Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should I put my electric cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I put my electric cut out?

So as the title says I’ve been wanted to get a cut out for some time now and finally heard a T/A with one and it sounded amazing but today I looked under my car to see what size piping I have then I see this... the picture is of where the Y-pipe ends and the back half of my exhaust starts. Not even sure if a cutout will fit right there and I definitely wanted the cutout before the resinator to by pass that when I wanted. I was gonna go with a DMH cutout but now I’m kinda stuck. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1894664-my-new-exhaust-setup-dual-low-profile-cutouts.html

Check out that link for some ideas
Old 08-15-2018, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bammax
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1894664-my-new-exhaust-setup-dual-low-profile-cutouts.html

Check out that link for some ideas
says the page was not found
Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve always put them just before the over the axle pipe stuck in that little hole under the passenger rear floor board. I can’t really tell where your resonator is. I personally wouldn’t put dual cutouts in the front. The 02 sensors can pick up that outside air and dump fuel. If you were running an open loop tune it would be ok but I assume your not. Worst case you may have to remove the resonator.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a lot of ppl put it before the axle back. mines located in that area as well. there's a drain hole/grommet under the passenger rear floor that you can pull the wires through.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A QTP low profile oval cutout would easily fit in your I pipe after your Y merge and before your resonator.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I’ve always put them just before the over the axle pipe stuck in that little hole under the passenger rear floor board. I can’t really tell where your resonator is. I personally wouldn’t put dual cutouts in the front. The 02 sensors can pick up that outside air and dump fuel. If you were running an open loop tune it would be ok but I assume your not. Worst case you may have to remove the resonator.
I wasn’t planning on running a dual cut out. I wanted to to put it before my resonator but the space is limited
Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
A QTP low profile oval cutout would easily fit in your I pipe after your Y merge and before your resonator.
I’ll have to look into that
Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Power

So as the title says I’ve been wanted to get a cut out for some time now and finally heard a T/A with one and it sounded amazing but today I looked under my car to see what size piping I have then I see this... the picture is of where the Y-pipe ends and the back half of my exhaust starts. Not even sure if a cutout will fit right there and I definitely wanted the cutout before the resinator to by pass that when I wanted. I was gonna go with a DMH cutout but now I’m kinda stuck. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I would just cut the exhaust off after the rsonator and put a turndown on it if you just want sound. If your exhaust is a loudmouth or similar you aren't going to gain any power.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I would just cut the exhaust off after the rsonator and put a turndown on it if you just want sound. If your exhaust is a loudmouth or similar you aren't going to gain any power.
I wanted a cutout so I can make it loud when I want then quite when I want. Not really trying to gain any power would just be nice to have a electric cutout
Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If you're just doing it to be loud stick it as far forward as possible on the I pipe. Don't worry about an exact location since it'll be loud regardless.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bammax
If you're just doing it to be loud stick it as far forward as possible on the I pipe. Don't worry about an exact location since it'll be loud regardless.
that’s what I was planning on doing just didn’t know if I could fit a cutout in between the end of the Y-pipe and before the resonator. Seems like there’s not that much room between them to fit one
Old 08-19-2018, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Move the resonator as far back as you can get it (or remove it entirely as it's probably not making it any more quiet) towards the catback and get a DMH low profile cutout put in just before it. Here was my old one that was not low profile, so WITH a low profile you will have plenty of room.