LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Slp dual dual catback vs. texas speed catback with cutout (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1911368-slp-dual-dual-catback-vs-texas-speed-catback-cutout.html)

jchapls1 12-04-2018 07:00 PM

Slp dual dual catback vs. texas speed catback with cutout

I have a 02 ws6 trans am automatic car with tsp 1 3/4 lt headers, tsp 3in ory, slp dual dual catback, slp lid, ported tb, circle d 278mm 3200 stall, and a tune. I also have a set of tsp stg.1 cnc ported ls6 heads with 62cc and a tsp 223 226 113 lsa 600 lift cam to install on it later. I have been thinking about getting the new texas speed 3in. catback with built in cutout. I have listened to videos of cars on you tube with this catback with stock cams and bigger cams. It sounds great. I like my slp dual dual at wot, but its just too quiet at idle. Does the tsp catback flow any better than my dual dual? It sounds like its louder than the dual dual at idle, and wot. Ive never heard it in person before. Im just worried that it might be too loud and wake the neighbors up in the apartment complex lol. I would like to hear from anybody that has this tsp 3in catback with cutout. I could always sell my dual dual catback. I actually have and extra dual dual muffler with tail pipes I could sell also. Im not really worried about the cutout. Im not really gonna use it if I decide to get the tsp catback. Thanks

Bob570 12-04-2018 09:39 PM

My understanding is that the TSP cat back is very similar to the Magnaflow cat-back, but a bit louder. I had the same concerns as you since some times I leave for work as early as 4:45 am.

I ended up going with the Magnaflow + cutout and I'm pretty happy with it. It still sounds choppy at idle (I have a 232/234 cam) and it's decently loud at WOT, although sometimes I wish it was just a little louder.

Here it is with the cutout open then closed.
Cold start with the cutout closed.

02DroptopZ 12-05-2018 06:44 AM

Since I’ve gone from a Magnaflow to a TSP catback and am now in the process of swapping to a Dual/Dual, I think I can answer this :jest:

Based on your concern with noise, I would very much not recommend making the switch. The TSP catback is great quality, looks fantastic, and is in my opinion the best sounding exhaust available for our cars - but it is LOUD, and significantly louder than both the Dual/Dual and Magnaflow systems. While I was living at my parents place and was just driving the car on short trips to campus occasionally, I loved it, but after taking the car on a few road trips, I decided the noise on the highway is just too much for me. I couldn’t imagine living in an apartment complex or any other neighborhood where pissing off neighbors would be a concern with it.

Here’s a clip of my car. Keep in mind yours would be a little louder than mine, as I have a pair of high flow cats:

mjs1012 12-05-2018 09:01 AM

I just went from a magnaflow to the TSP and I agree it is very noticeably louder. I don't drive my car as much as I used to, but I'm thinking about getting a catted y to quiet it down a little.

Aside from how much louder it is, it sounds fantastic. OP I would keep the dual/dual. I really wanted one but since they're rare at this point I went with the 3" TSP.

99 Black Bird T/A 12-05-2018 10:44 AM

FWIW - most of the SLP Dual /Dual 's installed by as OEM equipment had "the ring of silence" mod in the left hand side dual tip pipe. It forced some of the exhaust back to the right and made the exhaust quieter. I think some folks cut left side pipe off and removed the ring of silence then had the pipe welded back or v clamped. There was a thread on SLP's old website. The ring may have been near the muffler, I don't remember.
​​​​​
​​​​​My direct from SLP Dual /Dual didn't have the ring of silence and was little bit louder - enough so that a FireHawk owner want to know what exhaust was on my TA.

I noticed my SLP Dual /Dual slowly get louder with age. After a 160,000 miles it was about perfect loudness for me.

My TA has a BlackHeart true x pipe dual exhaust now with the 416. Other folks like the Black Heart's sound but is much louder than the SLP Dual /Dual and I'm starting to hate the Blackheart on trips over half an hour.

My 91 RS also has a SLP Dual /Dual without the ring of silence. Had someone argue the RS had a 350 because of the sound. Car still had the 305. With the 383 LS1 the sound is perfect. It's a hair louder and fuller soundly at idle and cruise than with a stock displacement LS1.

quiet_storm98 12-05-2018 09:56 PM

I run the dual/dual with ported heads and a slightly larger cam then what you are going to be running and honestly i like it. You can still hear some lope from the cam and the car isn't too loud at idle. If you drive the car alot like you are planning on doing honestly i think it is a great exhaust for that.

wannafbody 12-05-2018 10:36 PM

I have a Gibson catback and with headers and catted Y it's very quiet cruising on the highway. It's got a deep tone and rumble at idle. Also the Corsa sounds good.

jchapls1 12-06-2018 06:02 PM

Your car sounds awesome dude! That cam sounds nasty and mean. If my slp dual dual would sound half as good as your car with the heads and cam, I would be happy.

jchapls1 12-06-2018 06:03 PM

I was talking about your car bob570.

jchapls1 12-06-2018 06:07 PM

I don't drive my car that much. My daily driver is a 07 reg.cab 2wd trd superchargered Toyota tundra. Thanks everybody for the advice and the videos of yalls cars. They all sound real good. I listened to the Gibson exhaust on you tube and it sounds great also wannafbody.

jchapls1 12-06-2018 06:11 PM

Also my slp dual dual does not have the ring of silence in it that some cars have. I just want to be able to hear the lope from my tsp 223 226 113 lsa cam. Ive never had a vehicle with a lopey cam, so this will be the first time and I want to hear it lol.

98CayenneT/A 12-06-2018 06:40 PM

You could leave the exhaust as is and just put a electric cutout right after the y. I run Lt's into ory with 4in. merger into a 4 in. cutout with stock catback.

Here are a few videos.
First two are idle videos with cutout open.
3rd video is wot with cutout open.

98CayenneT/A 12-06-2018 06:41 PM

jchapls1 12-06-2018 07:14 PM

Your car is beautiful dude! I love that red orange metallic color. I wish my ws6 was that color instead of black lol. That is a rare color, and the 98s had the best selection of colors out of all the ls1 firebirds. Pontiac should've kept all the colors up to 02. I know a guy that has a 98 just like yours. Your car sounds good and looks pretty fast going down the track.

TonicR6 12-16-2018 02:29 PM

Do you have any videos of the cutout closed? I would love to hear it.

rbl3 12-21-2018 10:51 PM

I think you should wait until u do ur head and cam swap, the swap alone will make it louder. That way ur not wasting money or making more than one trip to exhaust shop. G/L