Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's, RT Bullet Cats, 2.5" Ypipe, Hooker Catback + cam

Old 12-17-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LT's, RT Bullet Cats, 2.5" Ypipe, Hooker Catback + cam

This combo couldn't have fit my needs better! After a year and a half of duals (8 months of which they were dumped at the axle), I started getting sick of the drone, fumes, and noise level. I wanted something that had NO interior drone or resonance, very little interior noise, no fumes, but still a decent sound outside the car.

Dropped my car off at the muffler shop today and after talking with the guys about exactly what I wanted with the Ypipe and how I wanted it built, and how I wanted it to fit they did a great job of building it to complete the Hooker catback and the RT cats.

Heres exactly what was put on the car:

Random Tech. 7000 bullet race cats
2.5" Custom Y using 2.5-3" flowmaster Merge
Hooker catback.

The car has Jet hot longtubes, and a TR230 cam.

I am extremely happy with the setup, hardly any noise on the interior (just a low subtle soothing tone of exhaust), still a healthy sounding tasteful exhaust note and tone on the outside, and no fumes. I can talk on my cell again in the car, can listen to the radio about 5-10 levels lower b/c the stereo doesn't compete w/ the exhaust. It's also got great ground clearance and fitment!

The shop was able to fit the cat right up to the dr. side collector by flanging it to the collector so that they could maximize ground clearance on the system.

I'll try and get pics up tommorow, it was too late to take them tonight, but I'll try and get a few up tom.

All in all, anyone wanting to switch from duals to a much more "tame" setup ... I'd highly recommend the setup. The hooker catback is great!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics ... sorry a few are dark, i'll work on some better ones tom.

Here's a shot of my ground clearance at the lowest point:

With my old 3" duals, I couldn't even roll a can under my lowest point, the can would get caught on the piping before it reached the lowest point. So i picked up almost 3/4" clearance with this setup.

Last edited by FstBlkz28; 12-20-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Post some sound clips.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Sweet! Those are some tiny cats.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Damn JP....looks good!! Did you find any rattles or squeaks yet? Are you going to dyno it again anytime soon?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify, did you put the cats on both header collectors?

Glad to hear you are happy with your setup...I switched from a catted Hooker to duals because I thought the Hooker was too quiet
Old 12-19-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Just to clarify, did you put the cats on both header collectors?

Glad to hear you are happy with your setup...I switched from a catted Hooker to duals because I thought the Hooker was too quiet
Yes, I've got the cats on both header collectors.

lol, I've sorta come full circle ... when I first put headers on I had the LT's + 3" catted Y (carsound cats) + Corsa, I wanted louder - so I added a cutout ... still wanted louder/meaner so I went to duals over the axle. Then removed the tailpipes, was in heaven for a few months then the sound and fumes started getting to me

I'll try and get some sound clips later today, and my camera is charging so I can take some pictures WITH the flash on.

With the hooker, the interior noise is much less than I was expecting which is even better. I had thought it was that quiet on the outside, but after listening to my dad rev it up a few times it's got enough noise for me.

And now i can get on the highway without every cop within 3 cities knowing that I'm coming their way
Old 12-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Is the pipe flattened? Get some new pics up! Thoee are too dark to tell. I'd like to show my exhaust guy to see if he can build a similar set-up.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Is the pipe flattened? Get some new pics up! Thoee are too dark to tell. I'd like to show my exhaust guy to see if he can build a similar set-up.
No none of its flattened! I'll try and get outside and get some pictures ... its been raining here ever since my last post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry it's taking so long ... I've got the pictures on my camera ... but I had to send my laptop to dell to get the back light fixed so I don't have any computers with the software to load the pics. I'll load the pics and a vid clip as soon as my comp gets back here in the next few days.

Last edited by FstBlkz28; 12-31-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

TTT ... get those pics up, dude!

Search this Thread