Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! need views on damage assesment after CAM SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! need views on damage assesment after CAM SWAP

ok so the run down, this past weekend I was doing a cam swap on my 01 z28 I did everything correctly or at least I thought I did. when I started it all I heard was valves meeting pistons and then I tried to start it again and the motor seized after closer evaluation I realized that when I installed the new timing set I used the advanced timing keyway on the 3 key for the crankshaft and used the factory timing mark. causing the crank to be 150-160 degrees out of timing clockwise. I know I have bent valves but I don't know if I have holes in my pistons until I take the motor apart. for closer evaluation. what are you thoughts
Old 02-05-2019, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

My thought would be, no one knows what's in there until you take it apart. Guessing would be of no help here.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
My thought would be, no one knows what's in there until you take it apart. Guessing would be of no help here.
very true, I just hope no valves went through pistons. it was such a rookie mistake to make, I was in such a rush to get the motor back together. when I started it you could definitely hear 1 or 2 valves hitting pistons through each rotation. Im gonna pull the heads off this weekend.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Ouch man that sucks like he said wont really know the carnage till you pull it apart.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Teching In

it most definitely does. hopefully the pistons are in decent shape so I can just rebuild the heads and call it a day but if one is cracked then I have to pull the motor
Old 02-05-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tj613tjtj
it most definitely does. hopefully the pistons are in decent shape so I can just rebuild the heads and call it a day but if one is cracked then I have to pull the motor
Yah it happens man just got to learn from it and put it back together.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I had a Honda 4 cylinder lose a timing belt. When it was "done running", it would spin very fast - as if no compression.. huh!? All valves were bent - no reliefs in pistons. I liked the car so much (87 civic) that I redid the head. Ran better than ever until 1 week later I was hit from behind. Car was totaled. Neck was stiff. Broke my heart.
I'm a little frightened that you're locked up. Best case is a bunch of bent valves - parts cost probably 300-ish with gaskets and all. Worst case is valves and pistons. If pistons are involved (you'll know when you get the heads off), it'll suck having to remove the engine but finding used factory pistons.... probably not so expensive with so many folks "upgrading".

Good luck in any case. I feel your pain.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Always a good idea to rotating the engine over by hand before firing it up. You'd have felt things "kick and stick" then.

But if the motor is toast, just pick up a junkyard 5.3L motor... better for a turbo anyway.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Any updates? Did you get the heads off yet? I'm doing a cam swap next month so I am definitely glad I read this. Just one more thing to be reminded of when doing the install. Curious to hear and/or see the damage done. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Teching In

So I got the heads off last weekends. The crank was 120 degrees advanced causing 7 exhaust valves to break. When they broke the broken valves flipped upside down and as the piston cam back up the valves punched through the pistons. I ripped the motor out on Sunday. Rebuilding it this weekend got new pistons and ls6 prc stage 2.5 milled .20 over so it will be sitting at 61cc with the cam it should clear no problem. Gotta rebuild the bottom end this weekend throw the heads and and then measure for new pushrods. I'll throw some photos up later today of the carnage.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Default Piece of advice when using a cloyes hex a just timing set.

Originally Posted by Dorito23
Any updates? Did you get the heads off yet? I'm doing a cam swap next month so I am definitely glad I read this. Just one more thing to be reminded of when doing the install. Curious to hear and/or see the damage done. Good luck!
if you are using a cloyes hex a just timing set with the swap make sure you get the instructions online for timing correctly bc they dont come in the box. The crank gear is a 3 key way for advancing or retarding timing per cam. So with that being said if you dont want to mess with it pick up a factory timing type timing chain set or just pick up an ls2 timing chain. Also when you are changing or taking off the oil pump YOU HAVE to unbolt the oil pan and drop it at least an inch or two to get to the lower oil pump bolt that connects the pickup tube. If you have any question mid swap feel free to ask.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this same thing when I first started rebuilding engines. The motor turned over by hand because the lifters weren’t pumped up and it compressed the lifters when the pistons hit the valves. I started the engine and all hell broke loose. Tough lesson but you’re not the first. Hope you get her going.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Teching In

For all who are interested ended up rebuilding the bottom end, redid the timing and threw together some PRC ls6 heads with the cam and new injectors. After priming the motor, oil pressure spiked up and it started like a dream. Idles horrible and will shut off when stopped but nothing a tune cant fix. Cant wait to break in the motor and put her on the dyno