Notices
Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Duals vs Y Pipe/Catback for H/C/I 150 shot

 
Old 01-03-2019, 07:16 PM
  #1  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (77)
 
98RedBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 2,686
Default TSP Duals vs Y Pipe/Catback for H/C/I 150 shot

So a few years ago I picked up a set of TSP 1 7/8's and their rumbler duals. They were intended for another car that they never went on.

So now I'm building this car and still have them sitting there.

That said, the duals will present a few issues for me. I'm going to be lowered on strano's/koni yellow's, so ground clearance with the duals will suffer compared to a y setup.

The other issue is drone, the duals can suck in an automatic (which this car is).

The other "possible" issue is smell. I do have the option to run cats with the y pipe setup to cut down on the odor if I so choose.

If not for the potential power loss, I'd absolutely go with the y pipe setup.

So, in regards to the power being given up between the two, what are we realistically talking here? Both H/C/I and with the 150 shot?

98RedBird is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM
  #2  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,689
Default

Maybe a 4" catback would be the best route. Maybe tsp with cutouts at the headers?

one guy just saw big gains from true duals out the back.

Everything is a sacrifice.
trilkb is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:27 PM
  #3  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 98
Default

Check out Mavn's build thread on the gen 3 page. Picked up YUUUGEEE gains with the speed engineering duals over the stocker y pipe stuff
LSleeper1500 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM
  #4  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (11)
 
Full-Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Upstate of SC
Posts: 3,038
Default

Cant compare dual to stockish y pipe setup. A good merge with a 4" outlet is gonna sound the same and perform better in my opinion. My heads/cam car is trapping 99MPH in the 1/8th and sounds damn good.

I didn't know it was gonna be a pro tree so I left at too low of an rpm. Otherwise I would have left around 6,000

Full-Force is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 AM
  #5  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston/Clear Lake, TX.
Posts: 364
Default

I've learned that if you want to run a Y pipe and get the most out of it you will need a y pipe merge of 3inches into 4 inches and then a cutout.
A Flowmater merge is the best bang for the buck that I've read.
Here are some pics of what I mean.


383z is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:49 PM
  #6  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (6)
 
bad_408_vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 3,250
Default

Thereís limited options with space in lowered car.
Another possibility is to run cutouts before the y merge.
Depends on if you will get alotta street driving on bad roads.
This is what im going with in spring.


Last edited by bad_408_vert; 01-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
bad_408_vert is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 AM
  #7  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston/Clear Lake, TX.
Posts: 364
Default

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert View Post
Thereís limited options with space in lowered car.
Another possibility is to run cutouts before the y merge.
Depends on if you will get alotta street driving on bad roads.
This is what im going with in spring.

Damn that looks pretty!!
What are all the parts you used and how did you get it one color?
383z is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 AM
  #8  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (6)
 
bad_408_vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 3,250
Default

Originally Posted by 383z View Post
Damn that looks pretty!!
What are all the parts you used and how did you get it one color?
Thanks, that picture is something I want to do, not my ypipe.
Parts, From what I can see itís 2 cutouts, Flowmaster Y merge, meticously bent pipes and some paint.
bad_408_vert is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 AM
  #9  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston/Clear Lake, TX.
Posts: 364
Default

I wonder what brand cut outs are those? I don't recognize them.
383z is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 AM
  #10  
TECH Enthusiast
 
ZYA_LTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Clinton Twp. Michigan
Posts: 658
Default

They look like any standard cutout available at Summit or Jegs, plain jane 3 bolt flange setup, just custom trimmed by installer to align properly with the Y-pipe.
ZYA_LTR is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM
  #11  
TECH Apprentice
 
tberg725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 339
Default

My vote will always be running an x pipe over y ive just seen too many times where a y pipe holds a combo back and imo these things sound wayyyy better with a dumped x i have it set up like that and dont seem to have a droning issue
tberg725 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 12:43 PM
  #12  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
5.7stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,234
Default

Originally Posted by 98RedBird View Post
So a few years ago I picked up a set of TSP 1 7/8's and their rumbler duals. They were intended for another car that they never went on.

So now I'm building this car and still have them sitting there.

That said, the duals will present a few issues for me. I'm going to be lowered on strano's/koni yellow's, so ground clearance with the duals will suffer compared to a y setup.

The other issue is drone, the duals can suck in an automatic (which this car is).

The other "possible" issue is smell. I do have the option to run cats with the y pipe setup to cut down on the odor if I so choose.

If not for the potential power loss, I'd absolutely go with the y pipe setup.

So, in regards to the power being given up between the two, what are we realistically talking here? Both H/C/I and with the 150 shot?
This is what I did. I'm H/C/I on a 150 shot.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-cutouts.html
5.7stroker is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM
  #13  
Super Hulk Smash
iTrader: (7)
 
JakeFusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 10,771
Default

Problem is a Y-pipe/cutout combo is much easier to live with vs. true duals. I had Kooks TDs for 6 years. It was miserable. Absolutely ******* miserable. Inside the car was 95db when the stall was slipping in traffic. 95! With second skin damplifier throughout for noise suppression. Cruising was 80-85. Idle was 77-78. Again, that's inside the car. Louder than my damn Harley. I had my brother stand outside with my SPL meter. I was over 130db WOT driving away.

