Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 Header primary size... I’m torn

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 Header primary size... I’m torn

So I’m building a 408. CR will be 10.2-10.5, Callie’s rotating assembly, 317 heads ported by Katech with 5 angle valve job. It will also have a 200-250 shot just for ***** and giggles. I can’t decide if I should go with 1 3/4, 1 7/8, or 2” primaries. I think 2” might be a bit much, but maybe I’ll be corrected with this thread.

The deal is this is going in a Sonoma so my choices are somewhat limited unless I do a complete custom set. Stainless Works makes a nice set of 1 7/8” primaries, and MR sells 1 3/4” ceramic coated mild steel. MR also sells 1 7/8” and 2”, but those run 2 of the primaries outside of the frame rails on either side, which I’m not exactly crazy about.

This truck is being built for street/strip, and I have no qualms about turning it to 7000-7500 rpm. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with BRP kit: engine mounts and there stepped headers by Headerman 1 7/8 to 2 inches & 3 inch collector. Headers can only be used with there engine mounts.From what I was told. 1990 S10 Lq4 408 meant for 7500 to 8200 rpm depending on heads used.. . 2 pair Ls3 and Ls7 both solid roller 11.8 and 13.2
Old 09-19-2018, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Patron
I went with BRP kit: engine mounts and there stepped headers by Headerman 1 7/8 to 2 inches & 3 inch collector. Headers can only be used with there engine mounts.From what I was told. 1990 S10 Lq4 408 meant for 7500 to 8200 rpm depending on heads used.. . 2 pair Ls3 and Ls7 both solid roller 11.8 and 13.2
BRP... I guess that’s the same as Muscle Rods. So do you have any pics of those headers that have 2 primaries outside the frame rails? Did you delete the inner fender completely or did you cut it out?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:25 AM
Banned

Correct on BRP. Haven't gotten that far yet.... Also still don't know how to post pictures after 8+yrs... My avatar would be all over Ls1tech. Made my own small bore Ls7 heads. No inner fenders, a/c or blower, factory gas tank delete. Took the truck to the frame and removed all added weight. Power steering gone also. Manual rack and pinion. Only thing that looks normal is the cab, no headliner or behind your seat carpenting or rear cab wall. Dash, floor carpet, seats and dash. Original cab was a rust bucket and replaced it. I'm not looking for looks. Stainless Works run around $1200.oo to much for me.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:41 AM
Banned

Same header for me has to work for both heads. The Ls3 stuff is done. The Ls7 heads are for later. Ls7 header flange and cut the Ls3 flange off. Or make as flange that can be used for both if possible. As NO 1 makes a Ls7 long tube header for a S10. If your not cool with the header outside the frame $. Also No matter What DO Not use a header smaller than 1 & 7/8!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Correct on BRP. Haven't gotten that far yet.... Also still don't know how to post pictures after 8+yrs... My avatar would be all over Ls1tech. Made my own small bore Ls7 heads. No inner fenders, a/c or blower, factory gas tank delete. Took the truck to the frame and removed all added weight. Power steering gone also. Manual rack and pinion. Only thing that looks normal is the cab, no headliner or behind your seat carpenting or rear cab wall. Dash, floor carpet, seats and dash. Original cab was a rust bucket and replaced it. I'm not looking for looks. Stainless Works run around $1200.oo to much for me.
The price difference isn’t TOO big between BRP and the Stainless Works, I just want what will work best for my setup. I mean, the BRP stepped headers are $999.

Mine is almost down to the frame right now. Just gotta pull the cab when I get some time off work. I’ve been working a lot of OT. I’m not going full on drag truck, but almost. It’s getting the Glasstek fiberglass dash, which should arrive tomorrow. I’m pretty stoked to have found a good looking 2nd gen aftermarket dash. I’m keeping carpet and interior in, but all the sound deadening is coming out. It’s not going to have A/C or even the heater box, but I’m building a small heater box inside the cab that I’ll use primarily for windshield defogging.

Anyway, I’m getting way off topic. In regard to the Stainless Works headers, my main concern is them cracking from heat cycling. I don’t know if they backpurge them when they weld them. My main concern with the BRP is the two primaries outside of the frame getting all jacked up from road trash being slung on them constantly.

FYI, if you want to upload photos go to postimage.com and make an account. It’s free and stupid easy. You upload your photo then select how you want to copy the images to post in the forum. I think it’s Hotlink for Forum. Copy the link and paste it in your post and boom, there’s your picture(s)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 AM
Banned

I had the same idea until I removed the motor and trans and noticed more rust than I thought. New cab was as much as the truck $300. On the headers I truly understand. If I want to send them back I'll do as normal and pay the restocking fee. And get what I'd like and add $.Jim runs the shop and I had the $ at the time. Mine were a little over 800 @ the time. Thanks for the pictures tip. I just show friends thru text messages normally ...

Last edited by Patron; 09-19-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same idea until I removed the motor and trans and noticed more rust than I thought. New cab was as much as the truck $300. On the headers I truly understand. If I want to send them back I'll do as normal and pay the restocking fee. And get what I'd like and add $.Jim runs the shop and I had the $ at the time. Mine were a little over 800 @ the time. Thanks for the pictures tip. I just show friends thru text messages ...
Heres the dash I ordered

Old 09-19-2018, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same idea until I removed the motor and trans and noticed more rust than I thought. New cab was as much as the truck $300. On the headers I truly understand. If I want to send them back I'll do as normal and pay the restocking fee. And get what I'd like and add $.Jim runs the shop and I had the $ at the time. Mine were a little over 800 @ the time. Thanks for the pictures tip. I just show friends thru text messages normally ...
Heres how to use postimage

Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 AM
Banned

Went and looked at the dash on the site..... .come back and you've posted pics. . . .Thanks for the heads up. Gotta have 1 at only 300 it's a steal. Stainless Works will be your best choice if your worried about rocks hitting the header. BTW. .. Street truck as I own no trailer and Never will purchase 1. Pull my truck with my other truck. Not!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

Went and looked at the dash on the site..... .come back and you've posted pics. . . .Thanks for the heads up. Gotta have 1 at only 300 it's a steal. Stainless Works will be your best choice if your worried about rocks hitting the header. BTW. .. Street truck as I own no trailer and Never will purchase 1. Pull my truck with my other truck. Not!
If you order one of those dashes tell them Nick Pohl put you on to it. I’m not getting anything, but I told them I was gonna put the word out. There’s not really many options for a dash, and theirs is awesome. They didn’t have pics on the site until I contacted them and ordered it. I told them they needed to post pics ASAP.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Banned

Got you Nick. Your just down the road in Lake Charles.. I'm in Houston. Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Stainless Works is made in Ohio. I met a guy who used to work their and he said they were top notch.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Stainless Works is made in Ohio. I met a guy who used to work their and he said they were top notch.
I’ve see their work and it’s great, I’m not arguing that at all. I would really like to know if they backpurge when they weld em though. That’s the difference between a pretty weld and a pretty weld that won’t crack when it comes to stainless.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by nickpohlaandp

I’ve see their work and it’s great, I’m not arguing that at all. I would really like to know if they backpurge when they weld em though. That’s the difference between a pretty weld and a pretty weld that won’t crack when it comes to stainless.
Call 'em and see if they give you a straight answer.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Call 'em and see if they give you a straight answer.
Ok, so no, they do not back purge their welds. They do offer a lifetime guarantee though. Anyone have experience with stainless headers that are not back purged? I’ve never dealt with that before.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

2/3.5 is what i would buy
Old 09-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
2/3.5 is what i would buy
Huh? Primary size?
Old 09-22-2018, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member