Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking noise driving me crazy!!!!

Old 12-24-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Amurphy
Update guys. A gates belt from orileys fixed the problem. I guess the $18 belts weren't good enough.

Good to hear. Hope the noise stays gone for ya. Sometimes a new belt does the trick and sometimes it stays quiet for a few days then comes back and it may wait until the first humid or rainy day before it returns. If so post back up and we can continue to help you find it. Hoping it's fixed though!

I'll post a video in a second. After all this talk I had a car come in today with a belt squeal and the customer applied belt dressing and made the problem worse, as it usually does.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I made this video today. Had a car come in this morning with a squeaky belt and the customer tried belt dressing that didn't help any. Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Nice video! Good illustrative instruction on SQUEEEEEEEKY belts!
Old 12-24-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Nice video! Good illustrative instruction on SQUEEEEEEEKY belts!

Appreciate it. A squeaky belt is one hell of a nuisance so I feel OP's pain.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

And a follow up.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:18 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Porter, are you a GM Tech, or do you work for a chain store?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Porter, are you a GM Tech, or do you work for a chain store?
I've always worked in independent stores except now, currently I work for a chain store where the owner owns 8 shops, but we have zero corp. support or influence so I still consider it an independent. I worked for NTB for 3 weeks and quit and a little car lot for 3 months but I don't really count those.

Never worked at a dealer. I was an account manager for a few years and had dealerships as my accounts, but that's the closest I've came to working at a dealer.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belt dressing made my belts squeal louder. I bet all the new belts I used cleaned it from the pulleys
Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Amurphy
Belt dressing made my belts squeal louder. I bet all the new belts I used cleaned it from the pulleys

Yep that's the way it goes. And lol, They probably did.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience the belt dressing usually makes it worse lol . The longest lasting band aid fix that I have found is ... please dont shoot me for this ...put some of the black silicone stuff , it has worked for me every time.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi
In my experience the belt dressing usually makes it worse lol . The longest lasting band aid fix that I have found is ... please dont shoot me for this ...put some of the black silicone stuff , it has worked for me every time.
I don't care what people do to their cars as long as they understand what they are doing and what they are recommending others do. So there'll be no shooting lol. What black silicone stuff are you talking about? Like silicone lube or actual silicone, like RTV silicone sealer.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

RTV silicone sealer , surprisingly it doesn't make a big mess either .
Old 12-28-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

RTV silicone sealer , surprisingly it doesn't make a big mess either .
Yeah it should dry up and not sling all over like a spray liquid will. How are you putting it on there? Are you coating the whole belt with it?

It sounds like a super redneck rig up btw lol
Old 12-28-2018, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Yeah it should dry up and not sling all over like a spray liquid will. How are you putting it on there? Are you coating the whole belt with it?

It sounds like a super redneck rig up btw lol
I know it sounds really bad but hey give it a shot next time and see for yourself lol . All I do is smear it on the ribbed side with the engine running . It does sound really redneck if I were to coat it and let it dry and throw it on haha
Old 12-28-2018, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Smear it on the ribbed side with the engine running..... so how many fingers you have left? If any....
Old 12-28-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I know it sounds really bad but hey give it a shot next time and see for yourself lol . All I do is smear it on the ribbed side with the engine running . It does sound really redneck if I were to coat it and let it dry and throw it on haha

I was just curious, I couldn't picture how or what you were doing. I personally would never do it because it's too easy to just change the belt. That and having silicone all in the pulleys isn't something I'm interested in.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

There's only one thing I've ever found that does truly work. I've tried soaps, wax, chalk, oil, belt dressing, water, brake cleaner... you name it. The only thing I've found that helps is taking a wire brush and holding against the belt as the engine runs. It will clean the belt and knock some of the glaze off the rubber and quieten it down. Belts are kinda soft, almost like they have a lint on them when you get them (in the ribs). Over time they glaze over kinda like a brake rotor does. And once they get like that it's time to change them because they will squeak a little from the hard/glazed surface. A wire brush will take some off that off and get to some of the fresh rubber underneath and help quieten them down.

That being said, it's still like 20 minutes and 30 dollars to just change it and be done with it. I don't like messing with things over and over or doing things that cause other issues, so I just change them and move on to other things that need attention, there's always something. Especially when you have a house, boat, wife and kids. That and when I fix things right, the repair lasts for years and I can cut down my to do list. Band aiding things means I have to keep messing with things more often and then I always have 10 things on the list and it aggravates the hell out of me.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

This thread was quite entertaining. One minute someone is calling another a dipshit and the next they're kissing and making up!! Right on!!

Now to offer a little of my experience. I solved my belt chirping years ago with a spray bottle of water and an laser alignment tool. The spray of water confirmed that it was a belt issue... and not a bearing or tension. The power steering pump pulley was a little off so after aligning it .... good to go!! Oh and belt dressing is nasty ... it will cake **** everywhere and then your belt sounds like rice crispy treats jammed in there .....
Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
There's only one thing I've ever found that does truly work. I've tried soaps, wax, chalk, oil, belt dressing, water, brake cleaner... you name it. The only thing I've found that helps is taking a wire brush and holding against the belt as the engine runs.
That does help!! Also run some sand paper on the water pump pulley and smooth it out ... it can have grooves that cause the belt to track improperly.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Smear it on the ribbed side with the engine running..... so how many fingers you have left? If any....
Haha don't have to use your fingers, just smear it with a big tube just give the handle a few squeezes . Never said its the right way , I agree its totally redneck , the right way do it is of course diagnosing it , replacing the belt and tensioner/pulleys period . I just mentioned it because its something that worked for me . Would I do it on a customers car that comes in with a Porsche Cayenne turbo and a belt issue no , but would I try one of the above mentioned band aid fixes on my broke *** cousins rusted bucket 250,000 mile Toyota Yaris that I know is never going to pay me , hell yeah.
Also have to remember there are other engines than the LS where it takes more than 10 mins to replace the belt .

Search this Thread