Throttle Body Coolant Bypass... Results Inside. - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass... Results Inside.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RB04Av View Post
Because they don't very often fly through clouds at a few thousand feet above the Earth's surface at temps in the low 30s for long periods of time at a stretch... although some do.

Get a bit of that kind of experience and you'll understand better why the factory did what they did. Not saying it's "right", you "shouldn't undo it", or anything of the kind; just, UNDERSTAND what you're doing/undoing, and what the factory's intentions were, and that will help you make an informed decision one way or the other. The factory guys/gals aren't STUPID (much... often...) but the reasons they do things the way they did are not always obvious to the casual observer. Sometimes "max power" isn't the ONLY consideration. Especially at altitude.
What I meant was that freezing throttle bodies don't seem to be an issue in passenger vehicles whether they came with a "TB Coolant Heating System" or not. I would be willing to bet that more of them come with no heating system than the coolant heated type we are talking about here.

For one, I don't think that engineers are stupid, and I'd imagine there was considerable thought put into actually designing a heating system for the TB. There's zero chance it was an arbitrary decision and I think most halfway conscientious people would grasp that. That being said, some things can be done away on a vehicle like most people do with the TB coolant bypass. Not really sure if you were trying to come off condescending but it came off that way lol.

At any rate, I think we can agree that the conditions that an airliner is subject to at 30,000' are a little bit different than a car that's not driven when the snow flies.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

The reason for aircraft carb freezing up is because of the venturi effect of the carb its self.... the pressure drop in the venturi causes the icing.... if there is no venturi in the throttle body......(some manufacturers DO have a venturi) then it should not freeze up. (aircraft that use mechanical fuel injection have no venturi in the TB) last month's engine master's video had carb vs. efi again.. and they showed the temp just past the carb/TB. If i remember correctly it was in the 40* range for the carb!... and yes the carb actually made more power because of it.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Got bored Saturday and decided to bypass the coolant line and yank the fittings out of the TB. Had driven the car most of the morning and felt the TB before I left the car to cool down and of course was pretty dam hot. Did the bypass and drove the car around for an hour or two. Popped the hood when I got home to feel the TB and cool as a cucumber. Figured what the hell. Was an easy mod to do and the throttle body isn’t hot as hell any more. Plus, easier to get the TB off now!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Soooo where are these “results” you claimed? Without back to back same-day runs at the track or dyno, you haven’t shown anything here.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 8.Lug View Post
Soooo where are these “results” you claimed? Without back to back same-day runs at the track or dyno, you haven’t shown anything here.
^^^^^^^^^^This.... I am equally curious.... ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-03-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8.Lug View Post
Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
^^^^^^^^^^This.... I am equally curious.... ^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you not see the temperature difference chart in the first post?... It proved that over a long period of driving that the temperature difference of the TB is significant. Other people have already done back to back dyno tests and shown it making "maybe" 1HP. We all know this lol.

That being said, what I did was back to back, same-day testing to see what the temperature reduction is. I think it augments what we "knew" about this modification with actual numbers. I don't see how it "shows nothing".
Old 11-03-2018, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, with out looking I thought 8.Lug was referring to another test. I saw the first post, but apparently 8.Lug did not. You made it pretty clear.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
Sorry, with out looking I thought 8.Lug was referring to another test. I saw the first post, but apparently 8.Lug did not. You made it pretty clear.
No worries haha, it happens!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Would love to see similiar testing for cold air intakes. Anecdotal evidence on their effectiveness - I have a 2000 C5 with the Vararam CAI and throttle body bypass. With the engine a full operating temp on a cool day (40 deg F ambient) in Ottawa, Canada the TB is "cold" to the touch and the intake manifold is barely warm. I don't have a IR thermometer so not able to get an actual measurement.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brownrd View Post
Would love to see similiar testing for cold air intakes. Anecdotal evidence on their effectiveness - I have a 2000 C5 with the Vararam CAI and throttle body bypass. With the engine a full operating temp on a cool day (40 deg F ambient) in Ottawa, Canada the TB is "cold" to the touch and the intake manifold is barely warm. I don't have a IR thermometer so not able to get an actual measurement.
If you felt so inclined, I think they are only $30-50 at a hardware store. Probably a LOT cheaper on Amazon.... I'd be interested to see if the Vararam has any significant temperature difference over the stock manifold.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where can i get one of these TB bypass?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my tube on ebay. I had to use some silicone tape on the one end b/c the hose of one side was a larger guage than the other.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chevyguy2001 View Post
Where can i get one of these TB bypass?
The kit that I had was from Potz Speed & Performance. I think they might be out of business at this point from what I've been reading on the forums. That being said, all it takes is a small brass barbed fitting, and a couple of hose clamps. You can get all of the stuff to do it for a couple of dollars at any hardware store.

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio View Post
I got my tube on ebay. I had to use some silicone tape on the one end b/c the hose of one side was a larger guage than the other.
That's correct^ I believe the barbed fitting (coupler) that comes in the kit was straight through, and not larger on one side than the other. You'll really have to clamp the hose down on it, or make the clamping area larger like you did with the tape. There's a few ways to slice it, and many many people have done this mod successfully. It's pretty straight forward.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: