Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race only factory FI aftermarket Controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race only factory FI aftermarket Controller

To start off with, I'm an old dog and this is a real new trick. Thanks for your patience.

We have a drag race only application and a complete factory stock LS1. We were going to buy an ignition controller and run a carb but the suggestion was made that we'd get better consistency with FI. We're now considering buying an aftermarket controller to run the entire factory FI system. That being said, we're going to run completely open headers which changes the back pressure that the original system was made for and we're also going to run a cam something comparable to an MS4 or something else just as big, also not part of the original set up. Are the aftermarket controllers easily capable of being programed to accept those changes? What we're NOT interested in is changing to another FI system. If we can easily make the factory system work we'll go that direction. Also, what controller would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The factory computer can probably handle what you want to do if you get the car in the hands of a good LS tuner. The aftermarket systems are generally for very specific features that aren't possible with the factory setup or for people who intend on making many big changes and don't know exactly where different sensors will end up. The gm systems are really pretty powerful once you figure them out.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

My race engine is run by a Megasquirt MS3 controller. Smaller and lighter than stock. Much easier to tune. With a couple of choices on tuning choices, you should have no problem getting power and consistency. You can easily omit or use things like closed loop, idle air control valve, etc.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
The factory computer can probably handle what you want to do if you get the car in the hands of a good LS tuner...The gm systems are really pretty powerful once you figure them out.
I didn't realize you could program the factory computers. Good to know, thanks.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by .boB
My race engine is run by a Megasquirt MS3 controller. Smaller and lighter than stock. Much easier to tune...
Easy is good! LOL Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Start a topic in the "pcm diagnostic and tuning" section listing your exact engine/trans build and exactly what you plan to do with it and see what system people recommend.

I always recommend gm 411 or newer if you're running a gm trans that ends in E. If you go powerglide or manual the aftermarket systems become more interesting. If you go manual and want nitrous or boost control or some other electronically controlled subsystem then aftermarket becomes the best bet from a simplicity and price standpoint.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
Start a topic in the "pcm diagnostic and tuning" section listing your exact engine/trans build and exactly what you plan to do with it and see what system people recommend...If you go powerglide or manual the aftermarket systems become more interesting...
Thanks for the recommendation, I 'm still new to the grounds here. I'll be running my PG.