Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tell me more about true duals.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tell me more about true duals.

alright. right now i have a 99 z28 with a flowmaster catback and the car has about a two inch drop all around, and needless to say everynow and then i scrap my exhaust. then i saw some pics of true dual setups on this site and everything was all tucked up nice under the car and looked like there was a lot more clearance. pretty much i would like to see some nice under car pics of a nice true dual set up, and i'd like to know what the performance advantage is. so if you got a nice setup, show it off please.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
FormerVendor

If using the proper amount of time to install and adjusting to get the best clearance possible it should hang no less than your average ORY, Jason took some pics of the Texas-Speed & Performance duals under his car and it has great clearance

TSP Duals give you better throttle response, less restriction( 3" mandrel bends), less weight as compared to a catback, and a unmatched sound

You can visit www.LS1sounds.com to listen to some clips
Old 05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

True duals with an X pipe will normally offer a performance advantage over any other set up. The X pipe helps scavenging by allowing one exhaust pulse to help pull the gases out on the next pulse (generically put). Ideally you would want one that came out the back in the normail locactions, but routing two large diameter pipes is a bit more costly. I think Bassani has a true dual kit over the axle. More commonly you will see Texas Speed or Lane's kits that dump at the rear axle. I know Texas Speed had their's on special not too long ago as well at a very reasonable cost. Also in my opinion, it is definitely one of the best sounding setups as well. I know there have been some complaints of a bit more cockpit rattle and noise with these set ups, but usually the "smile" factor has overcome the downside in most instances. Good luck with the choice.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
but usually the "smile" factor has overcome the downside in most instances.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

There was a thread started by I8AFORD on here not long ago showing his results and it looked like a pretty good setup. A bit pricey but if Ihad the money I'd be ordering a set. It also exited out the back and they said it had a lot of ground clearance. That one in particular cleared a pop can by 1/8 of an inch. They said others cleared by more. They went over the axles and the mufflers where between the rear and the bumper.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:08 AM
11 Second Club

My duals were done by speed inc. 3" dumps. Almost the entire system will clear a pop can, roughly. The lowest points under my car are a little less than an upright pop can, they are the driver's side collector and the very beginning of the bullet mufflers.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay...you hit your exhaust every once in a while...where? Do you have headers? You didn't mention that you had them...if you don't, and are scraping your exhaust, don't even think about doing true duals...hell, don't get headers. You'll be dragging that **** everywhere.

My car is lowered 1.5" all around, and I don't drag anything on my duals setup, but then again, it was custom made to really tuck up under my car.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:30 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good Y-pipe with a Flowmaster Scavenger Merge Collector will flow very damn well. QTP and Mufflex are your options, pair either of those Y's (without cutouts) with a free flowing catback like the TSP Rumbler or an SLP 2OTL and you'll have no problems with clearance.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

cool, thanks for the input.