LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   5.3 in 1998 Z28 - Accessory Question (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1912992-5-3-1998-z28-accessory-question.html)

KansasZ28 01-07-2019 01:25 PM

5.3 in 1998 Z28 - Accessory Question

So I purchased a 1998 Z28 Camaro roller last summer as a project... I finally rubbed enough pennies together to pick up a 2002 L59 5.3 with 103k (running) for the Z28. I have been searching high and low and can't find a lot of information regarding the accessory drive. Most people seem to be replacing an LS1 and already have an accessory drive including brackets and tensioners that they can just swap over. To buy a new kit would blow my budget out of the water... can anybody help a brother out?

Can any of the 5.3 brackets or tensioners be used in a 98-02 F-Body chassis? Is the issue the height or depth of the 5.3 drive?

I would like to keep all accessories functional.... If I can locate a decent deal on a 5.7 oil pan, and pickup, then I'll be down to the final challenge which is using a 98 PCM and harness or upgrading to a 99-02 PCM/Harness and all the headaches that might involve.

KansasZ28 01-08-2019 12:29 PM

Still hoping someone can answer, the only differences beyond depth that stand out between the L59 drive and the LS1, are that the alternator sits higher on the L59 which could cause clearance issues with the hood, and the power steering pump sits lower and might interfere with the steering shaft?

Is there a bracket that moves just those two accessories while retaining the rest of the brackets?

bammax 01-08-2019 12:36 PM

The trucks put the alternator up high and the f-body doesn't let you do that without cutting a hole in the hood. That's really the entire issue. The best bet is really just searching this sites marketplace, car-part.com, Craigslist and ebay to find someone parting out the accessories. You can go aftermarket but it gets pricey fast. I'm not sure if any of the newer Camaro or vette accessories will fit your chassis but it's worth searching the interwebs to see.

KansasZ28 01-08-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bammax (Post 20027303)
The trucks put the alternator up high and the f-body doesn't let you do that without cutting a hole in the hood. That's really the entire issue. The best bet is really just searching this sites marketplace, car-part.com, Craigslist and ebay to find someone parting out the accessories. You can go aftermarket but it gets pricey fast. I'm not sure if any of the newer Camaro or vette accessories will fit your chassis but it's worth searching the interwebs to see.

So it may be possible to just get a relocation bracket for the alternator only, and run the other accessories like normal? Because if so that is going to help the budget quite a bit.

I have been scouring craigslist and facebook marketplace, and haven't found any accessory drives close. It also seems that people want $400-$500 for the drives, even when they are listed outside my area.

G Atsma 01-08-2019 02:16 PM

Check out Holley, DirtyDingo, KWiK Performance for accessory drive solutions

KansasZ28 01-08-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 20027362)
Check out Holley, DirtyDingo, KWiK Performance for accessory drive solutions

Trust me I have, I know there are relocation brackets for just about everything, and I know that kits can range from several hundred dollars to multiple thousands of dollars... and that single relocation brackets can be as low as $150.

What I don't know is if it's necessary to replace all of the truck accessory brackets, or if there is a single relocation bracket that moves one part and allows you to use the rest. It's hard to stomach spending as much on some brackets as the entire 5.3 cost.

G Atsma 01-08-2019 02:48 PM

The only truck brackets are the one that holds both the alternator and P/S pump, and the A/C bracket on the lower right

KansasZ28 01-08-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 20027375)
The only truck brackets are the one that holds both the alternator and P/S pump, and the A/C bracket on the lower right

Tony @ dirty dingo responded to an e-mail... you don't have to run full LS1 accessories to run a 5.3 in a 4th Gen F-Body. They offer a billet low mount alternator bracket for $119, which requires an LS1 power steering pump, and the normal tapping of the block. Beyond that since we have to run an LS1/6 intake to clear the windshield cowl, they offer billet water pump spacers for $49 that put the water pump inline with the truck balancer.

So while you do have to source some accessories, your total for the bracket and spacers is a couple hundred which is easily the cheapest I have seen.

bammax 01-08-2019 03:11 PM

Sounds like you found the best deal available. Just make sure if you use those parts to keep records so you don't end up thoroughly confused in 10 years when you change a pulley and things don't line up.

Forrer13 01-30-2019 03:22 PM

Have you tried www.ictbillet.com ? They sell a selection of accessory drive relocation brackets, very reasonably priced.