Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust is more important than I knew, lost 85hp from exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust is more important than I knew, lost 85hp from exhaust!

Well, I was down about 75 to 85 HP at least (same dyno, different days). Possibly a little more than that. I thought all kinds of problems were to blame. My transmission went out at the same time as my problems started so I thought that was the only thing to blame. A re-built,beefed up, 4000 stall'd tranny later and I am at the track running 8.8 @ 76 mph with a 1.9 60' (I normally run an 8.0 @ 86-87). Hmmm, I think, the tranny is good so maybe the motor is going out What didn't dawn on me however, was the fact that right before all of my problems started I had hit a bump and broke my muffler off. So to save on weight I had a bullet muffler installed with a turn-down right before my rear. My tranny was bad at the time so I blamed all my woes on that.I had to get the car to 2,000 RPM's before it would move. Well, after struggling to figure out how my motor could be running perfectly (according to the dyno and A-tap) while only putting out like 225hp, I was about ready to sell the car. To make a long story short, when I went to The Muffler Shop (on Remount RD for you Chas, SC guys) to put on the bullet muffler, I trusted them. I told them that I needed a high-flow 3" bullet muffler. What they put on (I dropped the car off and went to dinner) can only be described as a restrictor plate, maybe like they use in NASCAR. I asked for a STRAIGHT THROUGH 3" BULLET MUFFLER. Check out what they put on my car.If you're looking at that saying "man, that's small". Then you would be correct. It is about 3/4 of an inch around! Kudos to my wife Kris for pointing out that the muffler should be checked as a source of the problem. Today I went to a new muffler place and they pointed out something to me that I never noticed. When I installed my MAC headers about 2 years ago, I didn't get as big of a gain in HP as I was expecting. I put the headers on and drove to The Muffler Shop (only one I knew of at the time) to have a Y pipe made. Well, it was pointed out to me today why one of my banks runs a little rich and the other runs a little lean (a problem I have been dealing with for a while). When the idiots at the shop built my Y-pipe, they screwed up ROYALLY! A Y pipe is supposed to look like this "Y" notice how the two pipes smoothly go into one, keeping everything equal and flowing in the same direction?Well, mine looks like this pic below. Forgive me for my no-paint skills! LOL, but see how the drivers side bank is sending exhaust flow up towards the motor on the passenger side? So now I have to save up for a new Y-pipe..... Thanks to Kris again for the advice and the guys at Carolina Muffler and Brake for the expert advice. And if anyone needs exhaust work, STAY AWAY FROM THE MUFFLER SHOP on Remount Road in Charleston,SC!
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust is more important than I knew, lost 85hp from exhaust!-dsc04143.jpg   Exhaust is more important than I knew, lost 85hp from exhaust!-dsc04140.jpg   Exhaust is more important than I knew, lost 85hp from exhaust!-dsc04138.jpg   Exhaust is more important than I knew, lost 85hp from exhaust!-untitled.jpg  
Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

You can now buy this wonderful piece of art!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7974450585
Old 05-12-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Man. I am laughing so hard. Not at the way you were screwed, but the retard that asked if you have 2 of them on ebay. Also someone even bid on it.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

wow what a bunch of ********. glad you got it sorted out. Have you made any passes since the fix? I bet you'll be real happy now.

Brad
Old 05-17-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, you can sell anything on Ebay. Love the description.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

That is the biggest ******* piece of **** excuse for an exhaust i have EVER seen.

What were they thinking? I have never seen a bullet muffler with something like that in the middle, offset too.

That shop sucks monkey *********....give em a link to this thread

Glad you found your problem but you didnt look at their work before you left the shop
Old 05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy **** , what are u going to say to the muffler shop
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Sent you an ebay question...
Old 05-17-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is one retarded ***-tacular y-pipe. What the hell were they thinking? The bullet... that's just beyond comprehension. Only thing that makes even a little sense is the guy doing the work was some import fan that did all this to intentionally **** you over. That, or that shop regularly hires complete waterheads.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have any sound clips?

Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rotwiler
Man. I am laughing so hard. Not at the way you were screwed, but the retard that asked if you have 2 of them on ebay. Also someone even bid on it.
That is classic!!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what to say
Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by custom 68
do you have any sound clips?

Just go play trumpet through a McDonald's straw, that should be close !

Bad30th
Old 05-26-2005, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry it took so long to reply. The car is definately back again as far as power goes.The only downside is the sound. With a straight pipe, the car sounds pretty bad, but drives great (I can bark in 3rd again with my 4000 stall ) The shop has refused any responsibility but we are still working the issue. A friend of mine came over and we got to looking into it more and not only was the pipe 3/4" in diameter inside the muffler, there is a baffle in the middle that looks sort of like this -----////------. I really don't know how my car even moved. I didn't know what was wrong,I only knew that the car was struggling to get above 5200 RPM's. Since I couldn't get any higher than that, the car wouldn't shift either. So now a LOT of my problems are solved (except my leaky radiator) and the car runs great. I am putting true duals on next month and that will fix the Y-pipe issue. I did look at the exhaust before I left the shop but from the outside, the bullet muffler looks like a 3" straight through muffler. I didn't even pay attention to the Y-pipe until it was pointed out to me! LOL, I need to learn to weld so I don't have to trust anyone to do any work for me anymore!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, funny ****. Glad your car's straight now.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no way that shop shouldn't refund your $. That's BS.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

i cant believe someone actually bought that
Old 05-29-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rotwiler
LOL!!!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nikkev
Well, I was down about 75 to 85 HP at least (same dyno, different days). Possibly a little more than that. I thought all kinds of problems were to blame. My transmission went out at the same time as my problems started so I thought that was the only thing to blame. A re-built,beefed up, 4000 stall'd tranny later and I am at the track running 8.8 @ 76 mph with a 1.9 60' (I normally run an 8.0 @ 86-87). Hmmm, I think, the tranny is good so maybe the motor is going out What didn't dawn on me however, was the fact that right before all of my problems started I had hit a bump and broke my muffler off. So to save on weight I had a bullet muffler installed with a turn-down right before my rear. My tranny was bad at the time so I blamed all my woes on that.I had to get the car to 2,000 RPM's before it would move. Well, after struggling to figure out how my motor could be running perfectly (according to the dyno and A-tap) while only putting out like 225hp, I was about ready to sell the car. To make a long story short, when I went to The Muffler Shop (on Remount RD for you Chas, SC guys) to put on the bullet muffler, I trusted them. I told them that I needed a high-flow 3" bullet muffler. What they put on (I dropped the car off and went to dinner) can only be described as a restrictor plate, maybe like they use in NASCAR. I asked for a STRAIGHT THROUGH 3" BULLET MUFFLER. Check out what they put on my car.If you're looking at that saying "man, that's small". Then you would be correct. It is about 3/4 of an inch around! Kudos to my wife Kris for pointing out that the muffler should be checked as a source of the problem. Today I went to a new muffler place and they pointed out something to me that I never noticed. When I installed my MAC headers about 2 years ago, I didn't get as big of a gain in HP as I was expecting. I put the headers on and drove to The Muffler Shop (only one I knew of at the time) to have a Y pipe made. Well, it was pointed out to me today why one of my banks runs a little rich and the other runs a little lean (a problem I have been dealing with for a while). When the idiots at the shop built my Y-pipe, they screwed up ROYALLY! A Y pipe is supposed to look like this "Y" notice how the two pipes smoothly go into one, keeping everything equal and flowing in the same direction?Well, mine looks like this pic below. Forgive me for my no-paint skills! LOL, but see how the drivers side bank is sending exhaust flow up towards the motor on the passenger side? So now I have to save up for a new Y-pipe..... Thanks to Kris again for the advice and the guys at Carolina Muffler and Brake for the expert advice. And if anyone needs exhaust work, STAY AWAY FROM THE MUFFLER SHOP on Remount Road in Charleston,SC!
You should have been more clear as to what kind of y pipe you wanted. The just assumed you wanted a cursive y pipe!