honed to 3.903 and bought wiseco forged pistons.. Had him skim the block, new cam bearings, cut the dome on the pistons to make them 0cc. Mounted them on my stock rods, polish the crank. Balance the assembly. Now he saying 1600 is the balance. I gave him 200 before so that's 1800 total which I think is way too much for what he did. Plus I paid for the pistons and rings and brought them to him which was 420. So I'm 600 outta pocket so far. 1600 more to go. By the time I get rods and mains, oil pump and lower gasket set I'm at 2k outta pocket plus the 600. I think I should cut my losses and leave the whole set up. I can get a lq9 for 1150, cam, head gasket kit and ruin my ls1 intake, ecm and harness with my 243 heads Bennie I even get close to what is have in the ls1 short block... Opinions?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I went from a LS1 to a LQ9. As long as you don't mind the extra 100 lbs it's a good way to go. I do like the extra torque from having a 6.0
Old 07-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I went from a LS1 to a LQ9. As long as you don't mind the extra 100 lbs it's a good way to go. I do like the extra torque from having a 6.0
yeah that's what in thinking. The lq9 has 147 for 1150. Ok throwing away 600+ if I ditch the ls1 but the lq9 short block for 1150 vs 2k for the balance of machine work and bearings. Kinda hard to justify.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 196 Likes on 134 Posts

If you were not certain of what his charges would be going in.... With the work that you needed done... Welp, I agree.. Cut your losses and just buy another complete, running engine. It sucks for him that he is going to be left holding the bag.. Maybe he can sell your parts and recoup the loss for his time/labor/materials... Going forward, you should have something IN WRITING long BEFORE you leave parts at a machine shop.

I can't imagine what could add up to $1800 in machine work. Maybe he's hoping you will abandon the parts because he has someone else that will buy that stuff????? I have never in my lifetime spent $1800 on machine work.. But then again I only build "street" type builds with 90% factory parts. The proper thing to do here would be to talk to the machine shop and explain that you did not realize it was going to cost this much and that you don't have the $$ to finish the project and see what you guys can work out. It's an aluminum block so maybe he knows he can sell those parts and recoup his losses pretty easily. I don't know how the work you mentioned could balloon to $1800 though.. You are BOTH at fault here. Him for not asking for more $$ as a deposit, and you for not asking/understanding exactly what the charges were before you allowed the work to begin. Best of luck with your project.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
If you were not certain of what his charges would be going in.... With the work that you needed done... Welp, I agree.. Cut your losses and just buy another complete, running engine. It sucks for him that he is going to be left holding the bag.. Maybe he can sell your parts and recoup the loss for his time/labor/materials... Going forward, you should have something IN WRITING long BEFORE you leave parts at a machine shop.

I can't imagine what could add up to $1800 in machine work. Maybe he's hoping you will abandon the parts because he has someone else that will buy that stuff????? I have never in my lifetime spent $1800 on machine work.. But then again I only build "street" type builds with 90% factory parts. The proper thing to do here would be to talk to the machine shop and explain that you did not realize it was going to cost this much and that you don't have the $$ to finish the project and see what you guys can work out. It's an aluminum block so maybe he knows he can sell those parts and recoup his losses pretty easily. I don't know how the work you mentioned could balloon to $1800 though.. You are BOTH at fault here. Him for not asking for more $$ as a deposit, and you for not asking/understanding exactly what the charges were before you allowed the work to begin. Best of luck with your project.
yeah it was my understanding it was gonna be about 1400 or less. Here's what he did. Starting with a 98 aluminum ls1 block stock crank as rods: bore from 3.898 to 3.903 (.005), decked block .003, cleaned and New cam bearings installed, pistons were 4cc dome, had them cut about in half to zero out pistons, installed on stock rods, polished crank and balanced assembly.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Teching In

And he's a older guy well known around the area so he's not a slime ball who would do the work with those intentions. I just think other than having 0 miles and forged pistons is not worth it. Ok gonna be around 400 to do the forged pistons aren't even necessary.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

​​​​He said $1400 and it ended up being $1800?

Is that what happened? Just machine work or machine & labor?

Does that include him assembling the short block for you?

I'd talk with him and get an exact break down of each expensive. Sometimes mistakes are made and sometimes to get things right takes longer than expected.

Talk with the shop and see if you can split the difference.
Good machine shops are hard to find.

I'm not a fan of burning bridges if it can be avoided.
It might be nice to be able to go back to that shop at some point in the future.

BTW in LS land, It's probably almost always cheaper to get a take out used engine over rebuilding one.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 07-18-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Teching In

are we to understand you are just going to leave the machine shop holding the bag?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Any update on how this worked out?
Old 07-28-2018, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The reason the machine work is so expensive is because folks don't get a estimate UPFRONT then leave the shop hung out to dry. Gotta keep the doors open somehow..
Old 07-28-2018, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Why are we comparing a forged ls1 rebuild with a stock lq9??? If the price isn't what was agreed upon than talk about. Otherwise just decide if you want a forged motor or a stock motor.

Quick Reply: Is worth getting my ls1 machined and rebuilt or lq9.