LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Confused on PCV, quick help?? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1921425-confused-pcv-quick-help.html)

L33 06-11-2019 07:43 AM

Confused on PCV, quick help??

I put the questions in bold and the surrounding info normal text...

For starters I have a 2005 L33 (5.3 Alum Truck Engine) ... Topped with a LS6 intake manifold. H-C-I N/A
The valve covers and they valley cover are from the truck engine.
The valley cover is just a cover (no PCV, no vacuum ports, just a plain cover.
The valve covers each have 1 port, but no PCV valve...
I guess certain engines have a special orifice or something instead of a PCV valve???

I plan on running a PCV system with a catch can, I currently have open valve covers and capped off vacuum ports
Can I put a valve cover designed PCV valve in-line with vacuum hose or is there an "in-line" PCV valve and is it different?

Again, I have one port per valve cover and a plain valley cover,
Do I Tee the Valve covers together or pull vacuum "thru" the engine side-to-side?

And finally going back to the "special orifice" ... if that is what I have on/in my valve covers,
Do I not need an actual PCV valve? Should I run one in parallel with the orifice (if it replaces a traditional PCV valve)?

I think thats about it... I have a decent understanding of the workings of a PCV in general, I just have a generation mix-up of parts and am ignorant on some of them,
I appreciate the time anyone takes to decipher this.
P.S. Is it bad to drive with just open valve cover ports (no PCV system) while I figure this out? Like are crankcase gasses "trapped" or does it just have potential to make a little "blow-by" mess?

Thanks again

bammax 06-11-2019 11:35 AM

I'm going off second hand info so you want to double check me on it.

The pcv on that engine is built into the drivers side valve cover. The spot where the vacuum line goes will have a raised round section which is to accommodate the pcv underneath. That started in '04 I think. When that valve gets gummed up you'll see an increase in oil consumption and may see some oil smoke from the tail pipe. Every so often you should pull the cover and scrub it out as well as possible to keep everything working right. If you do decide to run a catchcan that's the vacuum line that you want to tap into.

jetech 06-13-2019 07:06 PM

It is easy to tell if you have a pcv or the orifice. pull it out of the valve cover and look at it. Are you having an issue with blowing oil out or leaking seals?

L33 06-14-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jetech (Post 20109542)
It is easy to tell if you have a pcv or the orifice. pull it out of the valve cover and look at it. Are you having an issue with blowing oil out or leaking seals?

There is no pulling out (LOL) ... whatever is there is built into the valve cover, and not removable.. I may have a rear main seep but its a fresh engine and fresh swap (5.3 into an S10) so I just have never had a PCV setup as of yet, slowly wrapping up the build just not yet quite finished... Either way I can finally get around to toying with it again this weekend so I'll update the post in case anybody else was wondering.

trilkb 06-14-2019 10:22 AM

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...kpcvsystem.jpg

That should answer some questions but the ls6 intake has a different pcv location. I seem to remember a catch can isnt as important on a ls6 because of its pcv design. That picture should give you an idea of valve cover to valve cover routing though and how to get it to the t/b and intake manifold. These use a inline pcv valve, you still need a pcv with a catch can. It looks like a mess under the hood of an fbody but the pcv system is super simple once you learn where everything is going or supposed to go.

L33 06-14-2019 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by trilkb (Post 20109788)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...kpcvsystem.jpg

That should answer some questions but the ls6 intake has a different pcv location. I seem to remember a catch can isnt as important on a ls6 because of its pcv design. That picture should give you an idea of valve cover to valve cover routing though and how to get it to the t/b and intake manifold. These use a inline pcv valve, you still need a pcv with a catch can. It looks like a mess under the hood of an fbody but the pcv system is super simple once you learn where everything is going or supposed to go.

As stated I have just the LS6 intake manifold. I am using the L33 valley cover which has ZERO PCV revisions..

Basically just wondering if I need to T my valve covers together or am I pulling "thru" the engine... and ... Do I need a PCV Valve as well as the factory orificed valve cover??

bammax 06-14-2019 04:53 PM

The L33 you have just has a hose running from the drivers valve cover to the intake. Pull the valve cover and clean it out with carb cleaner every so often for maintenance. To plumb a catchcan just take the hose off the intake and stick it on the inlet of the can and get another section of the same type hose and go from the can outlet to the intake where you pulled off the hose. On the LS intakes the hose goes to the passenger side behind the throttle body so you'll have to cross behind the intake or run it under the throttle body.

L33 06-17-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bammax (Post 20110000)
The L33 you have just has a hose running from the drivers valve cover to the intake. Pull the valve cover and clean it out with carb cleaner every so often for maintenance. To plumb a catchcan just take the hose off the intake and stick it on the inlet of the can and get another section of the same type hose and go from the can outlet to the intake where you pulled off the hose. On the LS intakes the hose goes to the passenger side behind the throttle body so you'll have to cross behind the intake or run it under the throttle body.

Just to confirm, no additional PCV valve needed?

G Atsma 06-17-2019 10:34 AM

NO PCV valve needed or wanted.

L33 06-17-2019 11:26 AM

Awesome.... Thanks Guys!

Know anything about Base Running AirFlow Adjusting on HPT? ;-)

L33 06-17-2019 11:52 AM

Nevermind found a very helpful video

wannafbody 06-17-2019 09:04 PM

Some cans have a valve in them.