Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shakes worse than a harley at idle Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car shakes worse than a harley at idle Please help.

It's funny how you go to bed and your pride and joy is fine then you get up and take her to work and she dont wont to go either. When I started my car this morning it acted like it was about to cut right back off. Idle around 500rpm would not accept gas when applying throttle. shaking so bad
like it was about to stall out but never did. eventually after idling at 500rpm it get this sudden burst and shoot up to 2000rpms but immediately go back down tried to drive and it just shakes putters and crawls. eventually it shot back up to 2000rpm so I start reving it at this point I'm able to keep rpms up and so I drive it out out on the back road shes going fine I ran it at about 65 for 20 mins every thing fine. I even stop a couple times and it accels like normal. get home wait 20mins start again problem is back. when I apply a/c idle drops way low as well could this be the IAC motor? P ease Help

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 08-02-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
It's funny how you go to bed and your pride and joy is fine then you get up and take her to work and she dont wont to go either. When I started my car this morning it acted like it was about to cut right back off. Idle around 500rpm would not accept gas when applying throttle. shaking so bad
like it was about to stall out but never did. eventually after idling at 500rpm it get this sudden burst and shoot up to 2000rpms but immediately go back down tried to drive and it just shakes putters and crawls. eventually it shot back up to 2000rpm so I start reving it at this point I'm able to keep rpms up and so I drive it out out on the back road shes going fine I ran it at about 65 for 20 mins every thing fine. I even stop a couple times and it accels like normal. get home wait 20mins start again problem is back. when I apply a/c idle drops way low as well could this be the IAC motor? P ease Help
Possibly your IAC. Has your check engine light come on? It should. COuld be a couple things. Check your plug wires, see if one is loose. It is also pretty possible that you are having a fueling issue by the sound of it. Check and see if your fuel pump is working properly, and/or a clogged fuel filter.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Another_User
Possibly your IAC. Has your check engine light come on? It should. COuld be a couple things. Check your plug wires, see if one is loose. It is also pretty possible that you are having a fueling issue by the sound of it. Check and see if your fuel pump is working properly, and/or a clogged fuel filter.
No check engine light yet
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Whats the best way to check fuel pump?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any recent mods?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
any recent mods?
not in a few months. last thing was tb- bypass everything tight there
I think I might get some carb cleaner and start testing for vac. leaks
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

anymore ideas please anyone, sounds like 1badfnhuggerz and I are in the same boat.
any suggestions would be deeply appreciated
Old 08-02-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine did this a while back when I got a bad batch of gas. I had to heel/toe the thing all the way home. The next morning, it was fine, but I took it to a local dealership anyway (it was still under warranty). Not sure what (if anything) you could do to get the gas out of the system....

-Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Mine did this a while back when I got a bad batch of gas. I had to heel/toe the thing all the way home. The next morning, it was fine, but I took it to a local dealership anyway (it was still under warranty). Not sure what (if anything) you could do to get the gas out of the system....

-Mike
I filled up a full tank on friday didn't notice anything untill this afternoon only half a tank left. It seems like if it was bad gas then it would have done it from the get go.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Check your mass airflow screen there might be somthing obstructing the air flow?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meSSman02
Check your mass airflow screen there might be somthing obstructing the air flow?
10-4 I'll take a look
Old 08-02-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meSSman02
Nope I got the whole air box, lid, and maf in my lap clean as a whistle
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Come to think of it I did eat some taco bell sitting in my car the other day droped a little on the leather. Maybe she does have bad gas, I sure as hell did! Damn Chalupas! At least I still have my sense of houmor after all this, Car is my daily driver though two more days tops w/out it and you probably wont see me this happy
Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm taking my TB to work tomorrow and cleaning all around in the IAC region. Mine has some carbon build up.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Probably not your problem but just a case history. My car once did the very same thing. Turns out that when I let the hood slam shut one day it clipped the fan switch harness on the passenger side shock tower, pushing it out of the weatherpack. Basically doing that killed half the fuel injectors on the motor. I limped over to a dealership, popped the hood, found the problem myself, plugged it back in and no ill effects.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Thunder175
Probably not your problem but just a case history. My car once did the very same thing. Turns out that when I let the hood slam shut one day it clipped the fan switch harness on the passenger side shock tower, pushing it out of the weatherpack. Basically doing that killed half the fuel injectors on the motor. I limped over to a dealership, popped the hood, found the problem myself, plugged it back in and no ill effects.
At least you fixed it yourself. I would be afraid I blew something up. But I still wouldn't have gone to the dealership. But you were probably under warranty....my 98 hasn't known what a warranty was for so long she's forgotten....
Old 08-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Launching!

For the simple things, it sounds like a loose or bad plug cable. Also check your PCV valve too. I had a couple cable plugs that weren't on all the way and the engine was fubbling all over the place like how yours sounds. I also had a PCV valve unplugged and it made the car idle at 2000RPMs.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
For the simple things, it sounds like a loose or bad plug cable. Also check your PCV valve too. I had a couple cable plugs that weren't on all the way and the engine was fubbling all over the place like how yours sounds. I also had a PCV valve unplugged and it made the car idle at 2000RPMs.
Just got home from work and noticed my thread was up. This morn. it finnaly decides to throw a check engine light. So now I can at least find out what sensor it is or what ever. also when the light came on it was flashing does this mean anything different. Then this afternoon the light decides to go off. Also whats weird is when I get up to speed after finagleing w/ the gas it is like there is no prob and runs fine. Speed shop wants 55.00 to hook to scanner, is there any way to check this buy turning ignition on then off then on and reading how many times the light blinks. My dad had a car like that. Is that like an obdI thing.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Just got home from work and noticed my thread was up. This morn. it finnaly decides to throw a check engine light. So now I can at least find out what sensor it is or what ever. also when the light came on it was flashing does this mean anything different. Then this afternoon the light decides to go off. Also whats weird is when I get up to speed after finagleing w/ the gas it is like there is no prob and runs fine. Speed shop wants 55.00 to hook to scanner, is there any way to check this buy turning ignition on then off then on and reading how many times the light blinks. My dad had a car like that. Is that like an obdI thing.
Go to AutoZone, they hook up the OBDII scanner and give you the info from free.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

I have the exact same problem. If any one could help please. I have done Plug wires, fuel filter(2) and many tanks of gas, and a pcv valve.