Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me not get ripped off (getting a true dual put onto my SS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me not get ripped off (getting a true dual put onto my SS)

So as I said in the title I have an '02 SS that I'm in love with. I've decided that I'm giving myself a Christmas present and putting a true dual onto it. Here's where things get a bit sticky. I've never, ever had anything modded on any vehicle I own. I have only the roughest of ideas as to the cost (right around 1k?) and I don't know what to say on the phone to these guys when I call in so in order to not sound like a complete moron ripe for the picking. Also, if any of you live in or are familiar with the Houston area, any recommendations on where I should go to get this done?

Edit: Also, do I need to put headers on at the same time? How much are those? Will it cost me more to take them out back instead of dumping them under the car?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok lets see...
1) yes do headers first, headers cost between $400-$1,000+
2) my dual exhaust kit- $160, mufflers- $175, installation-$90
sponsors carry kits already fitted to the car, and ready to install, try TSP------->
3) read the sticky at top of the page titled "Mod guide induction and exhaust"
Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call TSP and get the complete kit. Headers and duals.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

get headers 1st, cuz its useless to have TD's and no headers. Depending on where you live and the weather conditions will affect the cost of the headers. as for the TD's go with TSP(which only work with pacesetters, hooker I believe) or Lanes TD system.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

I did TD's first on my 02 Z28 mainly for the sound.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Call Texas Speed and have them set you up with the Pacesetter Headers and their True Dual exhaust kit (which is currently on sale!) The package is less than 1000$ and the sound is unbelievable.

I have this setup on my highly modified car and it performs wonderfully - it will do the same for your SS, as well. It will cost extra to run the duals all the way out the back, and this will have to be a custom job from your local exhaust shop. I'd stay away from that. All too often, custom exhausts don't turn out the way the customer wants and they're almost never happy with the results. The TSP setup is tried and true.

Good luck, and congratulations on deciding to mod!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how are the fumes and resonance with the texas speed system?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Its going to resonate under the car. You will feel it and hear it. As far as exaust fumes what do you think? Your exiting it under your passenger compartment. When your standing still where are they going to go? In your windows if they're open, or it will find any leak. They do sound great. Any dumped exaust will do the same it has nothing to do with mfg'er. Unless of couse your running the quietest most power robbing muffler you can find.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

dumping it under the car will be relatively cheap.

going out the back over the axles will definitely cost you a lot.
I looked into it a while back, and every real setup that I could find would cost a bit over $1000.. probably closer to $1300 - 1400 by the time you're all done. (that's just for the duals, not the headers... mandrel bends of course)
Old 12-01-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Cost me about 1500 with madrel bend custom duels and header installation, +over the axle. made the mistake of doing duels first the headers so It cost me more mula for extra bends
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
You're supposed to angle the dumps 45° outward during installation, and this helps scatter the fumes. I've not had a fume issue with mine at all.

The resonance is the only real downside to the duals, but that is only at certain (low) RPMs.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have never done any performance mods on your car, you may want to consider letting one of the sponsors set you up with headers and a true dual exhaust kit along with installation.
Complete exhaust replacement isn't something you will be able to do in your driveway without some tools. You might be happier letting a pro do it.
I'm pretty sure that there are some sponsors in or near Houston, TX that would love to help you out.

I would highly recommend MTI in Houston... http://www.motorsporttech.com/
They are top notch and can handle this for you with ease.
JC
Old 12-01-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
If you have never done any performance mods on your car, you may want to consider letting one of the sponsors set you up with headers and a true dual exhaust kit along with installation.
Complete exhaust replacement isn't something you will be able to do in your driveway without some tools. You might be happier letting a pro do it.
I'm pretty sure that there are some sponsors in or near Houston, TX that would love to help you out.

I would highly recommend MTI in Houston... http://www.motorsporttech.com/
They are top notch and can handle this for you with ease.
JC
I have use of my grandfather's mechanics and garage, he owns a construction company here in Houston and has told me that he'd be fine with me using the garage there. I will definitely consider letting a pro do it though as I really don't want to **** up my car.

I've decided I'm gonna go with the TSP setup, how hard would it be, or is it even possible, for me to get kooks or qtp headers with that setup? Also: Exactly how bad is the rattling, etc.? I don't mind fumes, and I'll make sure that whoever ends up doing it puts it out at 45 degrees as suggested so that I get less fumes.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

get the TSP with Sweet thunders instead of bullets....u will prolly be happy with the sound.....more aggresive
Old 12-01-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

if all you want to do for now is put duals on, the bassani tru-duals bolts directly to the factory cats. click the 00 formula link in my sig for pics of it hooked to the cats.

cost is $949.00 through www.vincihighperformance.com you can do it yourself.

and contrary to what was said by 2000BLKSupersport, it isn't useless. unless .3 and 3mph is considered useless.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Realistically, how much horsepower am I standing to gain here? Also, how much time will this take off my 1/4?

Trans: I love the way Sweet Thunders sound, my friend has them on his WS6, but can TSP put the sweet thunders on instead of the bullets or am I gonna have to pay a few hundred bucks more?

Oh, and my budget: I have a total of 1300 dollars to work with. I can put in another 100-200 dollars if it really seems worth it but I'd have to scrounge around and go without beer for a month

Edit: that basani exhaust looks absolutely killer, but is it really THAT much better than the TSP one?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to Chime in "covet". But since were on the subject.... Does anyone know if there is a company who who could bend me a system thats 3" mandrel from the ORY back with a flowmaster 10 series in it? If anyone does please pm me. Thanks Alot!!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Covet
Edit: that basani exhaust looks absolutely killer, but is it really THAT much better than the TSP one?
Bassani's duals are more because it runs over the axle and out the back, where-as the TSP duals dump before the axle. For the price of the Bassani, you could get TSP duals + Pacesetter LT headers and still have money left over compared to Bassani. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

bassani has an aluminized version for $779.00 the bassani comes with x-pipe and everything to go over the axle. 2.5" pipes. everything bolts to the factory positions. some things to consider will be interior noise level you are prepared to accept with duals that dump before the axle. also, look into your states laws about dumping before the axle.

realistically, i gained .3 and 4 mph over stock exhaust.

from my 00 formula
dyno stock vs bassani

from my 99 formula
dyno borla adjustable vs basssani tru-duals
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Damn, .3 with just the exhaust huh? So how much ya think the headers will shave off?