Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Air vs WS6 Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam Air vs WS6 Ram Air

Ok i have had an on going discussion with a friend of mine on this and our view differ quite a bit. I think that the Vararam air system for the corvette works better and creates more power than the WS6 type of ram air. My reasoning is that the vararam air system is pressurized air and is more of a forced air, and it lets in mroe air also. He says that WS6 style is a straight shot, so its better. A good example for my point is that if you take a hose and turn the water on, it flows free, but slowly. But then you stick your finger on the tip and it squirts at a much higher velocity and in effect almost become forced(air/water). And because vararam holds more air in it, it also has the same amount of volume. Does anybody have any opinions on this, or actual facts.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
Ok i have had an on going discussion with a friend of mine on this and our view differ quite a bit. I think that the Vararam air system for the corvette works better and creates more power than the WS6 type of ram air. My reasoning is that the vararam air system is pressurized air and is more of a forced air, and it lets in mroe air also. He says that WS6 style is a straight shot, so its better. A good example for my point is that if you take a hose and turn the water on, it flows free, but slowly. But then you stick your finger on the tip and it squirts at a much higher velocity and in effect almost become forced(air/water). And because vararam holds more air in it, it also has the same amount of volume. Does anybody have any opinions on this, or actual facts.
A straight shot? Well, sort of, lol. Get the BG Ram Air and it is.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, we will even count it with the BG ram air, i was gonna bring that up, because ive been thinking of getting it lately. But i still see the vararam as working better and making more power.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

More air moving slow is better than less air moving faster. that is why boost isn't necessarily good measuring stick of performance, either. You could have identical superchargers with the same size pulley on different cars. lets say one car has stock heads and no cam while the other has ported and polished heads and a cam. the stock car will make more boost say 9 psi while the cammed car will only have 6 psi but make more horsepower. The modded car is able to use more of the air the supercharger is putting out where as the stock car isn't.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good example for my point is that if you take a hose and turn the water on, it flows free, but slowly. But then you stick your finger on the tip and it squirts at a much higher velocity and in effect almost become forced(air/water).
no actual facts but think of it this way...the free flowing water (without finger) is flowing more Gallons/hr than the one with a higher velocity (finger over hole) just cause it comes out slower doesn't mean it's not moving more water (or air)...boost is also not good measuring in psi...20 psi on a 305ci motor is no where near 20 psi on a 427...just food for thought...another common example i guess would be exhaust...a 3" pipe will move far more air than a 2" one...but the 2" will have a much higher velocity...but the 3" will make more power, typically...
Old 02-19-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

What if its the same amount of air going into the intake. The vararam air system has bigger entry points and has a larger volume of air. Just with the WS6 the air is right there when it enters. So if its the same amount let in, wouldnt the one being forced in harder make more power, because the engine will take more of the air. They both still come down to the choke point of the MAF, but the vararam is sending pressurized air into the MAF. Where as the WS6 is sending in slower freeflowing air. My point is that the vararam air is more condensed as it goes in, but they should both move the same amount of volume. Just one is more condensed and the other isnt.

Quick Reply: Vararam Air vs WS6 Ram Air