Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need TD Pics, parts info, etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need TD Pics, parts info, etc

I got the opportunity to buy some long tube headers recently and at the same time found someone that is going to buy my Borla catback. So now I want to start building my own true dual system. I have a general idea on how Im going to do this but I wanted to see some pics of how others have set up there system. My general plan is to use 2 1/2" pipe.I want to following the path of the y-pipe on the driver side bringing it over to the passenger side, but then do a h-pipe there. Then bring the 2 pipes down next to the torque arm and driveshaft.

Next is where I need help. Ive heard that there is a place that sells a 4" over the rear axle pipe. I wanted to take an idea from a friend and custom fab it. Split it in 2, put in a piece of sheet metal to make it into 2 pipes, weld it back together. Have the 2 pipes come in to that, over the axle, then split again afterwards and out the back. But I cant find anyplace that his this 4" pipe for LS1 F-Bodys. Anyone have a clue?

Next problem is where to put the mufflers. I dont know if Ill have enough room to put 2 mufflers after the axle then go out the back unless the one on the passenger side goes in then back out on the same side? How would it affect the purpose, sound, power and so on if I put the mufflers before the axle then ran the pipe all the way out the back? Would it affect anything to have the exhaust run through that much pipe before it comes out the back?

Anyways, ANY help, ideas, pictures, or input would be really very appreciated so that I can get this done and hopefully with as little problems as possible. So again, any input, especially pics would help me out a lot. Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Noone has any info or help they could give so I dont turn this into a complete disaster?
Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are more than several threads that feature pictures, writeups, and opinions and they are all just a search button away.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

But I cant find anything on a complany that makes any type of 4" over axle pipe and thats probaly the most important thing
Old 04-02-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a thread on page two in this section where this was done with 3" piping and some people were very surprised it was done over the axle. How was that done? The upper panhard bar wasn't in place. So you'll either have to ditch yours or relocate it before you can do this. I've got no exhaust experience but if people were "wowed" with 3" over the axle, their heads may explode if you achieve 4".

Which kinda brings me to my next point, why do you want four inch diameter pipe anyway? You're going to lose power doing that.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

cut it in half, put a piece of sheetmetal in the middle, weld it back together, and you now have two 2" pipes running side by side, using far less room than 2 individual pipes running over the axle. I dont think it would do good to go from 2" to 1 1/2" then back to 2". At least I would guess

whats the name of that thread where they did it with the 3"?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you are too lazy to flip through some pages and actually look - I'll do you a favor and hope the karma brings me something nice from the search button gods. Easily found now on page 3:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/319961-dual-3in-over-axle-muffs-rear-bumper.html
Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP baby...TSP

Old 04-04-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out Lanes True Duals, I have mine run under the axle with frame clearance tubes that give me an extra inch or two clearance. They look awesome and sound even better.