Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP 2OTL vs. SLP Dual Dual - is the 2OTL that much louder at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:23 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SLP 2OTL vs. SLP Dual Dual - is the 2OTL that much louder at idle?

I have to ditch my X and go back to Y (for real this time- moving to noise ordinance neigborhood, plus I bottom out at the end of my new driveway where it meets the road).
I've always liked the 2OTL, but I know the D/D is THE quietest free flowing catback out there.
I need quiet (dual elec. cutout Y will take care of loud).
Can I get by with the 2OTL with no cats?
Logic dictates D/D. I want the 2OTL.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, my best guess would be that the 2OTL is going to be more noise than you can get away with, especially since you have no cats.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:48 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Yeah, I know.
Anyone been able to compare the two back to back?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

2OTL will be way better than Dual Dual although it might be a little louder. But then again Dual Dual is quiet like no other.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2OTL with no cats has a loud bark. It's not too loud at idle and low speeds, but with a little gas applied it gets rowdy, quick.

I'm a huge Dual/Dual fan now. Make a considerable difference in my car and it wasn't terribly loud before.

If your looking for something in between noise level, don't rule out the Hooker.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
2OTL with no cats has a loud bark. It's not too loud at idle and low speeds, but with a little gas applied it gets rowdy, quick.

I'm a huge Dual/Dual fan now. Make a considerable difference in my car and it wasn't terribly loud before.

If your looking for something in between noise level, don't rule out the Hooker.
Hooker's in my back pocket, no doubt.
I'm looking to go stainless though.

The critical "quietness" I need is at idle/startup, as I roll out of my driveway.
Part throttle and WOT can have bite.

My X-pipe setup is rather loud at idle (and that's that I've quieted it down). It rocks the neighborhood. My current neighboors are fine with it, but I doubt my snooty new neighboors will be tolerant.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,262 Posts

SouthFL02SS, I remember replying to a thread like this of yours about a year ago. Guess what? I'm gonna give you the same reply! J/K!!!

I've had 'em both (without cats), dual/dual is totally quiet under basically all conditions. I much prefer the 2OTL sound, nice deep idle with only some minor noise (more than dual/dual though) and quite a bit louder at WOT than dual/dual. I only ditched my 2OTL because, well frankly it looks like *** on a T/A rear bumper. Camaro, Formula, it looks great (IMO), but not a T/A.

Also since this car is not a daily driver I decided I wanted something louder for fun. But I did love my 2OTL system, it's perfect for a daily driver without cats.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:37 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

RPM, I remember your post. Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

See my sig, I have the 2OTL w/ SLP LT and cats. At idle it has some tone but it is not loud (definately louder than stock). You can idle or soft shoe through a neighborhood with out any problem. At partial throttle is sounds sweet but it is not excessively loud. At WOT it is loud and it will get attention.

It is never raspy, but I do have cats.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

**** 'Em. Keep the duals.

For real tho, I'd go with the D/D, and get the electric cutouts. That way, if they're as bitchfaced as you are describing, they can't start ****. And when they get rowdy with ya, open her up and growl.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:49 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Thanks guys. I purchased the 2OTL from TSP today. It will hook up to a QTP Dual Elec. Y and some new QTP High Velocity Merge Collector LT's that I just purchased.
I'm redoing most my bolt ons- intake and exhaust (got a FAST 90mm LSX), thanks to my new house .
Old 09-01-2004, 05:53 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
**** 'Em. Keep the duals.

For real tho, I'd go with the D/D, and get the electric cutouts. That way, if they're as bitchfaced as you are describing, they can't start ****. And when they get rowdy with ya, open her up and growl.
I can't get up my drive way with the duals! (and low hanging SLP LT's that I have on right now)
Old 09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know what you mean tho. When I lived up in NY(WAAAAAAAAY back in the day, '97 and prior), I lived at a house where the driveway was 130ft long, and snaked up a hill. Getting on the driveway from the road would have made true duals and dropping my car a no go. I moved to Texas right before I started high school, so I wasn't even driving then, didn't matter. Texas is flat.....I just have to worry about potholes and speed bumps.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
I know what you mean tho. When I lived up in NY(WAAAAAAAAY back in the day, '97 and prior), I lived at a house where the driveway was 130ft long, and snaked up a hill. Getting on the driveway from the road would have made true duals and dropping my car a no go. I moved to Texas right before I started high school, so I wasn't even driving then, didn't matter. Texas is flat.....I just have to worry about potholes and speed bumps.
You can't get flatter than Miami- it's just a sharp incline in the easement between the street and the sidewalk that makes the car bottom out. I get around town fine, though large speedbumps are not passable- I've had to pull an Austin Powers/ golf cart thing a few times to get out of parking garages with large speed bumps.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be more than happy to take the duals of your hand
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
I would be more than happy to take the duals of your hand
Already got a buyer, but thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can barely even tell an LS1 F-body is ON when fully-warmed up at idle with the SLP Dual/Dual! And trust me, it ain't much louder at idle on a car with headers, no cats, and heads/cam work.

SLP 2OTL will be a little louder at idle, but not real noticeable to the average person IMO (unless you have a lumpy cam in there)...

Mike
Old 09-01-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Already got a buyer, but thanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn carlos, that sucks.. i would have bought it off you if you would have decided earlier.. damn it. and you will be selling the ls6 intake as well since u got a lsx..wow..well, i guess i should be happy i got hooker long tubes since those dont scrape anything. is there anything you will be selling that i am not aware of?? may be your 9inch diff?? lol.. let me know if you got anything else you might wanna sell, i am not only your closest buyer, but we also know each other..sorry to let that mean dual exhaust go. i wonder why mine doesnt scrape at all?? i mean i go over alot of bumps and i hardly scrape anything and remember that i have 15inch weld drag lites on my car which makes it even lower. i think it has to do with the fact that you have those slp headers so these guys had to have your dual set up hang lower on your car.
pm me if you are thinking of selllling anything else man. thanks alot
Old 09-02-2004, 06:06 AM
TECH Regular

I got the dual/dual, very nice, I love it. The system is quiet and flows very well. I only lost 6hp with cutout closed.all above 4500rpm,

Quick Reply: SLP 2OTL vs. SLP Dual Dual - is the 2OTL that much louder at idle?