LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Value of stock cats? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1912638-value-stock-cats.html)

sean byrd 01-01-2019 11:27 AM

Value of stock cats?

Just put longtubes on my ‘02 T/A and was offered $180 for the stock cats. Is this a fair price?

LS_ELKO41 01-01-2019 11:52 AM

I just checked out the first google result for stock small GM catalytic converter prices and it is showing around $80 a piece. I will be installing an ORY pipe in the spring and never considered making money from those so that is a nice bonus.

sean byrd 01-01-2019 12:03 PM

Yea might as well or I would’ve just tossed them. Potential buyer does want the end pipes cut closer so he can see the insides.

trilkb 01-02-2019 06:33 AM

I've never made a dime off used factory exhaust parts. I tried to do it right once and recycle the cats and they wanted me to give them money to take them. I couldn't imagine making 180. Hell I'd be happy with 50 in my experience.

RB04Av 01-02-2019 06:39 AM

For awhile, stealing them off of cars in mall parking lots and such was actually a thing... I knew somebody that had it happen to them. Probably using a battery-powered Jeffrey Dahmer saw.

They do have some precious metal in them but I don't know how much. Also not sure how one would go about selling them on the open market, given that it's illegal to commercially remove them from a highway-driven vehicle.

Somehow I don't think they're "worth" very much though. If somebody wants to give you $180, and you don't need them any more, I'd say go for it.

DANOZ28 01-02-2019 08:42 AM

i was told stock cats have platinum inside so they are worth something but i don't have facts to back that up. maybe call a local scrap yard.

Chris Paveglio 01-02-2019 11:21 AM

I sent mine here and got some money. Be sure they dont mis-label it, I had to complain to them and get a higher amount: https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap_...verter-prices/

TBSOELS1 01-02-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio (Post 20024287)
I sent mine here and got some money. Be sure they dont mis-label it, I had to complain to them and get a higher amount: https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap_...verter-prices/

How much did they give you for your stock cats?

trilkb 01-02-2019 01:08 PM

that blows my mind. Everywhere I called literally told me I had to pay to recycle them.

99 Black Bird T/A 01-02-2019 04:28 PM

The value of a pair of stock cats is priceless :)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...0087cb3487.jpg

Had an extra cats from a take out motor an was happy to get rid of them via pay it forward sort of deal..

Local scrap yard wanted proof they weren't stolen as in seeing a receipt from exhaust shop / mechanic for replacement work done. That was couple of years ago. Goes with living in the Meth-West I mean mid-west.

09 Rooster 01-09-2019 04:21 PM

Thanks to this thread I did some digging as I just took the stock exhaust off my Trans Am. I got $120 each for the cats. I live in Canada so that is still only about $7 USD but I was shocked at how much I got out of them. I had two guys off kijiji bidding for them. I gave both of them the serial numbers on the cats and one commented how much *whatever* was in them. *whatever* being the precious metals they recycle.

bammax 01-09-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Rooster (Post 20027938)
Thanks to this thread I did some digging as I just took the stock exhaust off my Trans Am. I got $120 each for the cats. I live in Canada so that is still only about $7 USD but I was shocked at how much I got out of them. I had two guys off kijiji bidding for them. I gave both of them the serial numbers on the cats and one commented how much *whatever* was in them. *whatever* being the precious metals they recycle.

If I remember right it's platinum that they pull out.

Che70velle 01-10-2019 06:29 AM

I’ve heard that it’s platinum, but I can not confirm that. Around these parts, it’s not uncommon to have them stolen off of your vehicle, via sawzall. Must be worth something to go to all the trouble...at least for a methhead. What a shame.

G Atsma 01-10-2019 11:39 AM

Platinum IS the main precious metal, with some others used also besides.

Mazzenger 01-12-2019 01:07 PM

A few years ago I sold mine to a local metal scrap yard for 75 each.
They even pulled me from the back of the line to the front of the line and it was a long line.

LetsTurboSomething 01-12-2019 02:24 PM

So I looked it up for shits and giggles and it actually surprised me on the recycle value.

Platinum is about $30/gram market value.
There are 3-7 grams of "platinum group" metals per catalytic converter depending on the size and the manufacture.
The minimum amount of catalyst material needed for a smelter to even touch it is 1000lbs. So all the chiseled out junk and bits with 0 steel case left. This is about 500 converters worth it said. You have to cut up and bring in that amount. They don't say on the site how much they pay you for it exactly, they don;t return the platinum and other metals. I would be surprised if it was anymore than $15/gram.

So maybe $45-$105 per catalytic converter in recycle value? If you knew the good ones and could cherry pick them cheap and get 500 that would get you real paycheck.

09 Rooster 01-14-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething (Post 20029746)
So maybe $45-$105 per catalytic converter in recycle value? If you knew the good ones and could cherry pick them cheap and get 500 that would get you real paycheck.

The guy who bought mine made it sound like he uses a public website to get info on the amount of platinum in each of the converters based on the codes on them. This guy also said he does not have to take the converters apart (and mentioned how much toxic sh!t there is inside them). Maybe he's a middle man who sells to the person that takes the converter apart...i dunno. Clearly there is money in this racket at a few different levels.