Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Ditch the Dual/Dual for GMMG or just add LTs to the current setup?
Keep the Dual/Dual and add the LTs and ORY
69.23%
Go for the GMMG, it has a great sound
30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Let's see what you guys think about this

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's see what you guys think about this

I've got my 02 Z that's my daily driver. I just put SLP's Dual/Dual on it, but it's far too quiet for me. But being my daily driver, I don't want it getting too terribly loud. I had LTs, ORY, and Magnaflow on my old Z for a daily and it was too loud. I'm planning on ditching the Dual/Dual for GMMG here soon, but a couple of my buddies are trying to convince me to just spend the money on some Pacesetters and an ORY for my current exhaust. It'd be right around the same amount of money, but I just don't know.

I'm huge on how my car sounds. If I don't like the sound of it, then I'm not pleased with the entire car. So basically, it's either:
1. Get GMMG and pretty much leave the rest of the exhaust stock (too loud with LTs)
2. Leave the Dual/Dual on and add the LTs (will still be pretty quiet though)

Just a tough situation for me because although the power of the LTs would be great, I'm not sure if I'd like the sound with the Dual/Dual. I've heard it in person with LTs and it's still pretty quiet. The GMMG just sounds so good. But if I went with the GMMG, I'd pretty much just leave the stock Y and cats for a good long while.

Which would you do?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

If you want power go with the LT's, if it is only sound then get the gmmg. Personally I would go with the LT's and get a bigger magnaflow muffler.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I'm just wondering if I'd be happy with the sound of the Dual/Dual and LTs. Too quiet?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

if sound is what your after go gmmg,it sounds great with stock manifolds and cats, not to loud in the car at all either.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd personally get the LT's and ORY, but if you really really want a GMMG then i say go for it, b/c if you dont then after you buy the LT's and ORY then youll just want the GMMG still...go with what you think will make you happier. but i have heard a LT/ORY/Dual Dual setup and it sounded pretty good with a 228/230 cam...

what about getting the LT's and ORY, keeping the DD, but getting a cutout?

Jon
Old 04-22-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol I would get the headers and ypipe. You sound like you really want the GMMG .

Go for it. It will be easier to install, and you still might gain a few ponies.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

My dual dual is actually sounding better every year. I was thinking of a GMMG, think I'll keep what I've got.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why are you limiting yourself to those two options?

If I was you, I would get the long tubes and if it is still too quiet, change out the muffler or whole catback to something else.

-OR-

If you don't have to worry about emissions, do what I did, get LTs and get true duals taken under the axle. I've got as good of clearance as anyone with a catted y-pipe (maybe better) and I spent less money and got a LOT better sound. Just a thought.

I would just hate to get the GMMG and know that you aren't ever going to want to put LTs on it because of sound, but you are going to want them for power (I assume). If you don't care about power, go with the GMMG with stock manifolds. But I would think about duals under the axle (dumped will be way too loud as I had to drive mine like that for 2 weeks).
Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Scotty you should hear my car since you are local----it is FLP's with 2OTL. The car has very great manners just sitting in traffic and cruising at any speeds, and sounds very nice when youre in it too. No rasp, no popping, no nothing. The 2OTL quiets it down nicely. That being said, I don't think you'd be unhappy getting the headers and ORY and keeping the dual/dual setup. It'll keep you sounding nice until you have your foot in it which I think is a good setup for a DD.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess the same goes for me, but I'm about 2 hours away. You're welcome to come over to Columbia and go for a ride if you want to hear my setup.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT's, Y-pipe, cutout, keep the dual/dual.

If you really want you can always swap the cat-back later.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rynofasho
Scotty you should hear my car since you are local----it is FLP's with 2OTL. The car has very great manners just sitting in traffic and cruising at any speeds, and sounds very nice when youre in it too. No rasp, no popping, no nothing. The 2OTL quiets it down nicely. That being said, I don't think you'd be unhappy getting the headers and ORY and keeping the dual/dual setup. It'll keep you sounding nice until you have your foot in it which I think is a good setup for a DD.
What's funny is that I had 2OTL sitting around for about a year before I sold it away to someone else. I had originally planned full exhaust with 2OTL, but ultimately decided that I liked the tip on each side thing better (although I still love 2OTL).

