Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust.....what size to run from collectors back

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust.....what size to run from collectors back

I have the Grott 1 7/8" LT's. Sane exact thing as the QTP 1 7/8" headers, they're made by the same company. [b]I'm taking my cats off and getting a Flowmaster merge.

An exhaust shop today said they have 3" diameter collectors. I thought they were bigger.

What should be run from the collectors back to the Flowmaster merge, then out of the merge back to the muffler.

I have close to 500 RWHP and I'm planning on better heads, a cam upgrade and the Hurricane Butterfly intake. So figure on alot more RWHP. Another 100 RWHP, from what I've been told anyway.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I was told to do this, but don't you have to run the two off the collectors into the Y, then into a slightly larger single pipe all the way back to the muffler?

How do I run a 4" from each collector if the collector is only 3" in diameter?

I'm a bit confused.

"Change the Y collector to a 4" and run a short 4" pipe to a 3.5" or 4" cuttout."
Old 09-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a 4" collector, you'll have to cut the existing ones on there off and weld on a different one. Not sure how easy that would be to do...

If it was me, I'd leave the 3" collector, and if you want a y-pipe setup, just run a 3" y-pipe into a Flowmaster 4" merge collector, and go from there back.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you want a 4" collector, you'll have to cut the existing ones on there off and weld on a different one. Not sure how easy that would be to do...

If it was me, I'd leave the 3" collector, and if you want a y-pipe setup, just run a 3" y-pipe into a Flowmaster 4" merge collector, and go from there back.
You mean get the Flowmaster with the 3" inlets that merge, than exit a 4" outlet into the pipe that goes back and over the axle.

So a 1" jump won't hurt anything? Man I hear so many different opinions on this.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No...that is one of the best flowing merge collectors out there.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool, its $59.00 at Flowmaster, I'll get it now.