Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Products Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im interested in a group purchase
Old 06-15-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be interested in a GP also
Old 06-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gp

Definately in once they figure out what all is included.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it was measured againt the LS1 manifold not the LS6?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

I believe it was only measured against the Weiand which I thought wasn't a real improvement over the LS6. I think I will wait till there is a comparison against an actual LS6/LSX.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm going to stick with the LS6 manifold I bought a few weeks ago because this wasn't ready then when I ordered it I'm going to wait to see how the LS2 design for LS1 cars works out against a FAST. If this manifold is even within 5hp or so of a FAST on a stock setup, I'll be ordering this setup. If its better than a FAST, even better then
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frosty
Jim, thanks for the much sought after information. Glad to see this manifold is finally getting into the hands of waiting customers. I'm curious to see how they perform on the street and the track.

I'm sure you could EASILY organize a group purchase for these bad boys.

Also, Jim, is the fuel rail in the pics also included?
Yes, the fuel rails are included. We even have a special fitting that the stock fuel line will connect to. For those with the earlier LS1 engines with a built-in regulator in the fuel rails and a return line, we will be offering an inexpensive kit that includes a regulator and return connection. Unfortunately this is not into production yet but should be in about 60 days.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdavis@professiona
For those with the earlier LS1 engines with a built-in regulator in the fuel rails and a return line, we will be offering an inexpensive kit that includes a regulator and return connection.
What years are the earlier models? Would my 99 TA be an earlier model?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Group purchase

I am sorry but we do not sell direct to consumers so we cannot do a group buy. The way our distribution is organized, we have to honor the relationship we have with our distributors. Possibly you could organize a group buy with the company that has been quoting prices on this board.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Jimdavis:

We need some solid results. For the price, this will be a big deal breaker on most setups.
I am not sure I follow what you are saying. The alternative for an aluminum manifold is the Weiand at least $150 more plus the equivalent fuel rail kit set up is probably another $150. So our package is about $300 less than an equivalent combination of parts from others and based on our tests, makes more power. Seems like a win-win to me. And if looks are your thing, our polished version is cosmetically far superior to a black plastic manifold.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JasonWW
What years are the earlier models? Would my 99 TA be an earlier model?
The 1997 and 1998 LS1's used the return system and regulator. Since this change may not have occurred exactly with the model year, to make sure, look at your fuel rail setup. There is a crossover tube in the center of the engine that goes from one fuel rail to the other. If there is a small round metal canister attached to this crossover tube on the driver's side of the fuel rail assembly, then that is the "early" style setup.

To use our manifold with the early setup, you would have to utilize our supplementary kit #52160 or you could plumb your own setup using any aftermarket EFI regulator. The stock regulator is an integral part of the stock fuel rail assembly and cannot be used independently.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A couple things that you may want to consider, is to set the intake up, either with an adapter plate or what have you so that aftermarket throttle bodies, like the nick williams 90mm TB can be used with the intake, alot of people that have already purchased those and fast 90mm intakes might want to try this, and if the TB will work with either intake, it will for sure make it alot more fisable for people to swap them with their fast intakes.

Also, bosses for directport nitrous would also be a very good idea, as it seems that there are more and more people taking that route these days, being able to do it on your intake would also be a good selling point.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. The alternative for an aluminum manifold is the Weiand at least $150 more plus the equivalent fuel rail kit set up is probably another $150. So our package is about $300 less than an equivalent combination of parts from others and based on our tests, makes more power. Seems like a win-win to me. And if looks are your thing, our polished version is cosmetically far superior to a black plastic manifold.
I think the question being asked is how does your intake compare to the other available options, not just aluminium.

Most popular is the GM LS6 intake with a ported stock TB. The next big hike in power comes from the FAST 90mm setup with a 90mm TB.

I'm definitely interested as I only have a LS1 intake on my 99. But I'll probably hold out and wait for results on your 96mm TB/intake. If it performs better than the GM LS6 intake for similar money it will fly off the shelf.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I think the question being asked is how does your intake compare to the other available options, not just aluminium.

Most popular is the GM LS6 intake with a ported stock TB. The next big hike in power comes from the FAST 90mm setup with a 90mm TB.

I'm definitely interested as I only have a LS1 intake on my 99. But I'll probably hold out and wait for results on your 96mm TB/intake. If it performs better than the GM LS6 intake for similar money it will fly off the shelf.
The crate engine that we used for dyno testing is an LS6 engine so we have one of those manifolds. In the very early stages of developing this manifold we did test it against the LS6 and we were a little better. But we subsequently made a lot of changes in our design and improved it. I never went back and tested it against the LS6. We never really considered testing against the FAST, mainly because of the huge difference in cost. The Weiand is reported to be slightly better than an LS6 manifold and we are somewhat better than the Weiand so we are making the assumption we are better than the LS6. Assumptions can get you in trouble however.

Dyno testing gets to be very expensive. We have invested a huge amount of money in development and tooling expenses for this manifold already. We paid $6,000 for the crate motor alone, bought just for this project. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the stock coil covers will not work with our manifold. We are designing what I think are some very sharp looking polished aluminum coil covers. These will be out of extruded aluminum which can be relatively thin and light weight. Again, this is another product that is down the road a ways.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

coil covers... fuel rail covers probably.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, like the vettes. They clip onto the fuel rails, so if you use a different fuel rail, they won't just clip on.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crate engine that we used for dyno testing is an LS6 engine so we have one of those manifolds. In the very early stages of developing this manifold we did test it against the LS6 and we were a little better. But we subsequently made a lot of changes in our design and improved it. I never went back and tested it against the LS6. We never really considered testing against the FAST, mainly because of the huge difference in cost. The Weiand is reported to be slightly better than an LS6 manifold and we are somewhat better than the Weiand so we are making the assumption we are better than the LS6. Assumptions can get you in trouble however.

Dyno testing gets to be very expensive. We have invested a huge amount of money in development and tooling expenses for this manifold already. We paid $6,000 for the crate motor alone, bought just for this project. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the stock coil covers will not work with our manifold. We are designing what I think are some very sharp looking polished aluminum coil covers. These will be out of extruded aluminum which can be relatively thin and light weight. Again, this is another product that is down the road a ways.

You should have gotten on here. Saved yourself some money and shipped out an intake or two to someone near you. Just two weeks ago me and about 9 other guys did dynos at the same time.

Switching a manifold doesn't take much. I don't see how testing all three (weind, LS6, yours) couldn't have been done in a day.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
A couple things that you may want to consider, is to set the intake up, either with an adapter plate or what have you so that aftermarket throttle bodies, like the nick williams 90mm TB can be used with the intake, alot of people that have already purchased those and fast 90mm intakes might want to try this, and if the TB will work with either intake, it will for sure make it alot more fisable for people to swap them with their fast intakes.

Also, bosses for directport nitrous would also be a very good idea, as it seems that there are more and more people taking that route these days, being able to do it on your intake would also be a good selling point.
The photo shown is of an earlier version of the design. The production models do have nitrous bosses on them.

I am not familiar with the Nick Williams unit. If it is 90mm and our inlet is 85, a minor amount of grinding on our intake manifold inlet would allow it to bolt up, assuming the Nick Williams unit has the same three bolt pattern as the stock LS1.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
You should have gotten on here. Saved yourself some money and shipped out an intake or two to someone near you. Just two weeks ago me and about 9 other guys did dynos at the same time.

Switching a manifold doesn't take much. I don't see how testing all three (weind, LS6, yours) couldn't have been done in a day.

Yes, you are correct. In hindsight, that would have been the thing to do.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nick williams bolts up to a fast intake... if that's of any help.

Quick Reply: Professional Products Intake Manifold