Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corsa waaay too loud....cat/ resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default corsa waaay too loud....cat/ resonator?

which one would u use. i just need to tone it down some. it can stay loud but i need to get some of the tone back and rasp out of it. i just installed my pacesetters and mufflex ory yesterday and its too much. no room for 2 cats up front so it would be a single behind the merge. what do u think. i have til sat to figure it out as its getting dyno tuned monday and im sure whatever i do will affect it some how.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added Magnaflow cats to my Corsa setup and it's the perfect LS1 sound IMO. Very nice choppy burble at idle and really roars from 3500rpms up. No rasp or the raw sounds associated with the ORY. Why is there no room to cut the Y and add a set of cats in their place? I have plenty of room for two cats before my Flowmaster merge. Unless i'm missing something an experience muffler shop could do this very easy.

I don't like the idea of a cat in the I pipe, with all cylinders going thru one cat it would likely be a real restriction. But as to your original question, cats will really clean the Corsa sound up.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
I added Magnaflow cats to my Corsa setup and it's the perfect LS1 sound IMO. Very nice choppy burble at idle and really roars from 3500rpms up. No rasp or the raw sounds associated with the ORY. Why is there no room to cut the Y and add a set of cats in their place? I have plenty of room for two cats before my Flowmaster merge. Unless i'm missing something an experience muffler shop could do this very easy.

I don't like the idea of a cat in the I pipe, with all cylinders going thru one cat it would likely be a real restriction. But as to your original question, cats will really clean the Corsa sound up.
i tucked my y up pretty good so the drivers side doesnt really have any room. the pass side would fit perfect.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 PM
9 Second Club

which cats are everyone using. seems as though there are several magnaflow cats. i just saw 3 diff ones on ebay.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Wow not to criticise but you think a Corsa is too loud, and here I am driving around with Longtubes, dumped duals and a 3600 stall...
Old 03-06-2006, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Wow not to criticise but you think a Corsa is too loud, and here I am driving around with Longtubes, dumped duals and a 3600 stall...
That's not loud....that's insane! I already got pulled over once cause the cop said my GMMG was too loud and I have stock manifolds and cats!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

I think it sounds great, even my gf doesn't mind much (and she drives it). It's getting routed out the back soon though.

Anyway sorry for hi-jack.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:10 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

If you dont want to mess with cats you could try to put a borla xr-1 muffler in i-pipe. i had a stainless works ory pipe with my corsa exhuaust and i know exactly what you are talking about, it was loud and raspy. I put a stainless works muffler in my i-pipe and that toned it down alot but i still had the rasp. From what i have read the borla xr-1 muffler dose the job....
Old 03-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Random Tech makes a nice set of cats. ls2 bait, Any longtube setup with ORY is probably going to have a rasp, some worst than others. I would say go get a good set of cats and your problem will be solved.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

im sure running a pair of cats in the y would help a bunch but i dont have the room for that. car is lowered and the mufflex y is kind of intrusive. i was thinking about a single dynomax bullet in the i pipe or a single cat. ive been told the cat will hurt power and it could fail down the road. i know the cat will do what i want as my buddy has it but i plan on having this set up for a while and dont want to lose a bunch of hp because i dont like the rasp.