Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP MODS no hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP MODS no hp?

I have ordered The Flow pack,MAF,Diablo sport against what a lot of people have said but some people say a lid is a lid and they all flow the same and whats wrong with the maf is not bigger(85mm) than the stock one and thus flow better?And as for the smooth belows the must look better than the stock ugly thing.And whats wrong with the k&N element that comes with it No good? must be better than stock.Point is this pack must flow a lot better than stock and produce more HP question is how much?I know the tuner is good cause of all the tuning options gear ratios,tire sizes,transmission stuff and reads DTCS etc etc etc.And price is not that bad for the Maf it is 50% cheaper than any others on the market.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28XTC
I have ordered The Flow pack,MAF,Diablo sport against what a lot of people have said but some people say a lid is a lid and they all flow the same and whats wrong with the maf is not bigger(85mm) than the stock one and thus flow better?And as for the smooth belows the must look better than the stock ugly thing.And whats wrong with the k&N element that comes with it No good? must be better than stock.Point is this pack must flow a lot better than stock and produce more HP question is how much?I know the tuner is good cause of all the tuning options gear ratios,tire sizes,transmission stuff and reads DTCS etc etc etc.And price is not that bad for the Maf it is 50% cheaper than any others on the market.
Aftermarket lids are pretty much all the same. Countless people have learned the hardway not to mess with the stock MAF (detonation, other problems), I don't think a smooth bellows will make any extra HP at all, it didn't for me back in the day. K&N's are ok usually. Tuning should really be custom done by someone who knows what they are doing to aviod future problems and maximize performance. I'd suggest starting w/ lid, TB bypass, CAI free mod, and go from there. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

If you've already purchased the SLP Flow Pack, then you've just made your first newbie mistake to modding the LS1.

Buying those parts as a package like that is a ripoff, as you will learn by reading through this site here. Many people make that mistake because SLP always makes huge HP gain claims for their products. The lid will help the most and you're right: a lid is a lid and they all net about the same HP. The bellow, as you know, does jack ****. And the K&N filters have proved to do next to nothing for adding power to our cars. Get a regular Fram paper filter and save your money next time. The "ram air" thing they give you will help a bit, but not a ton. And finally, their MAF isn't the greatest at all either. If you ever have the car tuned anywhere, they'll likely want you to have the stock MAF in. I know Speed Inc won't tune a car with an aftermarket MAF; you have to purchase a new stock one from them or put your old one in before they'll touch it.

Live and learn.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
If you've already purchased the SLP Flow Pack, then you've just made your first newbie mistake to modding the LS1.

Lid = good mod.

K&N = good filter.

Bellow = cracked lids + .000001 CRANK hp. = wasted money.

MAF = Don't even get me started.

What the hell are you doing here if you're going to read good advice and then not take it? The least you could do is not tell us that you already read the ****. Why don't you stick a piece of 6" PVC in place of the MAF, it would flow tons more air.

This reminds me of this thread....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/446140-so-i-broke-my-maf.html
Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Freeing up the intake isnt going to do much if youre exhaust is still a major restriction. The motor has to efficiently move air as a whole.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

The only problem with that as far as im concerned is the MAF. I made the mistake of purchasing one of the SLPs and already had them replace it cuz it kept throwing the SES light. Put the new one on and its still throwing SES codes. Even after working with the predator its still ******* up. Im just going to put the stocker on and try and get my $100 back. The predator is a good tool if you dont plan on doing anyhting more than bolt-ons... otherwise its prob not worth your money.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:58 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flo-pac =
Old 04-25-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

good luck with your mods.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah that maf will give your tuner nothing but probs...just get a z06 maf or something or keep your stocker...
Old 04-25-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Leave that MAF alone. FWIW my car puts down 500+rwhp through the stock MAF.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Leave that MAF alone. FWIW my car puts down 500+rwhp through the stock MAF.
Exactly. I think I've heard that the stocker is good until 500-550 hp.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

from putting on the flow pac the the fast toys ram air extension i gained a over a mph in the 1/4 over stock and it was 20* warmer too.

but i did have nittos the intake but my clutch started to slip so i know i could be faster with just the intake and nittos
Old 04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those mods = except for the lid. Sorry, but ya gotta face the facts.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Teching In

man i descreened mine without touching the little wires and it works great. no codes no light nothing. put the old one on and leave it alone or descreen it and don't touch the wires.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i rather keep my screen on because when i took my maf off i had a chunk of something that the screen stopped, along with some other **** it caught.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

I am going to Dyno befor and after If there is no gains I will sell these parts and buy better ones I bought SSRA also and same thing if its no good its gone.So Maf sounds like worst part I have got no gains at all?And as for smooth belows thingy I thouht it might look good?And I did buy Loud Mouth aswell.

Last edited by Z28XTC; 04-26-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Ok guys Maf is cancelled.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 AM
That's what she said...

The smooth bellow is mostly for looks, but I like how flexible the stock one is. I used to have a fernco on mine, but it cracked my lid so I tossed it.

The SSRA is a good mod, just be carefull as **** when you're driving or it'll get yanked off real quick like. I'm minus the bottom half right now. I could get a new one for only like $60 or something, but I'd be REALLY pissed if it got ripped off again.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

so Can Someone give me a rough idea what my car will make with Lid,K&N filter,loud mouth,slp preadator,iridium plugs,slp thermostat and fluid damper march underdrive pulley I have 3.73s coming aswell.