I do want headers for the power gain, but also really want the GMMG for the sound. I wish I could find a way to get headers and find a catback that sounds like GMMG on manifolds. Either way is a losing situation for me because I'm also going to want the other later on.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Scotty, have you listened to Matt's car (WS6GoFast)?? He has a GMMG on his right now and he and Josh (SmokinWS6) are going to put QTP LT's on it this coming Tues. You can hear it before and after the LT's. Pursue this, it will leave no doubt about what to do.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
Scotty, have you listened to Matt's car (WS6GoFast)?? He has a GMMG on his right now and he and Josh (SmokinWS6) are going to put QTP LT's on it this coming Tues. You can hear it before and after the LT's. Pursue this, it will leave no doubt about what to do.
No, can't say I've heard it. I was going to buy his exhaust, but he decided to keep it. I actually don't think I've heard GMMG in person. Well, I have, but it was before I really paid attention to it much. I'd love to hear his.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

Seriously, longtubes and a quiet catback is the best of both worlds. If it isnt loud enough find you a cutout and you win!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:42 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rynofasho
Seriously, longtubes and a quiet catback is the best of both worlds. If it isnt loud enough find you a cutout and you win!
Couldn't have said it better.

I'd say headers/y-pipe/dual-dual. I personally think the GODLY GMMG is mostly hype, followed by people who don't want to talk bad about it because they paid too much money for it, but to each his own.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Couldn't have said it better.

I'd say headers/y-pipe/dual-dual. I personally think the GODLY GMMG is mostly hype, followed by people who don't want to talk bad about it because they paid too much money for it, but to each his own.
lol..part of that is prolly right! lol...but i dont care to say it. GMMG with LT's and ORY sounds badass 95% of the time, but that other 5% that it goes through 2100-2400 sounds like bootyhole!

Jon
Old 04-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

I have long tubes with gmmg and it isnt TOOOOO loud. It is VICIOUS!

(in a good way of course)
Old 04-23-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you end up getting the LT's and ORY then later on change to GMMG, just get a catted Y and it will get rid of some of that rasp...

Jon
Old 04-23-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Scotty...You're totally misunderstanding something...

I've had the GMMG cat-back on my '02 Z28 (w/ the rest of the exhaust stock and w/ Kooks LT's + highflow CATTED-Y).

At idle, the volume is nearly identical (maybe a bit louder w/ the LT's). Not quiet, but not loud either.

At part-throttle or cruising around town, the sound is basically the same with the LT's (if not a little quieter). I'm not kidding about that! I couldn't believe my car got a little quieter off acceleration.

Now, when you floor it, the car is noticeably louder at WOT. The GMMG was loud behind stock manifolds, but really roars after the LT's (and that's just w/ highflow cats).

So, the addition of the LT's + catted Y made NO extra volume w/ the GMMG around town or during normal driving. Like I said, idle was similar and part throttle is actually a bit tamer. And if anything, the little drone the GMMG had when the rest of the exhaust was stock went completely away once the headers went on. The GMMG is only louder w/ the headers when you floor the car!

It's your call man, but I'm telling you, I have first hand experience here. The GMMG is not "loud" inside the car (w/ or w/ out headers). You definitely hear the rumble (which is cool), but you can easily have a conversation or listen to music without being annoyed by something like the SLP Dronemouth or an open cutout.

Bottom line though: Just get what you want this time and don't look back. Sure, you'll end up with a more powerful car if you keep the Dual/Dual and add LT's w/ ORY. But that set-up is not going to sound anything like that nice deep rumble you'll get out of the GMMG. Besides, once you add the LT's w/ catted Y, you'll have the best of both worlds (great deep tone, yet the extra power from the headers).

Mike