Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' to 99' and up PCM question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98' to 99' and up PCM question

So I have searched and found some threads about this topic and repining harnesses, etc. these posts talk about how complex it is and how in order to have an operational fuel gauge you have to do additional complicated work.

My situation is a little different, my 98' Z28 is a roller, and has no harness. I have found a company that offers a 98' to 02' PCM swap kit which includes the following: Proper setup for 98 fuel gauges, setup for selected transmission, rear end ratio, tire size, and coded to VIN.

My thought is because the PCM will be coded to my VIN, I shouldn't have to worry about VATS delete until my "real" tune, and I shouldn't have to repin the harness because I can just source a 99+ harness from a Tahoe? Does that sound correct, anything else to worry about? I need a PCM and harness either way, this seems like a decent option to end up with an 0411 PCM without the headache in a 98'.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

To the PCM and tuning forum we go ...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You cant just plug a 99 tahoe harness in a f body, you will have to re-pin your 98 harness.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
You cant just plug a 99 tahoe harness in a f body, you will have to re-pin your 98 harness.
It doesn't seem like you read my initial post. My 98' Z28 is a roller that does not have a PCM or engine harness, I have an 02' L59 5.3 that I am putting in the Z. I found a company that sells an 0411 PCM which as had the fuel tables adjusted to work with a 98' body harness, my question is not if a 98' harness needs a re-pin (I know they do), but since I don't have an engine harness in the first place if I can just use a newer style harness that already has the correct pin for the PCM.

Edit:
Continued to search it appears any 99+ LS engine harness will work with the PCM since these harnesses used 411 PCM, however, the one issue I have uncovered so far is that the 98' cluster displays the coolant temp directly from the sensor which is a three wire sensor and the 99+ harness is for a 2 wire sensor so at minimum the sensor needs to be upgraded. Still tryin to figure out how to work around to display the coolant temp on the cluster.

Last edited by KansasZ28; 01-17-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: New Info.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 PM
FormerVendor

I read your post, a truck harness will NOT plug into a 98 f body body harness. A 98 has 3 plugs that plug into the car on the passenger side floor board, a 99 fbody harness or a truck harness will not have the correct plugs. Anyone who sells tunes and pcms can sell you a 896/411 pcm setup to work with a 98 thats not the issue, we done tons of them. You can re-pin a 98 harness to work with a 896/411 pcm or use a 99 f body engine and body harness along with a 99 cluster.

With enough re-pinning and re-wiring you can make anything work in theory, if its worth it would be the question, essentially you would be rebuilding the whole harness.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Teching In

I read your post, a truck harness will NOT plug into a 98 f body body harness. A 98 has 3 plugs that plug into the car on the passenger side floor board, a 99 fbody harness or a truck harness will not have the correct plugs. Anyone who sells tunes and pcms can sell you a 896/411 pcm setup to work with a 98 thats not the issue, we done tons of them. You can re-pin a 98 harness to work with a 896/411 pcm or use a 99 f body engine and body harness along with a 99 cluster.

With enough re-pinning and re-wiring you can make anything work in theory, if its worth it would be the question, essentially you would be rebuilding the whole harness.
Would a 99’ LS1 engine harness work?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by KansasZ28

Would a 99’ LS1 engine harness work?
yes, If you get a complete 99+ body harness and cluster like was already mentioned. Just get a stock 98 harness and repin it, not that hard. Fuel gauge works with tuning, not hard either and the info is out there.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
yes, If you get a complete 99+ body harness and cluster like was already mentioned. Just get a stock 98 harness and repin it, not that hard. Fuel gauge works with tuning, not hard either and the info is out there.
This is what I can't get a definitive answer on...

LSX Power Tuning confirmed that the f-body body harness has three connectors and the truck engine harness won't connect. However, from searching it seems like people have used 99+ f-body engine harness and the only issue that I have found was that the 98' uses a three wire coolant temp sensor, and the 99+ use a two wire. I haven't seen anything stating you have to upgrade body harness and cluster, only that you have to have the correct fuel segment tables for the fuel gauge to read the fuel level.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KansasZ28
This is what I can't get a definitive answer on...

LSX Power Tuning confirmed that the f-body body harness has three connectors and the truck engine harness won't connect. However, from searching it seems like people have used 99+ f-body engine harness and the only issue that I have found was that the 98' uses a three wire coolant temp sensor, and the 99+ use a two wire. I haven't seen anything stating you have to upgrade body harness and cluster, only that you have to have the correct fuel segment tables for the fuel gauge to read the fuel level.
See our previous reply above in red.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Teching In

See our previous reply above in red.
Back to the drawing board... I found a 99' Trans Am PCM and harness last night for a decent price and attempted to pick it up, but didn't get a response from the seller (guess I lucked out.) Looks like I will focus on finding a 98' harness and using the rest of the Chicago winter to take my time and label connectors and then re-pin. Thanks for everyone for the responses and help.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I just bought another set of red/blue connectors off ebay and then just went through swapping the wires out, took maybe 2 hours.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I just bought another set of red/blue connectors off ebay and then just went through swapping the wires out, took maybe 2 hours.
It's too cold right now to work on the engine in the non-heated garage, but I can sit in my basement and go through the red/blue connectors with a guide. This will at least help me make some sort of progress, so that hopefully things speed up when the weather starts to warm up.