Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Loudmouth too loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLP Loudmouth too loud

So my car had an SLP LM1 when I bought it. I have since done TSP long tubes and off road Y pipe and a hot cam. I thought the LM1 was a little too raspy before but now it needs to go. Any suggestions on something with more tone and less obnoxious that I can just switch the resinator out for? Also would consider an entirely new cat-back with the muffler in the original spot.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the LM2 and like it a lot. I have long tubes Kooks with Y, and cats, stock cam/internals.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I run Lt's into 3in ory with 4in. merger and 4in. electric cutout.
My cat back is nice and jammed up stock lol.
With the cutout closed its actually pretty quiet. Then I can crack the cutout open a tit for a little rumble or open it all the way to put it on blast mode.

So maybe a cut after the y and then jam it up good after is something to look into. I love it. I have a very slight exhaust note with it closed while cruising and numbing chaos at wot with it open.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put an actual magnaflow muffler in one of pipes that exits to left . Guaranteed it will cut the volume down by 50% percent.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Get a Corsa or TSP catback or replace the Y pipe with a TSP catted Y pipe.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknroler69
So my car had an SLP LM1 when I bought it. I have since done TSP long tubes and off road Y pipe and a hot cam. I thought the LM1 was a little too raspy before but now it needs to go. Any suggestions on something with more tone and less obnoxious that I can just switch the resinator out for? Also would consider an entirely new cat-back with the muffler in the original spot.
I have almost the exact same setup and I bought it that way, Hooker long tube headers, offroad Y pipe and the loud mouth, Very VERY loud, Obnoxiously loud and I am all for the noise, but it does not have a tuned sound. When I had my old 1998 Trans Am, I had the MAC Mid length headers, I welded up exhaust flanges and made my cats removable, and the borla cat back. I removed the cats and took the car to Englishtown raceway where the car consistently ran 2 tenths slower than it did with the cats in it. It also sounded 10000000000000000 times better with the cats in it vs the cats removed. I personally fell in love with the B&B exhaust sound with the MAC headers but no one was selling a B&B system back then, I felt fortunate to get the Borla second hand although some mook welded it in their car and then took one of those chain cutters and cut the borla in to 19 pieces and put it in a box and shipped it to me. I did not realize I would have to play a jigsaw puzzle with my welder to get it all back together but after a full weekend of looking like a monkey F***ing a football I finally got it all right and i just labeled each piece with a sharpie and went to town with a tig welder. Not easy with the stainless either having to cover the end with tin foil and fill up the pies with shielding gas to get the welds to be strong enough. My ex taught me that trick back in the day.
Anyway, I need to order 2 high flow universal 3 in cats from summit and put them in the Y Pipe to make this car sound more tuned and less raspy.
I was also thinking of doing a Tick Cam install with a polluter cam in it. Put a hot Cam in my old car but back then that was the ONLY cam you could get none of the companies were making LS cams back in 1999-2000. So im glad I have a lot of choices these days.
Good luck wtih your exhaust
Jennifur
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

3" pipes into a Flowmaster 3" to 4" merge into a single 3.5" or 4" bullet dumped at a slight angle. It sounds absolutely perfect. My roommate has this setup on his trans am and it honestly sounds better and likely performs better than my 3" duals.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Put an actual magnaflow muffler in one of pipes that exits to left . Guaranteed it will cut the volume down by 50% percent.
Seems like the 14419 is a popular swap for the LM1s, would that be just as good as one of the square mufflers? I had thought about one of those but not sure it'll fit where the resinator is.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknroler69
Seems like the 14419 is a popular swap for the LM1s, would that be just as good as one of the square mufflers? I had thought about one of those but not sure it'll fit where the resinator is.
Yes that is one of most popular replacement.
i got a different oval muffler in a catback oem location because I got bored of duals, it’s super quiet..
you may not want super quiet, so my idea was to put 12219 in one of tailpipes.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Magnamouth conversion hands down will sound better.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought a flopro twister to put where it is....wish I just went with true duals instead of the LM2 to begin with. When I did long tubes and ORY it was stupid, sounded like a straight piped peice of redneck garbage. The twister helped, but its still garbage to me.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trilkb
I bought a flopro twister to put where it is....wish I just went with true duals instead of the LM2 to begin with. When I did long tubes and ORY it was stupid, sounded like a straight piped peice of redneck garbage. The twister helped, but its still garbage to me.
That's a perfect way to describe how it sounds. I haven't even driven mine yet much at all since the cam but as soon as I started it after it was sone I immediately thought, “Nope"
Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've heard a LM2 that sounded good, but it used an aftermarket merge.

A stock LM1 or LM2 is about the worst exhaust (aside from actual "straight pipes") you can put on an Fbody.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Question to you all, HOW can you identify or tell which Loud Mouth system you have?

