Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on FIPK and Volant kits???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on FIPK and Volant kits???

ive had my ftra/lid setup for a while now, and i just dont get a tight seal with the lid, so im thinking of changing up and trying one of these two cold air kits. the only thing is, i have a z28 and i wasnt sure they still worked well with a stock hood. can i please hear some opinions on these from people, especially those with non ram-air hoods?? thanks a lot fellas!!! oh by the way, im in the middle of doing my head/cam/pulley/exhaust install so when i get my car tuned after that, i would like to have everything that i will be running already on the car so i can have it tuned exactly for my application with the mods i have at the time of tuning.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

They do fit a stock hood. I would feep the lid and the FTRA.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

it doesnt seal right tho. i got leaks all around the lid. with my stock hood, where will the fipk pull air from?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by The35thZ
it doesnt seal right tho. i got leaks all around the lid. with my stock hood, where will the fipk pull air from?
Are you using a K&N filter? They don't always fit right in with the lid (gasket or no gasket, this might be your issue). If you have leaks around the lid using a non-K&N air filter, than either that particular lid is bad or it is installed incorrectly.

MANY people use these lids without leakage. IMO, it's a waste of money to go from a lid setup to a FIPK.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

id like to know where the fipk pulls air from. does it just take in hot air from underneath the hood?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:02 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The35thZ
id like to know where the fipk pulls air from. does it just take in hot air from underneath the hood?
FIPK just sucks in air from under the hood. The volant setup has a box that seals to the hood so it pulls cold air from the front of the car instead of the hot air in the engine bay.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

So could I get a vloant kit and cut the bottom of the box out and install a cols air duct????

No one ever answers this Q....Please.

Also the top of the Vloant box sells to the hood and the front of the box is open right??
Old 02-12-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
FIPK just sucks in air from under the hood. The volant setup has a box that seals to the hood so it pulls cold air from the front of the car instead of the hot air in the engine bay.
hey tim, where exactly does trhe volant pull air from? with my ftra kit, i had to seal off the front of my air box. will i take this seal off if i get the volant...or does the volant even pick up air thru that little gap that the stock lid picked up air from? i have a stock z28 hood, so will the volant be able to pick up good cold air since i dont have an ss hood with the openings?