Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing power steering pump?

My power steering pump is acting up. Last time this happened I figured it was too many donuts in the parking lot. Well I'm still doin donuts whenever the mood hits me. But the funny thing was after installing my SD Concepts Spring tensioned pully for the Procharger. The first time I set it up and ran it the belt was not on properly aligned and shaved off two ribs. Normally you wouldn't think anything of this but the tension sits right in front of the power steering pully. The first time I heard anything weird was after the new pully setup was installed. I don't think there's anything wrong with the pully itself, but maybe that belt did some damage? No fluid is leaking or anything like that. More than likely it's due to too many donuts, as I tend to do them all the time. Probably just a coincidense.

But what typically goes bad in these pumps? Is it easy to fix? If I even try to get this covered under my extended warrenty they'll just blame it on the blower. So my options are to remove the pump and just see if they'll replace it, or if it's just some seals and something I can replace or fix on my own for cheap maybe that's the best route.

Any advice on fixing the power steering pump would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
Good info in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/195342-power-steering-pump-problems.html
Old 07-27-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful info. Thanks John.

Mike