Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think about true duals turned into side pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you guys think about true duals turned into side pipes?

Hey everyone, Im thinking of going to a true dual setup but want to try something different. I was going to get either a Lanes or TSP true dual set-up that dumps before the rear axle. Then I was thinking of having an exhaust shop weld on some additional exhaust piping so that the exhaust would exit right in front of my rear wheels then I was going to have them weld on some nice oval shaped tips (similar to those on the new Mercedes dual exit exhaust sedans). What do you guys think and is this possible?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about this myself. Once you get the true duals on the car you will see that it is very, very impractical. I have SFC's, and the duals hang lower than these, which means the side pipes would hang even lower. If you've got your stock 4x4 suspension, it might work.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Click this link and scroll down a bit. Nice setup...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=169914&page=2
Old 08-04-2004, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Once you get the true duals on the car you will see that it is very, very impractical.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trans Am WS6 RGS
to you too buddy.

I meant the side pipes may be too low and impractical, not the true duals.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Yea thats exactly what I was thinking of, expect I want to have the side exiting pipe be a little more U-shaped so it would exit slightly angled, kinda like the borlas on a mustang. I was also thinking of using an oval shaped tip like those on new mercedes or maybe a GMMG style oval tip. I have the stock 4x4 setup lol so I think it would work out for me. I just have never seen a camaro or trans am in my area with side-pipes and wanted to give it a try. Looks like a go when I get some $$ though and I will post pictures when I do have it installed.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

If you can do it and get decent clearance.. MORE POWER TO YA..
Old 08-04-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

to you too buddy.

I meant the side pipes may be too low and impractical, not the true duals.

Well thats not what you wrote. And still a big to the side pipes being impractical. If done correctly they wont cause any problems with SFC's or be lower than the rest of the exhaust.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i tried to do this 4 different ways...it simply doesnt work on a daily driver. too much ground clearance is lost. Only one way to do it and that is with boom tubes, and i wouldn't consider those very daily drivable
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

what are boom tubes?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Well thats not what you wrote. And still a big to the side pipes being impractical. If done correctly they wont cause any problems with SFC's or be lower than the rest of the exhaust.
You seem to be the only one having a problem understanding me. I have true duals myself and if I thought they were impractical I'd get rid of them.

Anways, enough of the apparantley Trans Am WS6 can offer no real input on the situation.

This is what I'm thinking since you brought up the idea again. Maybe you can have an elbow bent off of the x-pipe on each side that would allow some chamber mufflers to follow the shape of the SFC's, then another bend at the end of the mufflers followed by some z28 rectangle tips. I figured that if the z28 tips were long enough they would fit nicely under the SFC's and then exit out of the side of the car. Since the tips are only about 1.5 inches in height, they would offer sufficient ground clearance.

Since there are no 90 degree bends with this setup, you shouldn't lose much flow. On the other hand though, I'm not under the car right now, and I don't know if some piping like that would run into anything.

Even though ground effects aren't widely accepted for our cars (on this forum anyway), you could then finish off the look with the side skirts of your choice (as well as front and rear fascias of course) with cutouts for the tips. I think that would look really good and justify the use of ground effects.

All in all, it's a great idea IMO. I'm just too chicken to try it.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:50 AM
8 Second Club

Get real sidepipes man. Then install the mudflaps and louvers, grow out the mullet and rock out to motley cru!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Some pics of a side exit setup I had laying around...

Old 08-05-2004, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like that, any more details on that car and how the exhaust is set up??
Old 08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

zchgla, i wouldn't even worry about finding out what boom tubes are...basically its a nascar exhaust...its loud as ****.

The guy that owned the car above isn't the person posting them i dont think. If i recall, the guy that owns that car removed those but it was an h pipe with sweet chamber mufflers and hooker tips.

I imitated his exact set up. You can do it. and have ok ground clearance. BUT for a daily driver...on normal every day roads, it simply doesn't cut it. unless you are cool with bumping the floor in a little bit.
Btw that set up above sounds sick! REALLY SICK!
T
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do a search for side pipes, i posted pics of rene's (trans am ws6 RGS) true dual side pipes.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Anways, enough of the apparantley Trans Am WS6 can offer no real input on the situation.
What Im having a problem understanding is how or why you say that its impractical.

