Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single 3” or 3.5” for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Single 3” or 3.5” for turbo

I’m really considering ordering a varex muffler. I can get it in 3” or 3.5”. For those not familiar, Varex is a dual mode muffler. I can have it quiet or straight through whenever I want. I’ll leave a link below. I’m trying to decide if I should go 3” or 3.5”, the difference in price is the 3” is $269 and the 3.5” is $359.

I have a 7875, the exhaust size is 3” but my down pipe is 3.5” and necks down under the car to a 3” and then branches off to (2) 2.5” pipes. I wanna get rid of that and do a single. I also could run 3.5” to the muffler in the middle of the car and neck it down to 3” right at the muffler. That would save me $90 on the muffler. Maybe lose power tho? What would you do? Another option is run 3.5” all the way and use a quiet muffler. Then do a bypass around the muffler using a cutout to open and close it. The varex is just less work and less complications but I wonder how quiet it really is.

3” muffler
https://www.ebay.com/itm/XForce-Vare...0/333231068036

3.5” muffler
https://www.ebay.com/itm/XForce-Vare...0/392288679706
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I Like quiet muffler at the rear, plus cutout as early as possible near the turbine for max power

That way you can drive it around silent stealth and just listen whenever you want

I would also lean towards the option with max ground clearance, use oval pipe is an option to keep in mind
Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I Like quiet muffler at the rear, plus cutout as early as possible near the turbine for max power

That way you can drive it around silent stealth and just listen whenever you want

I would also lean towards the option with max ground clearance, use oval pipe is an option to keep in mind

I have plenty of room under the car. Ground clearance isn’t an issue.

I dont want a cutout under the car rattling my car apart. I’d rather it run out the back and give up a few horses.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Never run one, but anything with a perf core style muffler will be the least restrictive and allow a deeper tone. No idea what the Varex is but thats an expensive muffler! Doesn't it still need a controller?

That being said, your 3" isn't really an issue, the 3.5" is making up for the smaller DP afterward and helping. I would slap on a 3.5" cutout and then reduce after the cutout into a 3" muffler for quietness. I run a 3" cutout under the pass seat and it doesnt rattle my car at all, sounds amazing cruising on the highway too (below 40mph it can be a bit loud) but mines 3" all the way out the back and with the cutout open the turbo spool whine is insane and power is up big time ( i gain 2psi with the cutout open). I also run a billet 78/75 and it really likes the cutout. I cruise through the 3" catback and when I want more power and noise I flick the switch. I have been up to 15psi on the 3" and its good... you can make big power on 3" single exhaust, since you have 3.5" your even better off. Just neck it down to 3" and slap on a muffler of your choice for cruising sound and have fun with it. I personally try to open the cutout as much as possible bc I like the turbo spool whine but I also know in my neighborhood I dont do that so I close it and the car is dead quiet.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I have plenty of room under the car. Ground clearance isn’t an issue.

I dont want a cutout under the car rattling my car apart. I’d rather it run out the back and give up a few horses.
You can add an exhaust system to the end of a cutout, you know. I am doing this eventually, one side of quiet silence. One side with a traditional V8 muffler goes to the rear after the cutout. Both exit at the rear.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
You can add an exhaust system to the end of a cutout, you know. I am doing this eventually, one side of quiet silence. One side with a traditional V8 muffler goes to the rear after the cutout. Both exit at the rear.

Well I have an 04 which has a single exhaust outlet. Not a bad idea tho.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Well I have an 04 which has a single exhaust outlet. Not a bad idea tho.
My car too has only 1 side. But I won't let that stop me trying some stuff. Maybe it needs to end just before the bumper.
Because of v-bands its easy to make removable sections
The most difficult part IMO is the rubber mounting hangers, supporting the weight of exhaust properly. If you got an easy way to do that, you are done because it can just v-band on and off whenever you want in 5 seconds
And my favorite part is they still flow together. You get both systems to breath from, should be fairly adequate.
Right now when I open cutout, boost goes up due to less exhaust pressure...