With the TSP catback, it's more like 75 now inside. But it doesn't drone... the low frequency resonance isn't there. Cutout picks up about 15HP over the catback. Duals are worth a good 20HP at least. More torque in the midrange and more power after peak. I may eventually swap mufflers out on the duals (like Corsa 3" RSCs) and go back to them. But eh.
JakeFusion is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 AM
  #14  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by Full-Force View Post
Cant compare dual to stockish y pipe setup. A good merge with a 4" outlet is gonna sound the same and perform better in my opinion. My heads/cam car is trapping 99MPH in the 1/8th and sounds damn good.

I didn't know it was gonna be a pro tree so I left at too low of an rpm. Otherwise I would have left around 6,000

VIDEO
Whoa man that thing moves out. What's your suspension setup?
warriorpluto is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 08:43 AM
  #15  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
landstuhltaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CBUS
Posts: 1,109
Default

I would never bother with the extra weight of a dual setup. Good 3" Y into a 3.5 or 4" merge and then pick how you want to finish it. I've been running a catted ARH 3.5" Y for two years now with a single Coastfab muffler dumped before the axle. Lightest setup you will find and keeps the car at ~98dB at 50ft under WOT. If you don't like the noise in the cabin just run it all the way out the back.


landstuhltaylor is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 08:51 AM
  #16  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bonaire, Ga.
Posts: 25
Default

These are a few pictures of my sonís 2001 SS exhaust with dual cut-outs. Used TSP y-pipe with QTP cut-outs and works great with no ground clearance issues. It sits level with the exhaust pipe. We positioned the cut-outs in the best place to maximize clearance on all sides. Works great and the QTP cut-outs can be opened slightly or wide open or anywhere in between. Thatís great for cruising when you want a little more sound with out full open exhaust. Also good for a Procharged 755 horse preliminary dyno tune a couple of weeks ago so flows good as well!


blown69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 PM
  #17  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
99 Black Bird T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,079
Default

Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
Problem is a Y-pipe/cutout combo is much easier to live with vs. true duals. I had Kooks TDs for 6 years. It was miserable. Absolutely ******* miserable. Inside the car was 95db when the stall was slipping in traffic. 95! With second skin damplifier throughout for noise suppression. Cruising was 80-85. Idle was 77-78. Again, that's inside the car. Louder than my damn Harley. I had my brother stand outside with my SPL meter. I was over 130db WOT driving away.

With the TSP catback, it's more like 75 now inside. But it doesn't drone... the low frequency resonance isn't there. Cutout picks up about 15HP over the catback. Duals are worth a good 20HP at least. More torque in the midrange and more power after peak. I may eventually swap mufflers out on the duals (like Corsa 3" RSCs) and go back to them. But eh.
That's definitely good information about the dB levels with Kook's True Dual Exhaust vs TSP Catback with Y pipe.

Downloaded Sound Meter dB app for my cellphone and checked the following. I'm sure that's not quite as accurate as a dB meter.

02 Z28 - stock
Idle in the car 45-50 dB
Idle outside the car, 20 inches from exhaust phone at exhaust level 45 degree angle - 55-58 dB
​​​​​​2,000 rpm cruise - 60-63 dB

99 Trans Am - 416, Kook's LT's headers, no cats, Hooker Blackheart 2.5 inch True Dual exhaust with x-pipe.
Idle in the car - 60-65 dB
Idle outside of the car, 20 inches away at exhaust level, 45 degree angle - 78-82 dB
2000 rpm to 2500 rpm- County road - 73-76 dB
2500 rpm - interstate - 70-73 dB

​​​​​​​The BlackHeart is close to my limit of being able to tolerate and daily drive or do a long trip. Can't imagine what the Kook's True Duals would be like.
99 Black Bird T/A is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 PM
  #18  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (9)
 
handyandy496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert View Post
Thereís limited options with space in lowered car.
Another possibility is to run cutouts before the y merge.
Depends on if you will get alotta street driving on bad roads.
This is what im going with in spring.

This is what I have. I got it from Mufflex. I have the 1 cut out after the merge on 4" pipe. The flowmaster merge creates good flow. Gain was 5mph in the 1/8. 98.38mph. 6.9 et.
handyandy496 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:41 PM
  #19  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 9,490
Default

Those Flowmaster merges pay for themselves...
G Atsma is online now  
Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 AM
  #20  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (42)
 
rel3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 1,799
Question

Originally Posted by handyandy496 View Post
This is what I have. I got it from Mufflex. I have the 1 cut out after the merge on 4" pipe. The flowmaster merge creates good flow. Gain was 5mph in the 1/8. 98.38mph. 6.9 et.
Gained 5mph over using WHAT?
What did that replace? 5mph gain is a LOT.
I'm curious what you had prior to Mufflex/Flowmaster merge.

I have a mild 6.0 with just a set of 1-3/4" BBK longtubes and their included Y.
Turbo spec'd cam that it had, showed zero gain between full closed exhaust (Jeg's) and 3" cutout open, mounted in the "I" pipe under passenger side rear seat.
Now with better cam, there's an obvious power difference between the two.
Just trying to figure if I should "start over" exhaust wise?
rel3rd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: