Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ls1 Leaking waterpump: any upgraded replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ls1 Leaking waterpump: any upgraded replacements?

Ive got a 98 f-body ls1 and the water pump leaks slightly when I fired it up recently. Its not coming from the mounting gaskets as I just replaced those with the reusable kind but it seems to be coming from between the pump and the pulley but its hard to tell. The motor has been sitting for a few years so it may be a bad seal?
Anyways since I am looking to replace it anyways are there any reasonably priced replacements? How are the rebuilt ones on ebay or at the local autoparts stores?

Ive also heard the ls2 waterpumps can be used and have a lighter rotating mass? Would it be worth the upgrade?

thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

If the LS2's aren't much more in cost and can be used, why not? To me though, a water pump is a water pump unless you have a radical boosted motor that needs a high volumne water pump. That said, I would get a new one. Some parts stores will have brand new pumps and not rebuilt ones. If you have a Quadco or somewhere that sells Delco brand parts, that's what I'd do. Or at least find a store (Carquest) that sells new water pumps, not rebuilt ones at Autozone.

BTW, what all is done to your 454SS? Those trucks are pretty nice if done up right and taken care of (unlike alot of them nowdays).

Jason
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are also electric waterpumps, that wont eat up any horsepower....
Old 12-19-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the EWP
Old 12-19-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
there are also electric waterpumps, that wont eat up any horsepower....
I highly reccomend this upgrade.

Once you have a car with them going back to belt driven you put the elecs on your need to buy list.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. don't recommend the EWP. They might free up a little hp, but they are heavier than stock and when they fail, you have no warning.

Go with a "GM" replacement or a good aftermarket one.

A "Evans" pump sold by a few of our sponsors is another good option.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS

BTW, what all is done to your 454SS? Those trucks are pretty nice if done up right and taken care of (unlike alot of them nowdays).

Jason
Nothing too major, just a few things to freshen the appearance up a little. Motor is essentially stock. I havent driven it in over a year though as I was trying to sell it. But I may just keep it now and use it as a weekend driver instead of a daily (only 10 mpg!)
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think an electric would be a good option for me right now but its something I may upgrade to when I want more HP.

But about how much do they cost and how many HP are we talking?

What does a good new water standard water pump run usually?

Lastly can anyone confirm that a ls2 waterpump will work?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyp
Nothing too major, just a few things to freshen the appearance up a little. Motor is essentially stock. I havent driven it in over a year though as I was trying to sell it. But I may just keep it now and use it as a weekend driver instead of a daily (only 10 mpg!)
Yeah my friend has a 90, and he's done all the bolt ons you can: hedman Elite long tubes, 2.5 true duals w/ X, Edelbrock Performer, and a 4" K@N. I couldn't believe how much these simple mods make on these trucks. He runs about dead even with a stock LT1 Z28 until he runs out of gear at 110...

Jason
Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

i bought a new (unrefurb) GM one for like $260. ouch.

those autoparts stores ones with lifetime warranties could mean a lifetime of often replacing them. this was the case for an alternator, which was much easier than the waterpump to change.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by skunk50
i bought a new (unrefurb) GM one for like $260. ouch.

those autoparts stores ones with lifetime warranties could mean a lifetime of often replacing them. this was the case for an alternator, which was much easier than the waterpump to change.
I put in mine in 45 minutes? I think your chances with a rebuilt are just as good as a new one, just half the cost. Now on the alternator, I agree, I have not had good experiences with rebuilt ones.

Quick Reply: 98 ls1 Leaking waterpump: any upgraded replacements?