Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Christmas mods, QTP headers and true duals Over the axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Christmas mods, QTP headers and true duals Over the axle

For Christmas this is what I plan to buy myself.
Stainless steel QTP headers with HVMC's.

Race style headers with no AIR or EGR fittings. All of my AIR and EGR has been removed and I currently have block off plates on the Hooker headers.

The other change I would like to make is custom true duals over the axle with an x-pipe to take full advantage of the high velocity merge collectors. Not exactly like the picture since I would not have the center exit exhaust, just true duals and tips.

Link
I would however copy the dual's over the axle with Borla XR-1, Dynomax, or proflow twisters mufflers at the rear.
These mods are for both power and sound since I hate the raspy sound I've had with every exhaust I've ever had on the car besides the stock setup. It should free up some hp, increase my ground clearance, and possibly weigh less or only equal to the current setup. This exhaust will probably be the final mod I need to complete before getting tuned, since I don't plan on any more power mods.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

ok.....good job?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typical true duals exhaust post. I just wondered what people thought about doing the true duals over the axle. I know it's going to be a tight fit with 2.5" tubing, but my only concern is the stock pan hard brace. I've seen pics of people running true duals and keeping the stock pan hard brace.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice christmas present
Old 12-03-2005, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Default sweet...

That is a sweet exhaust sys!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

You will like the headers. They are awesome
Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

If you are going to go true duals, might as well go 3". You don't need the rear panhard brace either. Unless you road race, get rid of it. It'll save some weight too.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
If you are going to go true duals, might as well go 3". You don't need the rear panhard brace either. Unless you road race, get rid of it. It'll save some weight too.
You do need the rear panhard brace if you even think about driving the car on the street. I know people take the brace out for drag racing, but GM put that brace there for a reason on a street car. I'd never drive without the brace.
I definately wouldn't go without the brace because my car is lowered with Koni's, bigger sway bars, wider tires etc.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the HVMC worth the extra money?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
You do need the rear panhard brace if you even think about driving the car on the street. I know people take the brace out for drag racing, but GM put that brace there for a reason on a street car. I'd never drive without the brace.
I definately wouldn't go without the brace because my car is lowered with Koni's, bigger sway bars, wider tires etc.

The brace is not needed. It is perfectly safe to drive with no panhard brace on and off the track. I had mine off my old third gen for a long time with no ill effects. It's there to add support to the panhard bar for cornering, but if you are into drag racing, ditch it. Hell, get rid of your front sway bar as well.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The brace is not needed. It is perfectly safe to drive with no panhard brace on and off the track.
Then why would the GM engineers add the brace to the rear suspension in the first place?
I'm sure people have gotten away with not having the barce on their car but your assumption "It is perfectly safe to drive with no panhard brace on and off the track", is just that, an assumption. It's also a risk I wouldn't be out proclaiming to be fact.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Then why would the GM engineers add the brace to the rear suspension in the first place?
I'm sure people have gotten away with not having the barce on their car but your assumption "It is perfectly safe to drive with no panhard brace on and off the track", is just that, an assumption. It's also a risk I wouldn't be out proclaiming to be fact.
The same reason you could get 35mm front sway bars, 275mm front tires, a tunnel brace, which you can't even keep with many y pipe setups, relatively stiff shocks, etc. Like I said, I've removed it before, as have many other people, for a long amount of time, with no adverse effects. To me, it's simply dead weight, but if you don't feel comfortable removing it, then don't. If you want further advice, ask Lane Hembree, who I'm sure plenty of people know for his custom true duals, why he not only removed it on his personal car, but why he recommends his customers remove it as well.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by D_Run
Is the HVMC worth the extra money?
It's definitely worth some power, but it's up to you if it's worth the extra money or not.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want further advice, ask Lane Hembree, who I'm sure plenty of people know for his custom true duals, why he not only removed it on his personal car, but why he recommends his customers remove it as well.
None of the above are engineers who actually studied, designed, and built the panhard brace. The stamped mount the bar hangs from was obviously designed to be reinforced where it is to prevent failure.
Just because your mount hasn't broken/failed doesn't mean it won't happen, or happen in an abnormal driving situation aka during an accident causing you to lose stability in the rear.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ****...here come the internet mechanics. Dude, don't listen to these people (not that you are anyways). The upper panhard brace is there for a reason...

Anyhoo, that's exactly what I bought myself last Christmas (well, the true duals, as I already had the Kooks headers). I don't think they make 2.5" Borla XR-1s...maybe I'm wrong. I think they only offered them in 3", which might be a problem. I think you can squeeze the 2 2.5" pipes over the stock upper panhard brace, but the BMR relocation kit makes things MUCH easier.

Who are you having fab them up? Just make sure they know what they are doing...this setup is not easy to make.