Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 intake base on a Camaro Z28, hood won't clear

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default WS6 intake base on a Camaro Z28, hood won't clear

Hey gang. I just bought a WS6 intake box from another member, it's something I've wanted to put on my Camaro for a long time. Just thought it would be cool and maybe a little more power. But mainly just to do it. Well my Camaro is a 99 Z28 and the hood will not shut with the taller base. It's about a good inch and a half away from shutting. Which is about the different in height between the boxes. I have an SLP lid on the box. Any other lid that might fit that won't compromise airflow? Or will I need to bite the bullet on a new hood? Pics of the rub spots are where it was rubbing BEFORE the taller base. Hood stops weren't adjusted properly I guess.

Last edited by KissMyTushZ28; 06-16-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Looks like the WS6 uses a taller hood...
Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Looks like the WS6 uses a taller hood...
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting... Captain obvious...

Really now? I didn't notice that when I owned one.. *see avatar*.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Throw a WS6 hood on and problem solved! This is why we have aftermarket performance parts!
Old 06-16-2019, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Throw a WS6 hood on and problem solved! This is why we have aftermarket performance parts!
WS6 hood would look like **** on a Camaro even if it would fit because the sides near the headlights are shorter due to the Trans Am pop up headlights and the front comes to a point. And what after market parts are you referring to? Volant filters look like trash in my opinion, and everything else is based on the factory base and is usually just a lid and filter. I already have the SLP flowpack but that doesn't effect the base of the box. Which is what I've changed. My question was is there any other type of lid that's more streamlined that would fit or is a new hood my only option. A CAMARO hood.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you want a better intake, buy a better intake. Taking an airbox that doesn't fit, and doesn't offer anything to a camaro, then hacking **** away to make it "fit" isn't going to offer you anything.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Hack saw and duct tape....wtf do you want people to say?

Your first reply set the tone of this thread. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DietCoke
If you want a better intake, buy a better intake. Taking an airbox that doesn't fit, and doesn't offer anything to a camaro, then hacking **** away to make it "fit" isn't going to offer you anything.
Again what "better intake"? Did you even read my last post? Most aftermarket intakes are just a lid and filter and the Volant looks like trash. And I already said I have the SLP flowpack. And what am I asking about "hacking up"? I haven't mentioned cutting anything. I asked about a different lid that might be thinner or buying another hood. And doesn't offer anything? It's an addition inch and a half taller intake mouth on a RAM AIR system? You dont think that's beneficial? Are you people retarded?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
Hack saw and duct tape....wtf do you want people to say?

Your first reply set the tone of this thread. Good luck.
Again when did I mentioned hacking anything? And that's because it was a uesless comment that offered no help. So he got a smart *** reply. Just like most people have because apparently they either have no reading comprehension or are reading things that I didn't type.

Helpful info would be, the factory lid is thinner(I dont know because I changed mine over a decade ago and dont have the factory one anymore), or the SS hood would fit, or some aftermarket HOOD suggestions.

Stating that a WS.6 hood taller, no sh*t sherlock.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting... Captain obvious...

Really now? I didn't notice that when I owned one.. *see avatar*.
Well then you should have known. And I'm obvious???? Look in the mirror if you can handle it....
The following users liked this post:
rbl3 (07-02-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

The WS6 lower air box looks nice. I have one on my base model Trans Am with the stock OEM Trans Am hood. Back in 1999-2000 after swapping on the lower WS6 air box - it was worth NOTHING in seat ofxthese pantsxor on the dyno with an excellent after market lid. It did add some intake noise.

In fact for best results with an aftermarket ram air kit like the Fast Toys set up blocking the stock opening is required to pressurize the air box withxthe bottom fed ram air. All are superior to the stock TB sized lids.

In other words, other than more intake air noise the bigger WS6 lower air box doesn't help.

If you want a killer ram set set up contact Hiossilver for his custom made one ir get a super sucker ssra. Next best is Fast Toys kit with one of their 98 or 104 mm lids.

BTW - the big WS6 lower air box and Fast Toys 104 lid will fit under a stock TA hood. I left the WS6 box for the noise
Old 06-16-2019, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Nice!

Much bigger opening on the WS6 box than the 01 Camaro SS one.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Again when did I mentioned hacking anything? And that's because it was a uesless comment that offered no help. So he got a smart *** reply. Just like most people have because apparently they either have no reading comprehension or are reading things that I didn't type.

Helpful info would be, the factory lid is thinner(I dont know because I changed mine over a decade ago and dont have the factory one anymore), or the SS hood would fit, or some aftermarket HOOD suggestions.

Stating that a WS.6 hood taller, no sh*t sherlock.
My apologies...
Purchase a high speed cutting tool that can run off electricity or a pneumatic operated unit. Next use cardboard and create a template over the area of the intake that is hitting the hood. Carefully trace the outline of the cardboard template to the intake. Next get out your high speed cutting tool and cut along the lines you traced from the template. Go slowly so you dont knick anything. Next go to home depot and purchase professional grade hvac duct tape. Carefully cut the tape into exactly 11" strips and begin layering them over the hole you cut in the intake. You want to make sure you get everything airtight because you dont want unmetered air entering the engine after the maf. Just take your time and you wont have any problems.

