LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   6.0L Truck Intake vs. LS6 Intake (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/441785-6-0l-truck-intake-vs-ls6-intake.html)

GRFMotorsports 01-23-2006 08:33 PM

6.0L Truck Intake vs. LS6 Intake

Simple question I hope... Im putting together my first Gen III engine, mild little 6.0L should hit about 500 hp. One of my questions is about using the 6.0L intake manifold. This will be in a heavy car (4500#) and hood clearance should not be an issue. Which is better and by how much for an engine that needs some good bottom end torque, the truck manifold or a LS6 intake? I have heard that the truck intake is pretty good. Is this true? Thanks!

bbfirebird 01-23-2006 08:43 PM

I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine that the truck manifold would be geared more towards low-end torque than high-RPM power. Maybe someone else can chime in on this..

GRFMotorsports 01-23-2006 08:53 PM

Let me also add that my shift point should be somewhere between 6500-6800 rpm I think.

slimcracka 01-23-2006 08:55 PM

i they did this comparison on the truck side..they said that the truck intake flowed right with the ls6 to about 5500 but then fell on its face..do a seach on the truckperformance website.

Ωmega 01-23-2006 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by slimcracka
i they did this comparison on the truck side..they said that the truck intake flowed right with the ls6 to about 5500 but then fell on its face..do a seach on the truckperformance website.

He's right, the LS6 outperforms the truck manifold (accross the board, I believe) but very much so above the 5500 mark, like he said. Go with the LS6, it's your best bet :thumb:

jrp 01-23-2006 09:47 PM

the long runners of the 6.0 intake stifle its rpm capabilities. that being said, whats the rest of the combo?

Cheatin' Chad 01-23-2006 09:54 PM

I have tried to push that intake as far as it will go. It is no good above 5,000 RPM from what I have seen.

All testing with this was done on an '04 Silverado SS. After trying everything I could think of everything I did pointed to the intake absolutely killing me.

Silverado SS:
Heads(Patriot SIII/mild mods by me)/Cam(231/237 custom cam)
200 wet shot
Headers
Tuning
Volant CAI
Converter
22" Rims and Nitto 555s :)
Pump gas
Dropped 2.5/4 and air bags

The truck eventually went mid/bottom 11's. I feel we could have cracked into the 10's with a good intake and a trans that wasn't on it's way out.

If you're not running a mild engine that you want modest performance from ditch this intake.

GRFMotorsports 01-23-2006 10:03 PM

I think Chevy Hi Performance did a side by side flow test back in 04 on these but I cant find the article. The flow numbers were close, I just dont remember where it fell off at. I was hoping the 6.0L intake would be close to an LS6 but its not looking that way so far. I can get one almost new w/ everything on it for under $100 vs what the LS6 intakes fun. Just tryin to keep it a cheap project. As for the rest of the engine... nothing is set in stone, Im still accumulating parts.

camaroextra 01-23-2006 10:40 PM

consider also an ls2 intake

Cheatin' Chad 01-23-2006 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by GRFMotorsports
I think Chevy Hi Performance did a side by side flow test back in 04 on these but I cant find the article. The flow numbers were close, I just dont remember where it fell off at. I was hoping the 6.0L intake would be close to an LS6 but its not looking that way so far. I can get one almost new w/ everything on it for under $100 vs what the LS6 intakes fun. Just tryin to keep it a cheap project. As for the rest of the engine... nothing is set in stone, Im still accumulating parts.

I saw the same test. I have the mag somewhere around here. I don't care how close they look on the bench. When you start leaning on the motor it's a detriment.

If you are building a mild engine it will be fine.