Notices
Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC system replacement help

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC system replacement help

Hey all,

I'm replacing my compressor, drier, orifice tube and lines on my 02 TA.

Im going to have a shop flush, vacuum, and then fill the refrigerant.

Question is, should I mount the drier and leave the lines disconnected until I take it to the shop? I presume I donít want to hook everything up and then have it sit for a few days before the shop gets around to flushing and applying vacuum? Donít want the desiccant in the drier to go bad.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

You could put them together hand tight, or get rubber plugs at the hardware store, or even just use duct tape.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not do it yourself?

My system was leaking and since I had to open it anyways to replace the motor mount through bolts I went back through the system and replaced all the seals and the orifice tube. Figured its probably time after 18 years but I put it all back together and didn't even pull a vacuum on the system. Just added the 9oz of PAG46 I think it was and 24oz of freon. It blows a cool 47į-50į out of the vents once it gets going and I'm still running the original A/C components that came with the car.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Iíd prefer to have the shop flush and pull a vacuum to get all the moisture out before filling with refrigerant. Just want to make sure itís done right

i was foncerned about hooking up the drier without pulling a vacuum on the system and having moisture trapped in there. I read that the desiccant in the drier can go bad if exposed for as little as 30 min.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

I'd take an air blower n blow out evap core and condenser. Unless ur compressor took a huge crap n you had debris stuck in orrifce tube... I wouldn't worry about flushing. Hook everything up and let them put it i to a vacuum and charge the system
Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

So how's the duct tape working out?

If you REALLY want to bite off, then, well, yerbasic 200 mph tape just ISN'T gonna cut it. I ran across this the other day in a cargo hold situation: 600 mph tape. Now tell me that's not good enough for this application.

https://catalog.berryglobal.com/prod...dhesiv228225fr

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: