Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think i finally have an exhaust that i like

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think i finally have an exhaust that i like

i'll just try to paste this from my website, hopefully it works.....
I think I finally got a decent looking and sounding exhaust! From the mac off road y-pipe, I have 3" mandrel bent pipe over the axle, into a Dynomax 3" bullet and out the finally 90* through 2 1/2" pipe and a stainless steel tip. The hard part was figuring out how to go from the 3" outlet on the bullet to the 2 1/2"(maybe it's 2 3/4", I can't remember) pipe with the final bend and the tip. I went to a few parts stores and couldn't find a reducer, so I just cut notches in a 3" connecter and rounded it in a bit with a rubber mallet before i welded it to the bullet and the smaller pipe. When I finished, I threw some black heat paint on it and closed the cutouts to fire her up. Obviously it sounds quiet compared to the open cutouts, but so far I like it.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is exactly what I'm thinking about building for my Camaro. How does it sound?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

it sounds pretty mean.....i was afraid i was gonna get a pretty bad drone, but so far so good.......i put it in last night and drove it to work today, but so far it's a little louder than the single in dual out flowmaster, quieter than the glasspack after the y, about the same as the ss single in single out(without the drone though, and that was before headers/ory)...and definetely not as loud as the open cutouts! hopefully i'll get a decent vid soon, my camera doesn't have a good mic, so i'll see if i can borrow one.....
Old 05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
That is exactly what I'm thinking about building for my Camaro. How does it sound?
i don't have a vid yet, but the last two days i've randomly had 4 people from work and one of my neighbors tell me how nice my car sounds.......i can't believe how mellow it is during normal driving........but open it up and
it's a different story......
Old 05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Yep, bullet mufflers are awesome. I'm very happy with my setup.

I put the muffler in the I pipe, and split the tail pipes with a Y over the axle, so that I still have dual exits. I didn't actually weld it, but I was there giving directions to the muffler shop guys
Old 05-19-2005, 12:43 PM
dug
Banned

I have a similar catback. Instead of the bullet it has a big ultraflo muffler, which looks like a bullet internally. Its quiet below 2k and startes to get louder from there. It kinda roars at wot.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much did this set you back? I thought about doing this but wanted to keep the dual outlets for my T/A. Which glasspack did you use and how did it sound?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the dynomax.......they are cheap and are pretty much a straight through shot.....depending on the dia, they are in the 30-40 dollar range.....that does suck with trans ams, you've got the two openings to fill up...but you could do like 25thAnnivTransAm and put the bullet in the i-pipe and get a local shop to fab up the split y dual outlet.....i can't imagine that would cost too much.....
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice deuce-and-a-quarter.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by narcszm
nice deuce-and-a-quarter.
thanks man! i always love to hear from the folks who appreciate the finer things in life, such as a 20ft land yacht with with more sheet metal than a ups truck and 510 lbs of torque under your right foot