LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   T-stat swap problem (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/370293-t-stat-swap-problem.html)

Fbody Man 08-23-2005 10:33 PM

T-stat swap problem

hey guys whats up. Today i put in my 160 t-stat but i made a boo boo :cry:. The directions said to refill the system thru the coolant resevoir, but i did it old school thru the radiator. Now i think i have air in the system can people give suggestions as to what to do :emb: and now coolant fell on my compressor now it makes a scraping sound but when the AC is turned on the sound goes away :bang: what is this about. PLEASE HELP :(

Fbody Man 08-23-2005 11:14 PM

can anybody help come on guys

Crazy Man 08-23-2005 11:28 PM

just let the car idle without the radiator cap on it for about 10 mins eventually all the air should bubble out.. Thats the way ive always filled mine....

Fbody Man 08-23-2005 11:41 PM

what about the compressor

WS6freak 08-24-2005 12:31 AM

Unhook the hose that goes to the throttle body, put a rag underneath it, fill it up through the radiator cap until you see some coolant come out.

Put the cap back, connect the hose and fire it up. Pull the cap off again and let it run for a few minutes and complete the level on the reservoir if needed.

Repeat the process if necessary. It's easy to have all the air out trough the TB hose.

hifi dream 08-24-2005 10:46 AM

I got air in my cooling system when I changed mine too.
Made the mistake of just topping off the radiator and going :(
I don't know why I didn't run the car for a few minutes......too excited about the header install I guess.
Basically what we did was fill up the radiator and "prime" the upper radiator hose until the fluid level went down. Fill, pump, fill, repeat. After we got water in the hose we started the car and when the level dropped again we topped it off. Rev the motor - fluid level drops, fill again - repeat. Once the level was stabilized, we put the cap on and it's been fine since.
Yeah, I'm an idiot.

BubaGumpShrimp 08-24-2005 12:03 PM

do what others side. Open radiator cap, remove tb hose. fill radiator till fluid comes out of the hose. done..

Fbody Man 08-24-2005 10:08 PM

how come my gauge is still at a little past 210 even with a t-stat i have a '00 camaro ss is it the dummy gauge that everyone talks about

98z28chevy 08-25-2005 12:06 AM

I have a question to get a new T-Stat i need a new housing? If so does the 160 t-stat come with new housing?

WS6freak 08-25-2005 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fbody Man
how come my gauge is still at a little past 210 even with a t-stat i have a '00 camaro ss is it the dummy gauge that everyone talks about

You have to reprogram the on/off points of your fans.

WS6freak 08-25-2005 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 98z28chevy
I have a question to get a new T-Stat i need a new housing? If so does the 160 t-stat come with new housing?

You don't have to but it is better if you get the one with the housing. Plug an play. Get some hand held device to reprogram your on/off fan points though, or the stat will be useless. Hypertech Power Programmer 3, etc...

Fbody Man 08-25-2005 01:44 AM

i already tuned my car for the t-stat

Danny2tek 08-25-2005 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fbody Man

The only gauge with accurate readings is the 98 f-body. 99-02 will only show normal or overheating. (dummy gauge)