Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladies and gentlemen... Ok I really just need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Ladies and gentlemen... Ok I really just need some input.

Well here's the deal. My exhaust system is pacesetters and TSP duals. It used to be loud at startup, but would quiet down once running. The F14 bumpstick changed all that, now its entirely too loud for taking out the girlfriend, driving around parking lots, going to the movies, PULLING INTO MY DRIVEWAY... etc.

Here's the real problem, LOVE the way the duals sound, when I want a real exhaust system, BUT I have to do somthing before I **** off the neighbors too much. GOAL, have best of both worlds.

Behind my shed, I still have the slowmaster exhaust with the z28 tips and all my old stuff. Have access to a lift and welding/cutting stuff, and some creative rednecks who are used to working on a budget (dirt cars )

I've been rolling around lots of ideas about y-pipes ( ), cats, etc, and really LOVE the duals too much to do any of these. Here's my idea so far, a Frankenstein!

I've also began to realize it won't be easy getting people to run because with my current cam and exhaust, I remove the "unsuspecting" element. This would make the car seem tame, untill the flick of a switch.

I'm open to all comments or suggestions, the only downside i see to this system is the extra weight, but I could really use some THERE if anywhere right now. I know it looks crazy, but so do alot of new ideas (Earth is round?), so keep an open mind

Old 12-14-2005, 01:11 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting I will give you that lol.

Dual cutouts as I have found out are overkill. People actually loose hp with them compared to a single cutout. So I would stick with one instead of two.

Thought about going with the Spiral Mufflers instead? That what I choose. They are supposed to be pretty tame; especially compared to the bullets.

Also may want to consider going to a Y pipe setup with a Magnaflow system. Or better yet the dual dual. You could run cats as well and throw an Electric cutout on there for when you want loud.

IDK I am just throwing out some ideas for ya.

I would be curious to hear what that sounds like though.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:15 AM
That's what she said...

The only real purpose of the dual cutouts would be to return the system to the sound/power that it produces RIGHT NOW, which IMHO is hard to improve upon.

I have thought of the spiral flow, but I'm looking for Sleeper/DD quietness for comfort while cruising and listening to music, and roarage while at the car meets
Old 12-14-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very interesting idea!!!...It would add some extra weight to the car as you know but should be quieter...

You might just look into getting different mufflers. I've had several dual setups and right now I have 3" Dr. Gas X with Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers under the car and they are pretty quiet unless you are at WOT.
Even Flow Pro Twisters or Spiral flows are a little quieter than bullets but still sound awesome at WOT...

Good luck and keep us posted if you go with your current idea....
Old 12-14-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good to me, but any leaks will get on your nerves very quickly. Another option is to run under the axles and then another two bullets out the back. This will quiet it down normally, but will still be fairly loud at WOT, plus it wont be a restriction when you really need to step on it NOW.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

That definatley looks creative and interesting. Kudos for thinking outside of the box.

If you're looking to quiet down the exhaust, why not run the duals over the axles and add full size mufflers behind the axle. I ran my x-pipe setup over the axle with two Borla Pro XS mufflers stuffed next to the t-top compartment.

My car with a hotcam sounded incredible outside the car; hotcam lope My business requires me to be on the phone all the time and I could easily carry on a conversation while cruising. WOT gave that true Muscle car sound.

Luke
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea...I think it's great! That's a nice way to have dumped TD's and a quiet setup also. The only thing I'd do differently is use the quiet SLP DD instead of the chokemaster. That way you can be quiet and powerful also. Good thinking...it's almost tempting for myself.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its ok. I think your best bet and cheapest route would be like the car in this thread

duals pics
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Does the cam really make the car a lot louder? I'm getting the F13 installed and I have the same exhaust set-up as you. If so then I might have to sell my TDs
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will make the idle a little more inconsistent, and therefore will have more resonance, and yeah it will be a tad louder.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:20 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your setup is interesting though. I would have to call it the TD-X-H.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

Nice idea!

It wasn't long after i had my TSP duals, that i begain thinking of this very same thing. My idea was a little different than yours, only because i planned on isolating the exhaust flow to "either or" of the systems.
Pardon the bad photochop.

My idea was to use dual cutouts to send the exhaust flow to either the duals dumped, or my stock "i"pipe, slp dual/dual tips. The hard part would be making the passenger side cutout "butterfly"perfectly with both the dual dump pipe AND the 90 going to the stock "i"pipe. By using the cutouts this way, you would only be able to hear "one" exhaust tone.
See if you look at your layout , your cutouts will let "some" of the exhaust out after the bullets, but most will travel out to your slowmaster.
How do i know this?

This is my set up now.

See where i have my cutouts? Right behind the headers. When i push the button, my car gets crazy loud. (good thing) But when i get out of the car, and stand behind the rear bumper, ALOT of exhaust is still traveling through the Sweet Thunders. ( not so good)
So your layout will give you TWO different exhaust "tones" at the same time, which i don't think you'll like.