But you got me. I cant offer any real input on the situation since I dont have experience with a true dual system that exits out the side. Were as you are apparently all knowing and have probably seen several dual set ups and thats why you know that side exiting exhaust is very very impractical. You know that they will hit the subframe connectors and hang real low because youve seen them do so in person right?

Again I must post the because it fits!

Originally Posted by jrp
do a search for side pipes, i posted pics of rene's (trans am ws6 RGS) true dual side pipes.
They dont even have to do a search. All they have to do look at the third post and click on the link that "riddler" provided.

You know whats funny? I've had that set-up for a long as$ time and only taken a few lousy pics. Shoot it was only after the cam install a few months back that I finally made a sould clip of it.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

What Im having a problem understanding is how or why you say that its impractical.
I'm so sorry BIG SHOOTER, I didn't know it was a crime to have an opinion.

But you got me. I cant offer any real input on the situation since I dont have experience with a true dual system that exits out the side. Were as you are apparently all knowing and have probably seen several dual set ups and thats why you know that side exiting exhaust is very very impractical. You know that they will hit the subframe connectors and hang real low because youve seen them do so in person right?
Wow, did anybody else gather this information from my posts. I never said the tips would hit the subframe connectors. I never claimed to be all knowing nor have I ever claimed to have seen tons of true dual set-ups (in fact I've only seen one: mine). I did say they would hang lower than the subframe connectors. Do I have to prove this?

Damn, don't get your panties in a bunch. I was under the impression that the guy wanted to hear different ideas and everyones input, that's why he posted. There is no reason for you to be so rude. Chill.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

It’s one thing to state an opinion. Its another to try to pass it off as fact. Talk about backpedaling.

You stated that it would hang too low and that that it would be "very very " impractical.. To me that’s more of a statement than an opinion.

Of course they are going to be lower than the sfcs. Even the stock exhaust would be lower than sfcs but that doesn’t make it impractical. My sfcs are tucked up neatly that you can’t see them unless you are actually looking from practically underneath the car.

You spew off info as if you know first hand trying to make this guy believe that his idea wont work yet you’ve only seen one true dual set-up and it isn’t like what he proposes to do. If you don’t know for a fact then say "IMO I think the pipes will be to low or make your set up impractical." Don’t try to discourage him from doing it simply because you’ve heard this or that from others who are did the same thing as you, repeating second hand info.

I had several people make comments like yours when I first thought about doing my set-up. The said "It wont work!!" "You'll never be able to use SFCs with your set-up. "It won’t look good" "It will sound like crap" so on and so on. And you know what? They were wrong and so are you.

Some set-ups hang low while other hang at the same height as stock. Its all a matter of how well the exhaust was made.

You asked what I was having a problem understanding. I told you and you wrote back with your little “shooter” comment. Hmmm who here has their panties in a bunch. I fail to see where as I rude. If you can’t handle having someone question where you get your info from then that’s not my problem.

So to sum every thing up… Yes you can have your exhaust exit out the side, no it won’t hit the SFCs (If it’s done properly and no having the pipes exit out the side isn’t impractical. I say this as facts because I have actual experience with an exhaust exiting out the side. Its not a set-up for everyone but it’s definetly one I (and others who’ve seen it) like.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

yea I have contemplated the ground clearance issue but I dont plan on lowering my car so it shouldnt be too bad and seeing that Trans AM WS6 RSG has them with SLP longtubes, the ones with supposedly the least clearance of all longtubes, makes most of my worries about LT's and side-exiting true duals go away. I really like your setup and it looks badass. Out of curiosity how much, on top of the true duals, did it cost you to have it exit out the side? I was thinking of picking up some lanes true duals then have a shop fab up the rest. Or should I have the entire system made by a custom shop? Thnaks for the replies and opinions everyone.