Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs for water pump when deleting hvac?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Plugs for water pump when deleting hvac?

I’m pulling out my hvac (among other things) for weight reduction. So how do you guys plug off the heater hoses?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't think it's a good idea to plug them. Most people just loop them . I could be wrong I'll let more experienced people chime in .
Old 10-22-2018, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can’t plug them. This system doesn’t have a heater control valve like most other systems, it requires a constant flow to circulate coolant throughout the engine. You need to loop them or you will get hotspots.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok. Does a vendor on here sell the loop or is it one of those things I just go to Auto Zone for? And if so, what size and does anyone have pics?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Same sizes as the heater hoses that would have hooked to it, one end will be a bit larger than the other due to the 2 sizes of the fittings.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

search over in conversions, there's a art number for the loop hose. It's also used on ls marine motors.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Completely false. Nothing wrong with plugging them. By looping them you actually hurt cooling. The rear chamber (engine side) is for bypass cooling (circulation while the tstat is closed). That’s why LS engines have 2 steps on the back of the Tstat. When the stat opens at temp coolant is forced through the the engine and radiator and it closes off the back of the Tstat (bypass area). You can plug the heater ports no issue. Most Tstats stock or aftermarket have a step in the back sealing ring to allow some water bypass between the 2 chambers and mr gasket has a few 3/16” holes for the same purpose.

It’s common to delete the Tstat by removing it, plugging the heater ports and installing a freeze plug in the hole
behind the Tstat while drilling a single 3/16” hole for air and small coolant transfer. This negates the tstat and thus you get maximum cooling but offers no control of the temp as the engine will find is own happy medium.

I’ve plugged my heater ports on 2 engines, run a aftermarket Tstat and never had a problem.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Meziere electric water pump came with plugs. I called them and asked about looping and they advised against it. Now that may be exclusive to their pump. I cant say for sure.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Completely false. Nothing wrong with plugging them. By looping them you actually hurt cooling. The rear chamber (engine side) is for bypass cooling (circulation while the tstat is closed). That’s why LS engines have 2 steps on the back of the Tstat. When the stat opens at temp coolant is forced through the the engine and radiator and it closes off the back of the Tstat (bypass area). You can plug the heater ports no issue. Most Tstats stock or aftermarket have a step in the back sealing ring to allow some water bypass between the 2 chambers and mr gasket has a few 3/16” holes for the same purpose.

It’s common to delete the Tstat by removing it, plugging the heater ports and installing a freeze plug in the hole
behind the Tstat while drilling a single 3/16” hole for air and small coolant transfer. This negates the tstat and thus you get maximum cooling but offers no control of the temp as the engine will find is own happy medium.

I’ve plugged my heater ports on 2 engines, run a aftermarket Tstat and never had a problem.
Save your breathe. I agree 100% with you, and I’ve argued this point with these guys in the past. They just keep throwing up false info. Lots of guys plug the holes without issue. Last argument session I was told my engine would blow up if the holes were plugged. Lol!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle

Save your breathe. I agree 100% with you, and I’ve argued this point with these guys in the past. They just keep throwing up false info. Lots of guys plug the holes without issue. Last argument session I was told my engine would blow up if the holes were plugged. Lol!
Sometimes people learn something about a part and don't realize that it doesn't apply to other brands or even other versions within the same brand. If you learned on a vtec or a carb 340 you may take certain things for granted and not even know that they don't apply to another engine.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looping is perfectly fine. I drove my car 2 months looped when my heater hose sprung a leak before I repaired it (see sticky).

It causes absolutely no change in cooling ability....... I always drive around with one of these in my car in case the heater core pops or the lines start leaking, so I'm not just screwed on the side of the road. Pop it on and go.

Manufactured specifically for the LS engine.
https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Bypass-Coolant-Crossover-551699/dp/B013QNJ9SQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A23YSPV508V1BQ5YWAAZ https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Bypass-Coolant-Crossover-551699/dp/B013QNJ9SQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A23YSPV508V1BQ5YWAAZ

OR

Dayco #87629....cut to fit.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I've run the same engine looped and plugged ran the same temperature both ways, Obviously looped isn't going to be a problem because flow wise it's the same as running to a heater core and back. Plugged doesn't seem to be an issue either, I've run them that way and so have countless others.