A sleeper/screamer system would be a great thing to achieve, no doubt. And i'm not knocking you for trying. Just my .02

Last edited by Stark; 12-15-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:11 PM
That's what she said...

Stark - I had thought that some of the sound might continue to come out and get out of the flowmaster, but i figured it would be muffled quiet by the Flowmaster itself, and overpowered by the bullets.

I also thought having the bullets in line with the flowmaster might acually "enhance" the sound that the flowmaster produced somehow

Getting rid of these duals was inevitable. It feels like I'm driving a prostock around all the time, when I'd rather just drive a street car . I scared off a Z06 the other day, (he pulled up to a light next to me, then drove right through it on red). Well maby i diddnt scare him off, but you guys can let me think that! This was before the cam, so he definatly would have beaten me

Now I'm thinking of a set of magnaflow/carsound cats a little harder. How much noise reduction can i expect with these in place? Will it sound like chit after them? All these choices!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

It will definately be quieter with the cats, and IMO will also sound better.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stark
Nice idea!

This is my set up now.

See where i have my cutouts? Right behind the headers. When i push the button, my car gets crazy loud. (good thing) But when i get out of the car, and stand behind the rear bumper, ALOT of exhaust is still traveling through the Sweet Thunders. ( not so good)
So your layout will give you TWO different exhaust "tones" at the same time, which i don't think you'll like.
That's a nice looking setup. If you really wanted to quiet it down, you have all the room you need to add 2 regular sized mufflers right before the Y tips. I wonder what that setup would sound like with just 2 Flowmaster 40's or Hooker Aerochambers mounted right before the tips like the 05 Mustang GT's? I like my dumped duals now, but if I ever want to quiet them down, that looks like a good route to go to take the exhaust all the way out the back.

Jason
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

One other problem with the original design in the first post, how are you going to crossover the driveshaft and torque arm back there, not much room.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

1. Dont spend all the money throwing some hack-job exhaust under there. In theory it's nice, but in reality its going to just be weird (two notes, not very free flowing, etc).

2. Get some Carsound cats off ebay and throw them in before the X, then do a cheap under-the-axle set of pipes to really quiet it down inside. If it's still loud, throw another set of Bullets after the axle for two on each side. It's still flow great and quiet it down. And you'll have far less money tied up in all of it, and it'll be RIGHT, over the other options (dual cutouts, especially electric which would be the only way to go in that setup, would be ridiculously expensive).

3. If thats STILL too loud, Borla XR1s in place of the first Bullets should make the car sound damn near stock on the inside. My buddy with a 232/242 TSP nitrous cam in a forged 347 and dumped duals with Borla XR1s is VERY passive inside the car (easily half the volume of my Spiral Flows, which are probably have the volume of your Bullets), but it still roars outside the car. Thats why you'd want to combine them with post-axle Bullets to keep it tame on the outside too since you're worried about neighbors.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh99ta
1. Dont spend all the money throwing some hack-job exhaust under there. In theory it's nice, but in reality its going to just be weird (two notes, not very free flowing, etc).

2. Get some Carsound cats off ebay and throw them in before the X, then do a cheap under-the-axle set of pipes to really quiet it down inside. If it's still loud, throw another set of Bullets after the axle for two on each side. It's still flow great and quiet it down. And you'll have far less money tied up in all of it, and it'll be RIGHT, over the other options (dual cutouts, especially electric which would be the only way to go in that setup, would be ridiculously expensive).

3. If thats STILL too loud, Borla XR1s in place of the first Bullets should make the car sound damn near stock on the inside. My buddy with a 232/242 TSP nitrous cam in a forged 347 and dumped duals with Borla XR1s is VERY passive inside the car (easily half the volume of my Spiral Flows, which are probably have the volume of your Bullets), but it still roars outside the car. Thats why you'd want to combine them with post-axle Bullets to keep it tame on the outside too since you're worried about neighbors.
Not very free flowing? His pics show dumped TD's. He's got an X-pipe, 2 resonators and then a cutout on either side. It would flow excellent. When he wanted it quiet, he would close the cutouts and then who cares if a couple hp is lost.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:35 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by josh99ta

Hack job? If you want to see hack job, just look at the paint on the front of my car, after pushing 110k miles worth of love bugs off the public roadways I think with the facilities at hand, we could make it fairly presentable. Got some guys who are pretty handy with a tig setup

I think the most condemming point is that of the TQ-arm/DS issue. The connecting pipe after the cutouts would have to take a mean dip to clear them.

As Redneck Z said, it would flow awesome with the dual cutouts after the bullets. It would be wierd, yes, but nobody has done anything like this (that i've seen at least).

I think I'm going to run it under the axle and out the back, then see what it sounds like. If its still loud, THEN i'll come back and throw some cats in before the X. I have been thinking this way all day long, especially after seeing DVST8OR's car

I think this is what did it for me (sorry about the pirating! )

Its got sorta the same look from the rear as an 03/04 cobra has, maby that will make it faster!
Old 12-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Good plan, that is a badass picture. That'll quiet it down inside a good bit. If its still too loud on the outside cats should finish off the job and still leave you with a good tone.