Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS fluid change - now looks like coffee?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PS fluid change - now looks like coffee?

So about a month ago I drained my PS fluid and refilled it with Royal Purple.

Lately it's been whining a little bit, so I checked the level (thinking it was low). It wasn't low, but the color was pretty much exactly like coffee with a few things of cream in it.

*boggle*

Any ideas what that means? I wonder if it's aerating somehow. Or is that normal?

Dope
Old 04-23-2005, 04:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt

Dope
Old 04-23-2005, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh...that's not good! Without looking at it sounds like air or water in there???? Change the fluid using just dexron (no sense spending the extra bucks until you get it figured out) and check carefully for any leaks. You may have to change it a couple times to get it clear. Turn the wheel lock to lock slowly to circulate the fluid through the whole rack if it starts to whine stop and wait a few seconds so you don't create air bubbles.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the stock PS cooler that runs to the radiator line ? It's not uncommon for coolant to get pushed into the PS cooler if the cooler goes bad...

Might also want to check your coolant as well just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,
Bad30th
Old 04-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same exact problem. Fix it fast. Don't wait. From the power steering resevoir runs a line to the coolant hose coming out of the radiator. The power steering fluid was being mixed with the coolant. Power steering fluid went throughout my coolant system. NOt good. I flushed it out a couple of times and just deleted the line that ran to the cooler type of deal that was connected to the hose. I haven't had any problems running it like this. The power steering fluid hasn't had any issues with getting to hot. I'm probably going to go to auto zone or something cause they sell little coolers. This is just what happened to me. May not be problem but what you describe is exactly what I had happen.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm interesting.

Took a closer look at it today. Like I said, I had recently swapped the fluid for some Royal Purple. I had disconnected the line on the driver's side of the reservoir to drain the system. Well it looks like that crappy GM hose clamp wasn't enough because it was now leaking there. Drained the fluid again, put a real hose clamp on it and now it's not leaking. Will see how the fluid looks after I drive it a bit.

Car has 80k miles/7 years on it, coolant looks pretty thick and opaque but has for a while due to its age. That's on the list of things to be changed soon too. Weather just has been sucking ***.

Dope

Search this Thread