Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 with LS6 Valley cover oil on cover issues, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 with LS6 Valley cover oil on cover issues, HELP!

I have a 1998 LS1, before the latest (road course) track day I wanted to simplify the PCV routing and decided to change the valley cover to the LS6 one and route the lines appropriately, as well as cap what needed to be capped. I did the necessary notching of the block and installed the cover. Since then, and it may just be coincidence, it seems I have been leaking oil onto the top side of the valley cover and I can't understand where the oil is coming from. It is a substantial amount of oil after only 1 or 2 sessions on track. Driving around on the street, i.e., low RPMs and just cruising I don't seem to leak any noticeable amount. But as soon as I'm on track with all high RPMs and corners it absolutely covers the valley cover with oil (I'm talking an entire quart of oil spewed out of the thing in 1 session).

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? It don't see any tell tail signs that the valve covers are leaking and the valve cover gaskets are relatively new. Where else could the oil be squirting out from only at high RPM and covering the valley cover?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd need a better description of what lines you changed. And obviously there are leaks somewhere. Do you have lots of oil INSIDE your intake manifold? Got any pix, of your PCV hose routing? Used a new valley cover gasket? Torqued all bolts in correct order?
I put on the LS6 VC last year, and at autocross, no issues at all.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Old 04-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
I'd need a better description of what lines you changed. And obviously there are leaks somewhere. Do you have lots of oil INSIDE your intake manifold? Got any pix, of your PCV hose routing? Used a new valley cover gasket? Torqued all bolts in correct order?
I put on the LS6 VC last year, and at autocross, no issues at all.
No oil inside the intake manifold. New valley cover gasket was used when I did the LS6 cover. All bolts torqued.

Open to any ideas!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Teching In

As you can see, LOTS of oil in the knock sensor holes. It feels tight on the Valley Cover when I lift it off so I can only assume the oil is coming out of another area and then pooling inside the knock sensor area. Then as the car corners, the oil comes sloshing out in great quantities.

Since I can't run the engine with the intake manifold off, I just can't see where the oil is spewing out of at the high RPMs. There are equal amounts of oil over the entire cover, pooling in the little valleys of all the M8 head bolts too.

Last edited by pMak26; 04-20-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-19-2019, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

whats with the 5 hose clamps around the pcv hose??? you dont need all that.. just the pre-shaped hose going from valley cover to intake manifold

Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

oil in the KS holes is a bad seal.....put in new ones
Old 04-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
oil in the KS holes is a bad seal.....put in new ones
Are you sure? The oil could pool up inside the KS hole, meaning it wasn't leaking back down into the valley. This was a brand new OEM LS6 valley cover, not a used one.

Edit, If anyone things changing this seal would solve my issue, I'm all for it. Anyone else agree?

Last edited by pMak26; 04-19-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
whats with the 5 hose clamps around the pcv hose??? you dont need all that.. just the pre-shaped hose going from valley cover to intake manifold
At first all I had was the U shaped hose. Then with this oiling issue, I decided to put the stock LS1 PCV valve in-line with this section to see if it made a difference, hence the many hose clamps and the PCV valve. It didn't work, clearly.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

that seal is supposed to keep oil out of the KS hole.....does the KS stand on the block have any nicks or burrs that would compromise the seal ? i use Vaseline on the seals to help them not tear on installation
Old 04-20-2019, 02:39 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You ran always clean the KS bosses well, along with the cover. Put some RTV Ultra Black on both seals before you put it on.

Also, get all that crap off the valley. Buy a Norris Motorsports catch can, mount it on the passenger side front of the head, and be done with it.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I've decided, for now, to go back to the stock ls1 valley cover setup. Here is how I've run the PCV setup (clear line for now so I can see if there is any oil pooling issue).

In the meantime, I'll order up some KS gaskets and next time I feel like tinkering I'll put the LS6 cover back on and try it again. Heck I'll bring all of it to my next track day, It only takes me 15 minutes to pop everything off and on again so I can do it in-between sessions if needed.