:-)

Seriously, it hits. So what do you expect people to come up with to fix it? I get you're looking for help but the best answer so far is "remove it, it doesn't have any gains anyways". Hate to say it like that but it's up to your imagination to make it work if you want to run it.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

WS6 hood would look like **** on a Camaro even if it would fit because the sides near the headlights are shorter due to the Trans Am pop up headlights and the front comes to a point. And what after market parts are you referring to? Volant filters look like trash in my opinion, and everything else is based on the factory base and is usually just a lid and filter. I already have the SLP flowpack but that doesn't effect the base of the box. Which is what I've changed. My question was is there any other type of lid that's more streamlined that would fit or is a new hood my only option. A CAMARO hood.
It was only in fun that I mentioned slapping a WS6 hood on there but there are many aftermarket style hoods VFN being the one to look at.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Well then you should have known. And I'm obvious???? Look in the mirror if you can handle it....

Look here genius. It's obvious that a WS.6 has a taller hood. Any person that has seen one knows this. Especially someone that has owned one. So your statement was pointless. This is a pic of the inside of my Z28 hood. It looks like it would accommodate quite a bit of space. I don't have my WS.6 anymore so I can't compare side by side, hence this thread. So since this hood looks plenty deep, I figured maybe the WS.6 intake box tilts backwards a bit more to lower the top of the lid and make it fit. Only way to find out is to try, which I did and now learned it doesn't fit. So now I'm asking if any other LID will work or if my ONLY option is to get a hood. Will an SS hood fit? Will I have to get a cowl? I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this. So get your panties out of a wad.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was only in fun that I mentioned slapping a WS6 hood on there but there are many aftermarket style hoods VFN being the one to look at.
Yeah I have been wanting the sunoco curved cowl hood but I'm not in a good spot to spend that much money right now. I'm about to move soon to another city so I'm saving up money to cut my apartment lease and the moving expenses. But it looks like that's what my next course of action will be.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
My apologies...
Purchase a high speed cutting tool that can run off electricity or a pneumatic operated unit. Next use cardboard and create a template over the area of the intake that is hitting the hood. Carefully trace the outline of the cardboard template to the intake. Next get out your high speed cutting tool and cut along the lines you traced from the template. Go slowly so you dont knick anything. Next go to home depot and purchase professional grade hvac duct tape. Carefully cut the tape into exactly 11" strips and begin layering them over the hole you cut in the intake. You want to make sure you get everything airtight because you dont want unmetered air entering the engine after the maf. Just take your time and you wont have any problems.

:-)

Seriously, it hits. So what do you expect people to come up with to fix it? I get you're looking for help but the best answer so far is "remove it, it doesn't have any gains anyways". Hate to say it like that but it's up to your imagination to make it work if you want to run it.
I have plenty of tools to do that already but like I said I never mentioned hacking anything up. And no I'm not asking for someone to wave a magic wand. Again, my questions are, is there any thinner lid? Will an SS hood fit with this? Or will I HAVE to go aftermarket hood. D@mn that doesn't seem to hard to comprehend to me.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this! These cars have been out for 2 decades! And lots of creative people have made all kinds of write ups on here about trying parts from other cars. I was asking if someone has seen any threads about this previously or have done it themselves! Not guesswork, not magic, nothing else. It's pretty simple.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
The WS6 lower air box looks nice. I have one on my base model Trans Am with the stock OEM Trans Am hood. Back in 1999-2000 after swapping on the lower WS6 air box - it was worth NOTHING in seat ofxthese pantsxor on the dyno with an excellent after market lid. It did add some intake noise.

In fact for best results with an aftermarket ram air kit like the Fast Toys set up blocking the stock opening is required to pressurize the air box withxthe bottom fed ram air. All are superior to the stock TB sized lids.

In other words, other than more intake air noise the bigger WS6 lower air box doesn't help.

If you want a killer ram set set up contact Hiossilver for his custom made one ir get a super sucker ssra. Next best is Fast Toys kit with one of their 98 or 104 mm lids.

BTW - the big WS6 lower air box and Fast Toys 104 lid will fit under a stock TA hood. I left the WS6 box for the noise
Thank you! Some worthy info! So we now know that a stock T/A hood accommodates more room than a stock Z28 hood. That's unfortunate for my situation but good to know in the future! And seriously thank you for intake suggestions that aren't just a lid and filter. I will look into them. This makes me miss my WS.6. Very nice looking bay as well.

So now that I have some actual alternative intake suggestions the last question is, will this fit under an SS hood, or will it fit under a sunoco curved cowl?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice!

Much bigger opening on the WS6 box than the 01 Camaro SS one.
Would you happen to be able to post a pic of your SS intake opening? With a tape measure would be super helpful if possible.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Would you happen to be able to post a pic of your SS intake opening? With a tape measure would be super helpful if possible.
I'll see what I can do. Exactly what are you needing to see?