Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Walbro 450's in a cell for l33 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Walbro 450's in a cell for l33 turbo

Feedback appreciated before I spend my $$$. I'm doing a 5.3L ls turbo conversion on a 99 Mustang and I really like quieter pumps, had my share of the old external screamers on carb and efi cars in the past. Thinking I would cut out the spare tire well, flat floor it and drop in a couple of the Walbro 450's with the holley hydromat pre-filter scavanger socks on them in a cell. Thus far in my mind I cannot find a flaw in this setup. Quieter, fuel cooled, likely long life, easy service. I can do all the fab work myself with an aluminum cell and those hydromats appear awesome to me in the testing videos I have watched. I mentioned this in the Hybrid conversion area but was hoping for broader based feedback here. Here is a screen shot from one of the videos that sold me, I've had my share of sucking air. I had that Aeromotive complete tank deal years ago and it was terrible about needing to be 3/4 full all the time.

Last edited by RIDETOEAT; 09-05-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

If you're building a custom cell, there should be no need whatsoever for hydramat or anything like it.

Build the cell so fuel surge will never be an issue in the first place !
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not particularly a fan of flat bottomed tanks...mainly because it's a stupid design in terms of maintaining a fuel supply to the pumps with low levels of fuel. These guys build fancy ones

https://www.aftermarketindustries.co...ank-f1-1200-30

But really...just build a cell with a small sump on the bottom, round, square, whatever shape/size suits and drop the pumps into that. Add foam, baffles or whatever above in the main cell to always encourage fuel to the sump, although gravity alone will do that too.

Keep it simple
Old 09-06-2018, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had really planned to just buy a properly sized and shaped cell and do the necessary mods with the mounting tabs and bungs and such but with that said there is no reason I could not split it open at he end seam and baffle it appropriately.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

Again a flat bottomed cell would be a last resort, but it'd be easy to buy a generic square and add a sump to the bottom, a few inches deep to drop the pumps down into that. It is by far the best solution to ensuring the pumps are always in fuel.