LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Videos or reviews on the Texas Speed 3 1/2" catback?? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1921846-videos-reviews-texas-speed-3-1-2-catback.html)

30th t/a 06-19-2019 11:58 AM

Videos or reviews on the Texas Speed 3 1/2" catback??

Looking for Videos or reviews on the Texas Speed 3 1/2" catback. Anyone have anything?

wannafbody 06-19-2019 06:46 PM

The TSP catback sounds good. Some has had issues with the tips sagging a bit.

99Silver6.0 06-20-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by wannafbody (Post 20112317)

Ive seen tips sagging and fitment issues spoken about lately. I really want to try the 3" version of that exhaust but, Im really afraid to buy it.

trilkb 06-20-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by wannafbody (Post 20112317)

From clamps or welds? or weak hangers?

LilJayV10 06-20-2019 02:39 PM

If thats the worst thing you have to worry about when installing a catback consider yourself lucky. There's a pipe....a tip that slides over it and a clamp...

G Atsma 06-20-2019 02:44 PM

It's TUBING. If it doesn't fit right, sawzall cut almost thru, reweld.

trilkb 06-21-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 (Post 20112747)
If thats the worst thing you have to worry about when installing a catback consider yourself lucky. There's a pipe....a tip that slides over it and a clamp...

Its odd, every car that comes of the line used the same part with the same bends, yet with catbacks they say "every car is different" lol....HUH?!?!

G Atsma 06-21-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by trilkb (Post 20113068)
Its odd, every car that comes of the line used the same part with the same bends, yet with catbacks they say "every car is different" lol....HUH?!?!

It's called "production tolerance stackup". Every car IS different.

Full-Force 06-27-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by trilkb (Post 20113068)

Thats why you got a puny size exhaust system from the factory. Leaves plenty of room for 'every car is different'

Utinator 06-27-2019 06:02 PM

I have the 3" version with the cut-out. I heard the 3.5" needed the pan hard bar relocation mount to clear the axle area. I figured the 3" was enough for daily driving. When I'm at the track, I remove the cut-out. The cut-out is at the very front of the cat-back system, so it bypasses everything after the Y-pipe.

My only complaint is that the cat-back "tips" do not come with hangers. I had to take my car to a shop to get the hangers welded on. I also had the shop tack weld the pipes while they were at it. The clamps were letting the pipes rotate a little. That will cause a "sagging" look with the tips, because the muffler doesn't hang level. It's kinda in there at an awkward angle. Over time, the muffler tries to rotate to a level position. The causes one tip to go up, and one to go down. The factory muffler didn't "sag", but it was welded in (by SLP?) .

mjs1012 07-01-2019 02:17 PM

I had the issue of the driver's side tip sagging bad even after adjusting it 4 times. I was able to get it where I wanted after using the frame rail hanger that was on my old magnaflow and making a clamp. I had my buddy tack it in place too.

The TSP system is very nice, but IMO should have more than just 2 hangers.