Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A week after ASP installl

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry ::::::HELLLLP::::::::::A week after ASP installl

About a week ago got my crank pulley installed and it was running sick. Now when iv went to start it the past few days, i just get click click click, put on the jumper and it jumps right up. When im driving its never died, never surges it drives normal. But it wont start????

When im idling in traffic it dips below the 13 mark on the voltage meter, but while driving it sits on 13 (the middle) and sometimes higher.

What do i do? Underdrive/Overdrive alt pulley? Better battery (ac delco stocker)??

Im puzzled??

Last edited by LS1ownzYOU; 04-03-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

I cant figure out what the problem can be!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Most likely a bad battery or connection at the battery since you can jump start it and it stays running. As far as the volt gauge it is normal to go below 13 volts with the underdrive pulley and i have never had a starting problem because of this.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Starting problems suck. I've had a problem with mine since october of last year and I STILL don't know what's wrong. My alternator needed replacing, I got that fixed at least. I also got a new battery. It works better now but I still have problems sometimes.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Maniac
Starting problems suck. I've had a problem with mine since october of last year and I STILL don't know what's wrong. My alternator needed replacing, I got that fixed at least. I also got a new battery. It works better now but I still have problems sometimes.
Yeah IDK wut the **** it could be. It runs fine, and drives fine, everything is fine. But the past couple days when i went to start it, i get the infamous CLICK CLICK CLICK. GO get my power supply jumper, hook it up, turn the key, BAM starts no problem.

So what should I do? Get one of the alt pullies? Upgraded Battery?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
Most likely a bad battery or connection at the battery since you can jump start it and it stays running. As far as the volt gauge it is normal to go below 13 volts with the underdrive pulley and i have never had a starting problem because of this.

Where would the bad connection be?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Get your alternator checked at advance or autozone or oreily's etc. Make sure it's charging ok. There are several sensors that can cause problems starting. I think the Cam Position Sensor and some sort of oil sensor or crank position sensor can cause problems too. So many freaking sensors, it can make you want to cry at times.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Maniac
Get your alternator checked at advance or autozone or oreily's etc. Make sure it's charging ok. There are several sensors that can cause problems starting. I think the Cam Position Sensor and some sort of oil sensor or crank position sensor can cause problems too. So many freaking sensors, it can make you want to cry at times.
Well im gonna get my oil changed at the dealership some point this week so ill ask em to check it out.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Let us know what they say. I'm interested to know myself, maybe they'll tell you something I haven't tried yet.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

did you get the right size belt? If the belt isnt seated well on the alternator pulley and is slipping a bit will cause a week charge (thus your volt meter being low) and wont charge the battery enough for restarts. Had it happen to a friends car.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nikon1999
did you get the right size belt? If the belt isnt seated well on the alternator pulley and is slipping a bit will cause a week charge (thus your volt meter being low) and wont charge the battery enough for restarts. Had it happen to a friends car.
K040378 and K060760

Two gates belts on my car right now. I have just the Crank pulley. Part numbers the paper in the box said to use.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Those the rite ones?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

my moms 02 v6 did the same thing turned out to be a battery. was the SAME exact problem that you are having, another symptom that she had that set me off was the fact that while driving her factory sound system had horrible engine whine. see if yours does, turn the volume down and see if you can hear your engine rev in the speakers.

Either way that was my experience, changed the battery and all is well since.

Louie
Old 04-03-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While your car is in getting the oil changed, get them to test the battery.They have a "load tester' to simulate a drain on the system.$.02
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by half-n-half
my moms 02 v6 did the same thing turned out to be a battery. was the SAME exact problem that you are having, another symptom that she had that set me off was the fact that while driving her factory sound system had horrible engine whine. see if yours does, turn the volume down and see if you can hear your engine rev in the speakers.

Either way that was my experience, changed the battery and all is well since.

Louie
On my battery tester is showing full charge.... But wut do you mean hear the engine rev? Ill try that, and well see. If it comes down to it, what a good battery besides the delco for a reasonable price?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 87gnx
While your car is in getting the oil changed, get them to test the battery.They have a "load tester' to simulate a drain on the system.$.02

Thanks ill do that, this is making me mad, now my dads gonna start bitching at me cus hes gonna say the crank pulley is ******* up the car.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the money I like the Die Hard Gold 72 MONTH WARR. But if your in school i know your buget may be limited (mine sure was).If money isn't a problem(tax return, found a wallet at the car wash etc...) I'd go with the Optima red top JMHO; FWIW.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 87gnx
For the money I like the Die Hard Gold 72 MONTH WARR. But if your in school i know your buget may be limited (mine sure was).If money isn't a problem(tax return, found a wallet at the car wash etc...) I'd go with the Optima red top JMHO; FWIW.

Where do you get ethier, and how much is an optima red top or die hard? Thanks bro, i really appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did the dealer say? A couple years ago I had the same problem. It wasn't after any mods though. I carried a portable jumper around with me because it would die if I didn't start it on a daily basis. Then it got to the point that it would die after sitting overnight. When it was at the dealer they told me that it was because my SLP fan switch was bad and was draining the battery. They disconnected it, charged the battery and told me that it would be fine. A week later the battery started going dead on me again. I took it to autozone and they said the battery was shot. In fact it wouldn't even start in the autozone lot. I bought a nice new battery and it has started perfectly every time since then. This was over a year ago, and I reconnected the fan switch when I put the new battery in. In short: DO NOT EVER TRUST A DEALER. Taht is, unless you have good reason to. I refuse to ever go to a dealer again. They screwed up three times already.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
What did the dealer say? A couple years ago I had the same problem. It wasn't after any mods though. I carried a portable jumper around with me because it would die if I didn't start it on a daily basis. Then it got to the point that it would die after sitting overnight. When it was at the dealer they told me that it was because my SLP fan switch was bad and was draining the battery. They disconnected it, charged the battery and told me that it would be fine. A week later the battery started going dead on me again. I took it to autozone and they said the battery was shot. In fact it wouldn't even start in the autozone lot. I bought a nice new battery and it has started perfectly every time since then. This was over a year ago, and I reconnected the fan switch when I put the new battery in. In short: DO NOT EVER TRUST A DEALER. Taht is, unless you have good reason to. I refuse to ever go to a dealer again. They screwed up three times already.
Well i can go to autozone and ask them... Dont care where it is, I just want it fixed.