Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my TTS cats hurting my performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my TTS cats hurting my performance?

I recently had my car dynoed, and it only put out 316rwhp and 296rwtq with the mods in my sig. This is with the TC unlocked and the outside temp at 102 F.

I have TTS cats and I know they don't flow anywhere near Random Techs and a couple of the other brands. Could these cats be significantly hurting my car's performance?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You dyno terribly low, and I doubt it's the cats.

With your mods on a 2002 Z28 you should be close to 370 rwhp, if not more.
Cats, even the poor flowing ones will rob you 3 rwhp at the most.

I'll bet you were off by a "tooth" on your timing chain during cam swap !
I'd look at it very closely again.

Look at your dyno graph - where is the max hp ???? You should be above 6000 rpms for sure....If you're not, then it's definitely timing !

Also, was this a "mustang dyno" - that one yields lower numbers as it's a full-load dyno.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AdamSS
You dyno terribly low, and I doubt it's the cats.

With your mods on a 2002 Z28 you should be close to 370 rwhp, if not more.
Cats, even the poor flowing ones will rob you 3 rwhp at the most.

I'll bet you were off by a "tooth" on your timing chain during cam swap !
I'd look at it very closely again.

Look at your dyno graph - where is the max hp ???? You should be above 6000 rpms for sure....If you're not, then it's definitely timing !

Also, was this a "mustang dyno" - that one yields lower numbers as it's a full-load dyno.
370rwhp, with a 3.73 A4 with a 3400 stall and 18" wheels? I dunno about that. Here's my dyno:

Old 01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

You are running a little lean which is robbing some power but with that cam you should definitly be making 350 at least. I make 319 with mods in sig. You are tuned right?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
You are running a little lean which is robbing some power but with that cam you should definitly be making 350 at least. I make 319 with mods in sig. You are tuned right?
Yes, Jeff Creech from Carolina Auto Masters did the tune. Maybe AdamSS is right, and I'm off by a tooth on the timing chain. The car seems to run really strong, though. I just don't know.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Definitly need to check that out, you are losing alot of power some where and unless those cats were some what clogged it shouldn't be that much at all. With a scanner you will be able to see your timing and go from there.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
Definitly need to check that out, you are losing alot of power some where and unless those cats were some what clogged it shouldn't be that much at all. With a scanner you will be able to see your timing and go from there.
Ok, thanks guys. I'm taking it into the shop for a head swap later this month. I'll get it checked out.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been running TTS headers with the cats for 3 years now, and they don't seem to be hurting too much.

I'm going to try to have a pair of straight pipes fabbed up this winter to use at the track. But looks like the bolts on the cat to header flange are well rusted, rounded one off trying to remove it after dousing it in PB Blaster. Looks like I'm going to have to drill them out.