Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering vibration and noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering vibration and noise?

My wife drove the car about 5 miles with out fluid on her way home from work.The pump had a loose nut where it attaches to the center link.I don't know how it came loose?I fixed the leak and filled it back up.Now when the car is sitting still or slowly rolling when I turn the wheel back and forth there is a vibration and some noise.the noise isn't from the pump it's not a squeal,It's seems to be from the center link.do these systems need to be bleed?How does the steering work.Iv'e never had a center link like this before?Could the pump have been damaged because of low fluid.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have fried the rack and pinion..

If you don't know alot about them.. I'd have it checked by a professional.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After servicing a power steering system, it's necessary to purge the air out of the system. After it's been pre-bled, idle the engine to bring the fluid to operating temperature. Add fluid until you hit the 'full' line on the cap. With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel lock to lock 10-15 times. Don't turn it too quickly or hold it in the lock position for more than a few seconds. Again, fill the power steering pump to the full line. Check the color of the fluid. If it's tan, foamy or cloudy, there's still air in the system. If this is the case, just let the car sit a while-maybe 30 minutes, and do it all again. It may take a couple times to get it right, but that is the proper procedure. If it continues to shudder after it's bled, check the color of the fluid again, you probably have another leak somewhere else. The racks aren't easily damaged, so chances are, you just need a good bleed.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Teching In

What do you mean by pre-bled?Do I have to do a peo purge before I turn steering wheel from lock to lock?I appriciate to info .
Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just turn the wheel lock to lock 10-15 times before starting the engine and the process.