I got my car with the headers and loud mouth already installed and I have no idea which one I have. is there a tell tale way to identify a LM1, LM2?
My Y Pipe has no cats and is 3 inch pipes into a single collector down to the split over the rear and out the 2 polished slash cut single 3 inch tips.
Not sure if that description will be able to tell if thats a LM1 or 2 but if there is a way please could someone tell me how to tell which one is which?
Also my LM hangs down WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too low, and scrapes on damn near everything on the road, my driveway and speed bumps.
Have an old BMR drive shaft loop that bolts to the underside so I was going to use that and see if that lifts the exhaust up some and gets it higher under the car. was also going to loosen up all the band clamps, and use a floor jack and lift the exhaust up gently and then tighten the clamps back up and see if that gets it a little higher and tucked up under the car better so It does not scrape everything out there and stop it from constantly squeaking and scratching things on the underside. I am not 100% sure but the headers which I think are hookers are a small part of the problem since they seem to hang down lower than they should so then the Y pipe is now too low because of the header collectors. My old 98 I had a long time ago I had the MAC 3/4 length headers with the MAC Y pipe and a borla cat back and I NEVER had any issues scraping anything, squeaking and scratching and scraping on the ground or on heat shields under the car. So i hope I can get this fixed cause the squeaking drives me MENTAL its just constantly squeaking even at idle its squeaking with the engines vibrations. So something is touching the exhaust somewhere so I need to find that and take care of it somehow. but any suggestions or tips n tricks would be extremely and deeply appreciated.
Thank you all......

Jenni
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifur
Question to you all, HOW can you identify or tell which Loud Mouth system you have?

I got my car with the headers and loud mouth already installed and I have no idea which one I have. is there a tell tale way to identify a LM1, LM2?
My Y Pipe has no cats and is 3 inch pipes into a single collector down to the split over the rear and out the 2 polished slash cut single 3 inch tips.
Not sure if that description will be able to tell if thats a LM1 or 2 but if there is a way please could someone tell me how to tell which one is which?
Also my LM hangs down WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too low, and scrapes on damn near everything on the road, my driveway and speed bumps.
Have an old BMR drive shaft loop that bolts to the underside so I was going to use that and see if that lifts the exhaust up some and gets it higher under the car. was also going to loosen up all the band clamps, and use a floor jack and lift the exhaust up gently and then tighten the clamps back up and see if that gets it a little higher and tucked up under the car better so It does not scrape everything out there and stop it from constantly squeaking and scratching things on the underside. I am not 100% sure but the headers which I think are hookers are a small part of the problem since they seem to hang down lower than they should so then the Y pipe is now too low because of the header collectors. My old 98 I had a long time ago I had the MAC 3/4 length headers with the MAC Y pipe and a borla cat back and I NEVER had any issues scraping anything, squeaking and scratching and scraping on the ground or on heat shields under the car. So i hope I can get this fixed cause the squeaking drives me MENTAL its just constantly squeaking even at idle its squeaking with the engines vibrations. So something is touching the exhaust somewhere so I need to find that and take care of it somehow. but any suggestions or tips n tricks would be extremely and deeply appreciated.
Thank you all......

Jenni

I would try to see if you can get it to sit in there a little better just by moving it around, but a cut piece of radiator hose can do wonders for padding spots where the exhaust may rub.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

If you are still considering changing the exhaust entirely, I put a factory dual dual on mine and it is awesome. It has qtp longtubes, off road y with dual 3" to 4" flowmaster merge. Had single 4” with a dynomax bullet. Was super loud. I feel like it picked up torque too with the factory exhaust. Car has a 234/242 cam.

Rob
Old 06-06-2019, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Laddimyr
I would try to see if you can get it to sit in there a little better just by moving it around, but a cut piece of radiator hose can do wonders for padding spots where the exhaust may rub.

Good to know. I found digging through my old stuff the old BMR drive shaft Loop and Cross Brace so I plan on installing that when I get a moment free and use that brace to hold up the exhaust at least in the middle of the car and maybe use a small floor jack to lift the exhaust up when I loosen up the clamps, and then put some upwards pressure on it, then tighten the clamps back up and see if its rubbing any heat shields and either bend the shields so they dont touch the exhaust or manipulate the hangers to not touch or take your advice and use some pieces of radiator hoses and hose clamps to holdl those pieces in place to stop it from squeaking so bad.
Thank you for the tip, appreciate it very much

Jenni

Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris25
Magnamouth conversion hands down will sound better.

Thats what I’m running with Texas speed ory. Sounds a lot better. Slp muffler isn’t 3” all the way through like the magnaflow. I went to advance auto and bought a 3.5” to 3” o.d ( I think? Can’t remember) fitting.. I cut the merge end off ( think that was 2.75”) and welded the new piece in place. The 3.5 end fit very snug over the merge which made it nice. This little change made a noticeable difference with rasp and only cost $15. Probably flows a tad better also! I know I should’ve went stainless .

Last edited by ironmikektm525; 06-06-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Loudmouth too loud?

Could be worse with the Sweet Tea too sweet and hot wings too hot Sorry had too

I would try the Magnaflow Mod mentioned above. The loudmouth was always to much for my ears. And old SLP dual/dual muffler will definitely quiet the car as well.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

i have the same issue. the car wasnt too bad stock with the loudmouth but after heads and cam the partial throttle is just ridiculous. guessing its due to the y pipe. going to try true duals, dont mind loud just a clean loud.