Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley is causing my car to throw belts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley is causing my car to throw belts...

The AC belt had broken a week ago so I stopped by autozone and picked up 2 new belts. I have an ASP crank pulley and have had no problems with it for about 3 years. I called MTI to get the correct part numbers for the belts to make sure that I bought the right pieces.

When I installed the 2 belts I noticed that the ASP crank pulley outer section was pushed inwards towards the block about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch from the inner section and therefore the belts wouldn't align properly. The accessory belt (or whatever you want to call it...the longer of the two) was rubbing on the lower left (if facing the front of the motor) AC pulley and therefore getting thrown off anytime I started the motor. My concern is the crank pulley. For some reason it looks like the outer section has ridden inwards towards the block which is causing the misalignment of the belts.

Do you think I can simply buy a stock crank pulley (I lost mine in a move a while back...I move each year during college it seems), stock harmonic balancer bolt, some stock belts and install the parts or do you think the ASP crank pulley could have caused further damage? Where's the best place to buy a new/used/cheap stock crank pulley? Is it possible to drive the car at all so I can get it back to my house without any belts? It's currently sitting in a parking lot on the side of the road about 3 miles from my apartment.

Thanks a lot for the help. I can't afford a hell of a lot on a college student's budget so any low cost options would be great.

-------
1999 Trans AM M6
12.62@112.45
4.10s, mti lid, slp catback, nittos, asp crank pulley, pro 5.0 shifter
Old 08-09-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

It shouldn't have caused any problems. If the ASP pulley has actually "broken", get ahold of ASP directly and see if they will replace it. I had one on for about 3 years also and never had a problem (it's now on another guys car and working fine).
Old 08-09-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the pulley isn't backing off?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Honestly, I don't know. I used to be fanatical about my Trans Ams, but with college and the debt from the Moser 12 bolt, multiple clutches, headers, various rim combos, slicks, 5 sets of broken 10 bolt gears, etc I got out of the car game several years ago and I'm rusty as hell with my knowledge.

When you're looking at the various pullies you can clearly see that the threaded sections on the crank pulley do not line up with the other ones. The belts clearly angle toward the motor at the crank pulley when I have them installed and it's obviously not aligned correctly. The fact that the lower left AC pully is directly in the way of the belt only confirms this. If you look at the diagram under the hood of the belt routes then you'll see that this belt is supposed to pass in front of this specific pulley. Mine wants to travel through it which clearly shows that the crank pulley is forcing the belt back towards the engine more than it needs to be.

The pulley itself looks out of wack also. The silver colored inner section is protruding a good 1/4" to 1/2" out of the black, grooved, outer portion. It's like the outer section has seperated a bit from the inner and pushed itself towards the engine block. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but my first thought was of a trashed crank/bearings. I can replace the pulley, but I certainly can't afford to go into the engine.

Also, is the car at all drivable with no belts on it and does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

Luckily, my sister just bought a new car and I'm going to be able to go pick up her old one to drive around until I get this sorted out.